CA hwy 178

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
A few days ago we drove CA HWY 178 from Kernville to Bakersfield. This road is definitely not for the faint of heart. It's a narrow winding mountain road through the canyon that I thought was never going to end.

The Lassens had told us that they unhitch their toad to make the drive and Marsha drives ahead with a 2-way radio to warn Tim if a truck is coming in the opposite direction. We now understand why they do that.

The road has a number of turnouts to allow those impatient drivers to pass, but a number of them are too small to pull into with a motorhome and toad.

You definitely have to pay attention while driving that Road Dave. I'm glad my driver did OK.

One concern I had on some of the turnouts was the possibility that they might give way with the weight of our coach, and that we'd find ourselves at the bottom of the canyon. The outer edges of some of those turnouts looked really frail.

I dont remember hearing any news reports of anyone tumbling down the canyon, but I know they have that road closed or restricted to one lane alot during certain seasons for rock slides and washouts.  Of course just because I didnt hear the news report doesnt mean it didnt happen, you probably made the best choice by not using a frail looking turn out.........I cant remember off of the top of my head, but I think the skinny part of that road is about 8 or 10 miles long.............but its a real loooong 8 or 10 miles isnt it..... :'(

... I think the skinny part of that road is about 8 or 10 miles long.............but its a real loooong 8 or 10 miles isnt it.

LOL Dave, you're not kidding. I thought it wasn't going to end but, with no way to turn around, we just had to keep going. Fortunately, the Lassens had warned us to avoid it during commute hours.

And going out, your were on the river side............In my opinion, that is a much easier less stressfull drive than the rock side where you not only have to try and stay in your lane but dodge the jutting rock overhangs that jutt out over the road from the canyon wall.....

That road would be narrow in a Smart Car

... that is a much easier less stressfull drive than the rock side...

That's exactly what my wife and I both said to each other Dave.

Back
Top Bottom