Zion River Resort Rally May 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We may not go to Moab for the fourth stage (Hop-Skip-Jump-Walk(???))

We may go to Kanab to spend some time at Best Friends (animal shelter/rescue)

ken

For any of us planning on staying at Watchman Campground in Zion NP, they have changed their reservation system to site specific. Because of the change and working on the new system, reservations won't be able to be made until January 7, 2009, at 10 am EST.

Wendy

Betty,
Linda and I have finally gotten our 2009 schedule finished.  We will be attending the Hop, Skip. Jump event.  I just finished getting the reservations.  Zion River Resort, arrive 5-2-09, depart 5-6-09, 4 nights.  Ruby's Inn, arrive 5-6-09, depart 5-9-09, 3 nights.  Thousand Lakes, arrive 5-9-09, depart 5-13-09, 4 nights.  Our reservations brought the group up to 13 for Zion and Thousand Lakes and 12 for Ruby's.  We are looking forward to seeing everyone again.
Dean

Ken or Betty:

Because of our computer crash in October I have been tracking down old memos this week and made a couple of calls to confirm our reservations for the HSJ. The very nice lady at Thousand Lakes asked that I pass on that two of the fifteen attendees have not called in yet. I am aware that there were no specific names for the 15 sites but did not want to mention that to her so I agreed to pass on the 13 sites she has names for:

1.  Koch (2)
2.  Brewer
3.  Jones
4.  Johnson
5.  Thomas
6.  Brown
7.  Penning
8.  Mahoney
9.  Stock
10. Lassen
11. Cousins
12. Fiizgerald

There are probably others as I don't see Phil & Doris for instance. Call TL if there are any questions.

Jeff,

I may have to call them, but I think they said they would hold the 15 slots only until the new year or later if they did not have others requesting the spaces.

I think Betty talked to them about a barbeque dinner, maybe I can used that to buy a little more time.

ken

Thanks guys,

I will follow up in the New Year.  Enjoy Christmas season festivities.

BB

Kerry and Beth Mathews will be at all three events.  The lady at Torrey told Beth "that makes a total of 19".
If we are planning to go through the TUNNEL at Zion on the way to Ruby's Inn, there are several pieces on their web site(Zion) that are of interest.
1. No vehicles longer than 40'.
2. Clearance = 13'1".
3. Tow vehicles must be driven through the tunnel, maybe someone knows where 19 Motorhomes can hookup the towed after the tunnel??
Other than that, looking forward to seeing everyone and Jerry leading the hikes.
We really enjoyed seeing everyone at Quartsite again.

maybe someone knows where 19 Motorhomes can hookup the towed after the tunnel??

Kerry and Beth,

So glad you're coming along!  If we all go through at the same time we'll have to drive a little farther in both vehicles because there are only a few small pullouts at viewpoints.  If there's no one else there you can pull in, but if it's full you have to keep driving.  We've always been able to pull off, but we were only one!

ArdraF

Don,

The NPS web site says 50 feet max for combined vehicle length. IIRC that's what it was when we went through with the Pennings in 2007. So we had to unhook the toad and drive separate vehicles. They had stripes painted on the road so the rangers could easily see that we were over the combined length.

We went through in November. The 50' limit is in effect because of the switchbacks more than the tunnel; the height and width limits are because of the tunnel. There are a couple of pictures and more info at this thread.

I suspect that we won't all be leaving Zion at the same time, although that might be easier for the rangers if they could send everyone through at the same time. Might be worth checking with Zion ahead of time to see if they have a preference or recommendation.

Wendy
Bolsa Chica SB

When we went through the Zion Tunnel last year we were required to unhook.  And Wendy is absolutely correct about it being primarily because of the switchbacks.  If there's oncoming traffic on the access road before and after the tunnel, it's a really tight squeeze even without the toad attached.

Wendy also has a good point about maybe the park preferring a caravan as opposed to one at a time.  I suppose they might even prefer five or ten at a time.

ArdraF 

Our Fight against the time to make it to the rally.

2 years ago I fell from the roof of the motorhome and fractured the calcaneus (heel bone) The heeling process was 2 ? months (cast and boot) followed by physical. One year later I had enough mobility to go on a 3 mile hike with Jerry & Ardra at Bryce Canyon. Additional severe problems as a result of the fall showed up over time and it was determined that on the same right side I needed Hip replacement, knee surgery and foot surgery. I wanted it all be done and over with before the Hop, Skip, Jump rally. The waiting lists for surgery are typical 3 months but using my salesman skills and bugging the surgery scheduler he was able to get me in on a cancellation at short notice and the Hip replacement was successfully done the second part of November. Next was going to be the knee, same procedure with the scheduler and he got me in again at short notice because another cancellation. The surgery was scheduled  for today at 1 O'Clock. I was about ready to go to the hospital when I got a call that the surgery was cancelled, the doctor had called in sick. The scheduler is now looking for the next earliest opening. The knee surgery is going to be arthroscopic and recovering time should not be to long. If knee replacement is needed that will be done at a later time. After receiving the cancellation message I right away contacted the podiatric surgeon for the foot which needs fusing of the heel bone to the bone above the heel. He will do whatever he can to get me in before the end of this month. It will require 6 weeks in a cast and than a boot but he tells me I will be able to drive. I haven't told him that the trip will be a few thousand miles.

I may take Terry up on his offer to help me with the hook ups.

For now we are going to call it the Hip, Knee, Foot rally and any body who wants to make a bet if we are going to make it to the rally let me know.
Most likely there will ne no hiking for me at this rally but ladies do I have a lot of time for playing Mexican train.

chris

Crossing the Zion tunnel.

I recommend not to hook up your toad when you leave the campground in Virgin. It's only a short distance from there to the ranger station at the entrance of the park and you have to unhook there anyway.You pay the Ranger for crossing the tunnel,  I believe it was $ 10.00 last year and the ticket is  good for 1 week. The ranger will check the length of the motorhome or combination. Single handicapped drivers may be exempted for unhooking the toad.
I do not recommend to travel in a large group crossing the tunnel. The waiting times are very short and there are very few places within 5-7 miles after you leave the tunnel to hook up and most of those places may only have space for 1 or 2 motorhomes.

chris

I told Mimi on the phone last week that she's married to the bionic man  ;D

Chris

>>I may take Terry up on his offer to help me with the hook ups.<<

I'm there for you... Might even throw in a toad hook/unhookup.<G>

Back
Top Bottom