Which 5th wheel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

simsy

Hi all! heres one for you, l have decided that l would like to buy a fifth wheeler, as opposed to an A or C class. Now then, l would like one up to 33ft, and intend to do a lot of wild camping,in Europe, boondocking l think you call it. l live in the UK, and intend to buy one over in the States, and ship it back to the UK when l have had a look around over there. So, which would you recommend? Craig, Isle of Man, British Isles.

Do you have a price range in mind?  There are numerous choices and quality and  amenities differ, along with price.

You will need a powerful tow vehicle for that size trailer and fuel will be expensive. Will you be importing a tow vehicle or using a UK or European vehicle?

Also, what are the UK restrictions on width for trailer? I  know width limits are an issue for motorhomes but have not heard about trailers. 

33 foot huh?  Fifth wheel.  In the UK?  Judging from what I have seen in England and Scotland things are going to be more than a bit tight especially on those roads surveyed originally by medieval cowherds. 

A 33 foot is going to weigh in at over 9-10,000 GVWR and will need a American stype pickup truck to pull it.  Think 8-10 mpg.

Well, they've had tractor-trailers running around narrow, winding country lanes in the UK for as long as I can remember. They call them "artics" over there, aka articulated lorry.

Think 8-10 mpg.

Since an imperial gallon is 25% larger, that will be 10-12.5 mpg when he gets home  ;)

Tom said:
Since an imperial gallon is 25% larger, that will be 10-12.5 mpg when he gets home  ;)

Do they still think of miles per imp. gallon or is it km per liter nowdays ?  The conversion factor would be  2.2/3.785 = 0.581 if my math is right and 10 mpg (US) would be 5.8 kmpl

Hi Simsy
I made a quick insite into importing our 5th wheel and pickup.
The first thing that came up which i already suspected was that you will need a HGV class 1 (arctic/semi licence) because of the width 8ft plus and wheight
also the 5th wheel must have a parking brake (manualy operated) one thing American trailers dont have,although i believe there are companies in the UK that will do this.

There are sites in the UK that will take this size rig the RV  members on motorhomefacts.com will give you the information on them ,5th wheels are rare in the UK but there are a few around outside of the fun fair fraternity.

Ours is a 36ft Cedar Creek 36ft towed by a Dodge Ram 3500 dually and having had an A class and Travel Trailer this is the best for us with plenty of room and storage

Ian

Carl L
We still go by miles per gallon although at the pumps we buy in litres also road sign distances are in miles and speed limits are miles per hour (crazy huh)
Another thing on my return  is they now price petrol and diesel at  .9 of a pence per litre same as your 9/10ths

Good Heavens! l didnt think l would get so many responses this quickly. Now, l have held a class 1 truck (artic) licence since 1971, so l know exactly how large a vehicle can be moved around the UK and Europe, l live on an island and there are 40ft truck trailers hauled around here OK. l did say up to 33ft, so below is OK. As for price, say around $50,000 max, l would also buy an American truck to pull this trailer, any suggestions? Again the price for a truck would be up to $50,000. l know fuel is expensive, but l am not going to sit at home thinking of all the money l have saved on fuel, and being totally bored with life. It costs just as much, if not more, to stay in hotels, motels, and b&b, than running an RV, and l know which l would rather have, dont you? l have driven all over the UK, and Europe with a 50 ft artic, so l am familiar with the road systems out there. We can buy 5ers here, up to 39ft, and yes we do have to have a parking brake installed, thats not a problem. Width is 101 inches, max, so 5ers are again OK. Once again, thank you all for your replies, Craig.

Carl L, 33ft is not a large vehicle over here, in the Town where l live there are 40ft double deck buses and truck trailers(40ft trailers) hauling out of the small docks we have here. So, no problem. Have a look at Ramsey, isle of Man, British Isles, on Google earth. Just because it looks small on a map, doesn't mean the roads are single track and full of sheep. Regards Craig.

J HarpJ, There are plenty of parks that can easily accommodate RVs over here, UK and Europe have vast amounts of RV friendly parks nowadays. We have RV services at more and more parks than ever before, but, l would like to do more wildcamping than stay on parks. regards Craig.

Simsy
We have a 36 ft Cedar Creek by Forest River which was a year old but was hardly used with a few upgrades ,looking at other makes and models i recon this has got to be the one of the best in the mid range of 5th wheels and came for less than $50k.I tow with a 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 heavy duty dually with Cummins 5.9 turbo diesel SLT trim,i bought this  January 2007 with 24k miles for less than ?25k.The truck is automatic although some recon a manual would be better i am more than happy with it towing 60 to 65mph at 10mpg average.

Take a look at Lazydays website to get an idea of prices but bear in mind the prices shown are only sticker prces,to get a true price email salesman Matt Sibbick [email protected]
They usually have a stock of used trucks ready fitted out for 5th wheels

Ian

simsy said:
Carl L, 33ft is not a large vehicle over here, in the Town where l live there are 40ft double deck buses and truck trailers(40ft trailers) hauling out of the small docks we have here. So, no problem. Have a look at Ramsey, isle of Man, British Isles, on Google earth. Just because it looks small on a map, doesn't mean the roads are single track and full of sheep. Regards Craig.

Simsy, I have driven all over the island of Great Britain from Rye to Caernarfon up to  Braemar and Lochgoilhead.   You gotta lot of roads that darn well should be considered single track.   The sheep weren't all that bad, however, herds of Modeos and Morris's were thick on the ground.   ;D

Thanks lan for your info, l will look at Cedar Creek and get back to you. l am a little disappointed at some peoples perception of the roads over here. l have said before that l have hauled a 50ft truck and trailer all over the UK, Europe, and even the Middle East if we want to get serious. l have done it for 37 years now so l think l am able to make a judgement on what will or will not be too big for our roads. All l asked was info on what would be a decent 5er, many thanks, Craig. ???

Some excellent fivers include: Sunnybrook, New Horizons, Travel Supreme, Cardinal, Holiday Alumacraft, Carri-lite, Artic Fox, Alpinlight, Titanium, Golden Falcon, and a bunch of others I can't think of offhand.

simsy - no insults were intended but it is near impossible to know what experience a poster has so some warnings that you obviously did not need might well have been critical if your background were different.

If you are not determined to buy your tow vehicle new, you can get quite a lot of truck that can easily haul a 33' 5ver for quite a bit less than 50K.  I recently bought a Ford F-550 rigged for 5ver towing for under $30K (2001 with under 90K miles and in mint condition).  You would need much less truck than that for what you intend to get.

Now that so many Americans are in shock over diesel prices, it is truly a buyer's market for larger trucks.

Yes, you are right. Thank you for your reply and l am getting some good feedback. l am not blowing a fuse, so apologies to anyone who thought so. l do like the idea of a fifth wheel, and some l have seen, (even at a dealer in the UK), they seem a sensible way to see the world. And you have means of transport when you arrive. l am not sure of which is a good make, and if there is any to avoid. l do like the Montana, is this a decent 5er? Craig.

The Montana by Keystone RV is a very popular trailer and most owners are happy with them. The Everest, Laredo Cougar, Big Sky and Challenger are mid-high end fifth wheels by the same manufacturer.

As Newt implied, with a big 5th wheel you are going to want a large American pickup in the one ton rated category at least (Ford F-350, GMC and Dodge 3500).  The Ford F-450s are a possibility.   A turbo diesel will be very desirable, especially if you would tour in the American West with its 7000 foot plateaus and 5-10 mile long 6-7% grades.   Dual rear wheels may be desirable depending on your trailer's pin weight.   The magazine Trailer Life has an informative set of truck tow ratings at http://www.trailerlife.com/output.cfm?id=42175.  Compare those rating with your trailer's Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), allowing a 10% safety factor -- if you would chose a gasoline-driven truck, use 20% for towing in the West.

Thanks for your info, l do get trailer life from time to time, and its a good publication. l will study it more in depth regards weight ratings. Is a genny essential for boondocking? or wild camping as we call it.  :)

Back
Top Bottom