Replacing 5th wheel carpet with pergo or wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeg

Hello All:  I am a new 5th wheeler and have a 2001 Coachmen Catalina 24foot with two slide outs.  My wife is alergic to cats and cat dander and the carpet is worn and full of cat dander.  We want to replace the carpet with wood planking like pergo but were told by a mechanic that works on 5th wheels that it is not a good idea because when traveling the floor of the 5th wheel will flex and the wood planks will buckle. Has anyone replaced carpet with wood? ???
Thanks

There are a couple members her that have done that on their motorhomes.  Looks great on the one I saw and no problems reported.

We had our carpet replaced with laminate last fall.  Bradd & Hall in Elkhart, IN, did the work and we really like the results.

I replaced all of the carpet in my motor home with Armstrong laminate flooring last fall and have had no buckling.
Since the installation we have been from CO to AZ for the winter and back to CO for a visit on the way to ID for the summer so we have put a few miles on it.

I know of several 5th wheelers that have installed laminate flooring and have heard no complaints.

A close friend did his two years ago and I know they have had no problems with theirs because we visit them often when we are in he same area.

He does have some aluminum sheets that he puts down when he brings the slides in for the shoes or rollers (don't know which he has) to slide or roll on.

Your Coachman may flex more than others, but I doubt if it will actually buckle the floor. Laminate floors are "floated", i.e. not glued down, so they can move as the floor flexes. The biggest concern is scratching from the slide-outs. The carpet serves as sort of a cushion for the slides rollers or skids, but the wood can easily be marred by them. Do you see any indentations in the carpet from the slide?

I don't know about pergo in an RV, but, FWIW, when we put that type of floor in a stick house, our (medium-sized) dogs had a heckuva time getting around because it was slick and they would slide instead of stop or turn. They didn't like to jump to or from the sofa because of it.  :(

Our dog doesn't like the laminate, but we have 2 throw rugs that give her some traction :)

I replaced the carpet in My C with a tile pattern laminate.  DW loves it so much easier to keep clean We put in ourselves before we went FL.  No problem with buckling.  I floated it with a pad. I would recommend it to any one.

Tony

Pierat said:
I don't know about pergo in an RV, but, FWIW, when we put that type of floor in a stick house, our (medium-sized) dogs had a heckuva time getting around because it was slick and they would slide instead of stop or turn. They didn't like to jump to or from the sofa because of it.  :(

The cat has no problem but the dogs do. However they are so old they don't run anymore - so that isn't an issue - and they can walk around on it with no trouble.
They will come over to the couch and put their front feet up on the edge and ask to be helped up when they want on the couch.
Like Ned we also have some throw rugs.

Speaking from experience, keep an eye on the kitchen & bathroom if you replace the carpet with pergo or anything simular. We had pergo in our home bathroom. When the commode leaked, it buckled so bad we had to rip it out and replace with tile.

Garry Houston said:
Speaking from experience, keep an eye on the kitchen & bathroom if you replace the carpet with pergo or anything simular. We had pergo in our home bathroom. When the commode leaked, it buckled so bad we had to rip it out and replace with tile.

Good point. We didn't install the laminate flooring in the bathroom but did in the kitchen, and per the instructions applied a waterproof glue to the seams in front of the sink and refrigerator as we installed it.
Also used the glue in the entry area. That is supposed to prevent water intrusion damage.
Doubt if it would be enough to save it from something the problem you described though.

Ned, what did it cost to do that in Elkhart?  I looked into replacing my carpet in Florida and they wanted $2800 to do it. Jane is sure I can do it myself, (note not "WE" can do it),  but I am hesitant. I did my previous RV in stages, but I had to cut a lot of corners and wasn't looking for a really high quality finish. And didn't get it.
It seems like Elkhart might be one of the best areas to get the expertise and so forth.
Rankjo

To replace the carpet in the living area and the wood in the galley with laminate cost ~$2,600.

mikeg said:
Hello All:  I am a new 5th wheeler and have a 2001 Coachmen Catalina 24foot with two slide outs.  My wife is alergic to cats and cat dander and the carpet is worn and full of cat dander.  We want to replace the carpet with wood planking like pergo but were told by a mechanic that works on 5th wheels that it is not a good idea because when traveling the floor of the 5th wheel will flex and the wood planks will buckle. Has anyone replaced carpet with wood? ???
Thanks

When considering the prospects of laminate, luxury vinyl, or carpet, there are a lot of things to consider.

First, you need to decide what is more important to you: something soft and comfortable (an escape if you will from the cold and rough outdoors) or something durable enough to stand up to whatever is brought in from the outdoors.  For our customers, the durability of a hard surface is always attractive, as it cleans up easily and it is resilient to almost anything you can throw at it.  Unfortunately, if you have slideouts, many hard surfaces are restrictive to your ability to install such floors all the way under the slideouts (without adjusting the slideout's height totally and completely).  If you can squeeze some hard surfaces under your slideout, many manufacturers of hard surface products wouldn't recommend it.  Each hard surface floor is attributed to what is called a PSI rating (or the amount of pressure in pounds a floor can sustain before it will dent, chip, splinter, crack, etc.).  As such, the mere height of the floor isn't the only factor under a slideout. 

We at Route 66 RV caution our customers away from tile and hardwood.  Instead, we recommend High Pressure Laminate by Wilsonart and Luxury Vinyl Tile to those in need of a hard surface option.  Unlike tile and hardwood which are extremely heavy and susceptible to all kinds of problems in a moving coach traveling from one humidity level to another, High Pressure Laminate and Luxury Vinyl Tile won't crack or buckle when installed properly.  They are made to expand and contract mildly by comparison to hardwood, and they are much less weight than any other hard surface option.

Laminate floors are free-floating, meaning they are clicked together without ever being secured to the subfloor with glue or nails.  As such, the only thing holding them in place are trim pieces (Quarter Round, End Caps, T-Moldings, Reducers, Stair Nosing, etc.).  When you bring this floor of nearly a 1/2" height up to a slideout, a reducer is needed to cap the edge of this surface.  That reducer must cup the top of that floor, increasing the height of that threshold even more.  As such, the height of the floor may in some cases restrict your ability to use laminate under the slideouts in your motorhome.

While there are many options out there in Laminate, there is only one manufacturer who has fully warranted their product in an RV.  How do we know this - because, over the past 34 years that we at Route 66 RV and Pat's RV Carpet and Flooring have been in the trade of remodeling and refurbishing RV carpet and flooring, we have consulted each major manufacturer on the market, from Pergo to Quickstep, Mohawk to Shaw, and only one brand in Wilsonart Flooring has fully stood behind their product in a motorhome setting.  The difference in their product is key!  Wilsonart manufacturers only High Pressure Laminate, while all other manufacturers utilize direct pressure constructions (such as nearly every material made by Pergo, Quick Step, Armstrong, Fabrica, Shaw, Mohawk, etc.).  The difference between the two is extraordinary in that both look and feel similar, but when isolated to their construction, they are clearly two very different products.  High pressure laminate by Wilsonart starts with a 17 mil top surface layer - the first line of defense against any spill, dropped item, etc. - and is combined with 7 other layers compressed under intense heat to ultimately equate to 3-5x thicker than typical Direct Pressure or Low Pressure Laminate. The extra thickness of HPL means extra protection for the floor and, ultimately, better performance.  As a result, Wilsonart Laminate is also the only product that now maintains an Impact Warranty for their product, beyond the normal Wear, Stain, Fade, and Water Damage warranty of 20 years to Lifetime, depending on the style.

Ultimately, while direct-pressure laminate products may look similar to High Pressure Laminate and may cost you less from time to time, the amount of pressure they can sustain, either under your slideouts or by way of a spilled item, will ultimately scratch, scuff, or crack your new floor.  As such, I would not recommend them.  And, don't be misled!  Just because someone says a warranty on one of these products is likely the same from a residence to a motorhome, they are definitely NOT one in the same, and beside Wilsonart, we have yet to find another manufacturer willing to stand behind an RV installation.

Luxury vinyl tile on the other hand is a great option in that it comes in both hardwood plank forms or stone-like tiles, and best of all, this low-profile floor gets glued directly to the subfloor.  As a result, you get the look you want in a durable, "softer hard surface" composed with vinyl that is low-profile enough to be installed under any slideout.  If durability is a fear - don't worry about it, as this floor is being installed now in supermarkets, malls, and other high traffic areas due to its ability to stand up to the elements.  Unlike laminate though, which rests above the surface of the floors, the only complex part about luxury vinyl is the floor prep it takes to smooth out your staple-ridden and uneven subfloor before gluing this new floor in place.

Lastly, the quality of carpet has radically changed in the past few years as well.  In the past, carpet, while soft and comfortable, was detrimental to one's ability to maintain cleanliness in a motor home, soaking up spills and dirt tracked in from outside.  Cheaper carpets utilized by RV manufacturers of all qualities in an effort to save money meant fuzzy fiber that couldn't sustain heavy traffic.  Today though, carpet is a very practical option.  With stain-resistant nylons or inherently stain-resistant polymers now on the market, RV owners can experience the softness they desire with a product that cleans up the way it should.  Carpet is now made with a continuous filament construction too.  This method doesn't fuzz up, leaving you with carpet that will maintain its fiber content and last longer!  The cost of these new polymer fibers are also far less than traditional nylons, as they combine either ethanol or plastic recycling resources to sustain low costs versus crude-oil dependent nylon fiber.

Ultimately, there is never going to be a "perfect floor" for every RV, but the right floor for your needs is out there.  Just do your homework and trust the experts.

Back
Top Bottom