Battery questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lissa Jo

Okay folks, I need an education in batteries for an rv.  I came here because y'all are so helpful.  A quick search in the library didn't really answer my questions though I might not have looked in all the right places. 

Here's the deal.  We have a megatron marine rv deep cycle battery.  I'm sorry but that is really all I know about the battery.  I can tell you what it looks like and that the top of it has these little things that look like they could pop off if I tried hard enough though I didn't try because I didn't want to break something.  My concern is that we may need to add water to it.  I don't know how to tell if we do or not.  Hubby isn't sure either.  How do I know how to care for this battery.  Can anyone point me to a website or somewhere that might can tell me how to take care of it? 

Also, the trailer has been plugged in for several days and I'm wondering if this is harmful to the battery to always be charging like that.  I want to have the trailer plugged in because I have stuff in the fridge and we are taking it out again in a few days.  Suggestions on what to do with the battery while trailer is plugged in to the house would be great.  Sorry for these questions that are probably very basic.  We are beginners and learning something new all the time.  Thanks!!

It should say on the top if it is maintenance free.  Otherwise, it will enjoy a drink of water on occasion.  I think yours wants water as needed but I can't search up info on the Interstate site (they make the battery) to tell for sure.

Thanks for checking.  I don't remember seeing anything on the top that said it was maintenance free.  Will check tomorrow. 

If it doesn't say "Maintenance free" or "AGM", those little thingies should pop off so you can add water. Preferably distilled water. Add enough water to each cell so that the water almost touches the bottom rim of the filler hole. That's the BOTTOM, not the top.

As for leaving it plugged in, it sort of depends on the age of the rig. Older chargers can overcharge batteries and quickly boil away the water. That's not terribly harmful as long as you keep replacing the water on a regular basis. Newer charges, say post-2000, are much improved and probably won't boil away the water quickly - should take months rather than days.

Generally a "Maintenance free" has a fairly smooth top,  (not perfectly but it's a flat top)

A "Flooded wet cell" (the kind you water) has someting down the center that is "Raised"

It may be screw in caps, or pop in "Triple" caps  or it may be a weird set of levers and such that .. Well, it is a lock in triple cap

But it is not smooth front to back 

I was unable to find a direct link to Megatron batteries in a quick search but I found some suggestions that it's an interstate battery product..

Somewhere on the battery will be some words or letters..  As others have said look for the words "MAINTANCE FREE'

also look for the lette pair AH and Cranking amps  in both cases give us the assoicated numbers

Part 2: leaving it plugged in

Try to locate the CONVERTER, this is the device that turns 120 volts ac from the power cord into 12vdc or there abouts to charge the battery.. Try to find the make and model and post here.

It may be physically integrated into the circuit breaker/fuse box

Back
Top Bottom