Zion River Resort Rally May 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Might even throw in a toad hook/unhookup.

On our coach, that's a pink job. I wonder if Chris got Mimi trained  ???

The tunnel permit is $15 now (or was in November) and is good for 7 days. I agree with Chris not to hook up when you leave Virgin. When we came through in November, traveling east to west, I wasn't paying a lot of attention to places to hook up the toad east of the tunnel but I don't remember many until you hit the Hwy 89 junction. The only pullouts I remember were on the side of the road headed into the park and the biggest one was where you park to read the rules for going through the tunnel...on the opposite side of the road from where you'll be.

Don't know about exemptions for handicapped single drivers with combination rig/toad over 50'.....they may just tell you to go around the long way which is 30 miles further. Maybe 30 miles out of the way is easier than hooking up/unhooking/finding a place to park/hooking back up???

Wendy
Bolsa Chica SB
71 degrees

Terry,

Thank you for the offer. When you do the hook/unhook we should invite Tom to watch so he can learn how to do that. He needs some hands on experience and give Chris some rest after a full day of driving and then suppose to serve a gourmet dinner for the chief.  ;D

Tom,

Mimi is a first class passenger and is not supposed to do any of those jobs.

I'm going to let my Chris know that I want to travel first class, just like Mimi.

Chris,

Did you tell the doctor you'll be driving a motorhome???  Don't!  He might try to dissuade you!

Trust me, you won't have any problems finding people to help with hookups.  Pink or blue!

ArdraF 

Ardra,

I don't need to use my right foot for driving the motorhome. Just push the accelerator down with my walking stick till I get the right speed, then put it on the cruise control, use my left foot for the Pack Brake in case I have to brake and then hope for the best.  :)

Chris

You only need to keep the cane on the accelerator until you get to 35-40mph. Then do resume on your cruise control and it will take you the rest of the way while you rest the cane ;D ;D

Anyone who has followed Chris driving around the Utah national parks will know that he has only two speeds - fast and hang on tight!  ;D

When he's driving his coach, Chris thinks he's back in his Monte Carlo rally days  :eek:

Wendy: "they may just tell you to go around the long way which is 30 miles further."

What route is that?

Oops. It's 50 miles further unless you cut through Coral Pink Sand Dunes and I don't know what that road is like between Colorado City to the state park. North of Coral Pink Sand Dunes SP the road is fine, if a bit narrow.

Going the southern route, you'd go back to Hurricane, take Hwy UT59/AZ389 through Colorado City to Fredonia where you get on Hwy 89. Then north thru Kanab and at Carmel Jct where you're back on the same route as you would have been if you went through the tunnel.

Virgin to Ruby's thru the tunnel is 95 miles. Around the south thru Colorado City and Fredonia is 145 miles. Around the south then taking Sand Dunes Road up past Coral Pink SP is 125 miles.

Thanks Wendy. Turns out I am familiar with that route and will be using it to get there inbound from Flagstaff.

The road south of Coral Pink Sand Dunes is okay for a car or truck but can't remember if it would be okay for a RV.  It has been a number of years since we went there and as you know the terrain changes in the desert with rain and wind.

It looks like Tim and I are not going to be able to make "Hop, Skip & Jump".  Our granddaughter is in her first ballet recital on May 16th and there is no way this grandma is gonna miss it.  I can miss the subsequent ones; but not the first one.  Right after her recital, we have to "high-tail" it to Indiana and Manitoulin Island, Canada for two of our niece's weddings.

Before I cancel the reservations, I wanted to check with the forum.  Since there are limited reservation sites available, I was wondering if anyone needed our sites.  If so, you can email me and we'll work out the details.

I had even called Bryce Canyon Nat'l Park and found that they had horse trail rides available and was going to put something together....Oh well, next time.

Sorry to miss it.
Marsha~

We'll miss you Marsha, but Grandma has her priorities.

Our reservations are made.  We can only stay 2 mights.  Seems to be the way this year.  Will arrive the 2nd, leave the 4th.  Heading north to Ogden then.

Back
Top Bottom