Weimerts Sutherlin Visit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom and Margi

It could have been a mini rally, but we forgot to take pictures.  ::) 

Tom and I spent two delightful afternoons getting to know forum members Barb and Frank Weimert after having read of their visits and trips with mutual friends for a long time.  Barb looks terrific and is recovering from her emergency airlift and subsequent hospitalization quite well.  Unfortunately, we're in the middle of a near-record heat wave right now.  I'm sure Barb and Frank are looking forward to leaving I-5 and continuing their trip on the much cooler coast of Oregon and Washington.  :D

Margi

We were able to visit with Helene & Wally before they left on a trip north.  And we had a couple of lovely afternoons visiting with Tom and Margi. 
Margi is right, it's been pretty hot here, in the high 90's.

Feeling good, and getting stronger every day.  I tried riding my bike, but all the road here are uphill, I didn't get very far.  So I've been doing a big box store walk.  I'm ready for cooler weather. 

I thought photo's were only required for official mini-rallies in restaurants. 

I enjoyed getting to know Tom & Margi. If your a SKP, and in the area stop by.  There's wonderful people here.

Heading for the Oregon Coast
Barb

Stay out of the heat Barb. Walking the big box stores is a good plan - keeps you out of the sun and the heat.

I thought photo's were only required for official mini-rallies in restaurants.

There are no requirements for photos at any kind of gathering; It started as a joke one day "it can't be a mini rally if there were no photos". However, it's always good to see/share photos of folks enjoying each others' company.

Keep on walking and you'll soon reach a flat, cool area where you can get back on the bike or take a longer hike. I think we all need to get out and do a bit more exercise.

Wendy

Barb,

Glad you're feeling better!! Tom is right, there is no requirement for photos. It used to be a requirement that we have banana splits but I think we all realized we didn't need them especially for our diets. It only takes two forum members to create a forum mini rally. :)

Oh, but I do wish we had remembered the camera.  I so enjoy looking at all the photos that we're now able to post on the forum.  I wish we could have done that so easily in the old horse and buggy days on the forum.  We thought we were so "cutting edge" back then ... NOT.  :D

Margi

I wish we could have done that so easily in the old horse and buggy days on the forum.  We thought we were so "cutting edge" back then ... NOT.

LOL Margi. Do you recall the 300 feet of telephone wire strung by John Wilson at the Plymouth rally? We all hooked up to the same line, but took it in turns to connect. As each person got online, they would hoist the flag to let others know they'd have to wait their turn. Here's a photo of the flag being raised.

Oh, yes ... I remember.  Don Jordan, bless his heart and memory, arranged for that phone line.  John Wilson brought the wire and strung it through the trees.  We were in hog heaven taking turns to get online!  :D

And Harlan, bless his heart and memory, drove all the way from Texas to attend.  CJ flew in from Texas.  Daisy and Fred drove from Maine.  George Jannini and Joann Greenberg drove from Georgia.  Jan and Jean Heart drove from Washington.  Many drove from Northern and Southern California.  The participants really covered the US map. 

It's wonderful that forum rallies continue to this day.  Such great friends we have made, and continue to make, along the way.  Now that we're not traveling as much, I really enjoy reading all about the forum rallies.  I especially enjoy the pictures that are posted.

Margi

Margi,

You have a good memory of people and events.

Like you, I enjoy reading about forumites getting together. I also like seeing photos, which was why I joked that "it's not a mini rally without photos".

Wasn't it also Don Jordan who arranged to string the wires at our first Centermost rally in Estes Park?  That was especially so we could have the "world's first cyber baby shower" - but also for everyone to use.  What fun it was to learn from one another!

ArdraF

The cyber baby shower was in 1998, the second? Centermost rally.  We held it in the activity center and used the campground phone line to do an online chat with the Rasures while we presented the baby gifts.  Lorna and I delivered them later that year in Dallas.

Attachments

• Katherine and Ken opening baby gifts.jpg
    Katherine and Ken opening baby gifts.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 22
ArdraF said:
Wasn't it also Don Jordan who arranged to string the wires at our first Centermost rally in Estes Park? 

Ardra,

That was the second Centermost.  The first Centermost was when Doris and i were parked in the small Class C at the top of Rocky Mountain NP and you and Maxwell's stopped in to have lunch with us.  :)

Phil

I still remember on that infamous trip that Fred almost got into trouble because someone thought he was stealing electricity from the phone booth when he strung the telephone line to his coach so they could use the acoustic coupler!! ;D

And I remember when one of our early members, who is no longer on the forum, said the effort to ask RV parks to install a phone line for computers was futile because too few RVers would travel with computers.  :D

We're a little off topic, but it is, after all, the Shade Tree where conversations naturally wander.  ;)  I returned from our volunteer stint with Dial-A-Ride this afternoon and completely forgot to look and see if the Weimerts got back on the road.  They were waiting for medication to arrive.  Our temp has "cooled" to 87 degrees, but we're doing a typical Oregon drop into the 60's with rain tomorrow.  I hope they enjoy the Oregon and Washington coastline drive.  What a nice couple!

Margi

Margi,
Your so sweet..........

Yep I got my meds, and replaced used oxygen tanks.  We hit the road.  We went a whole 68 miles down the road. We are currently in Winchester Bay.  With a great view of the water.  We're in an ATV park, so I walked in Wally's today.  And while I was there I bought a pedometer.  We leave tomorrow for Whaler's Rest RV Resort.  Wherever that is.  I love an adventure.

I love hearing about the forum history.  Tell more.

Barb

Jim Dick said:
Barb,
Glad you're feeling better!! Tom is right, there is no requirement for photos. It used to be a requirement that we have banana splits but I think we all realized we didn't need them especially for our diets. It only takes two forum members to create a forum mini rally. :)

I thought that you had to talk about black water tanks at some point in the mini-rally for it to be official!  ;)

KodiakRV said:
I thought that you had to talk about black water tanks at some point in the mini-rally for it to be official!   ;)

Hmmm ... fogot to do that.  We could have told Barb and Frank some really neat(?) stories along those lines.  Like the time we "shared" the Hepworths sewer line because ours gave up the ghost (blew!) at Cape Blanco in Oregon.  ::)  Or the time another of ours let go at the somewhat fancy Trailer Life resort and golf course in Garberville, CA.  After 150,000 miles in the motorhome we have many stories to tell.  Some good, some bad, some funny, some sad.  :D

Barb and Frank:

I'm so glad you were able to stay at Winchester Bay.  It's a real forum favorite.  If you're still there, check out the little oyster shop at the end of the spit.  They sell much more than oysters and it's a neat little local place to visit.  When you get to Lincoln City, you might want to stop at Mo's Restaurant and sample the clam chowder and their famous garlic bread sticks.  You might have to walk an extra mile and eat veggies for a few days after visiting Mo's, but it's worth it.  :D

Thanks for appreciating our stories of the OLD days on the forum.  Sometimes when we get into these discussions, I feel like the old codgers sitting on the porch telling people how they walked four miles to school through snow drifts.  ;D  I hope those old codgers had as much fun in retirement as we've had meeting forum members in various places.  :D

Margi

Barb said:
Margi,
We are currently in Winchester Bay.  With a great view of the water. 

Barb,

If you are up to it,  go visit the local lighthouse at night as the sight is phenomenal .

Betty

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom