Sprint EVDO 5GB Cap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That makes all the cellular carriers the same WRT data.  Interesting that Sprint would give up such a marketing advantage, they must be having bandwidth problems.  This is especially interesting in light of the recent massive loss of customers for them.

Ned said:
That makes all the cellular carriers the same WRT data.
not quite. as mentioned at end of the EVDOinfo article, Alltel EVDO is still unlimited data.

Thanks, didn't know that about Alltel.  I would guess they'll be the next to put a cap on data unless they have the infrastructure to support a large influx of ex-Sprint, AT&T  and VZW customers with huge demands for data service.

My local cable technician has told me people are downloading movies etc. much faster than predicted and the cable company is struggling to keep up.  Some of the new cell phones have a lot of capability and the "Kids" are using it just like they do at home on the PCs!!

The future of multimedia is streaming it to whatever device you have at hand, be it a computer, PDA or cell phone and the carriers need to build out the infrastructure to support it.  They've been marketing it, now they have to support it :)  The only possible alternative right nowto the cellular network is WiMax and that isn't quite ready yet.  Whoever gets the network ready first to handle the bandwidth demands will be the big winner.  I don't put a lot of faith in the telcos as they have never been good innovators in the past.  They have a lot of inertia.

For comparison, Hughes has a cap of 350 MB/day X 30 = 10.5GB/month.

Russ, that's true for us VAR users, but the Hughesnet home and tripod users have a FAP of 200MB/day, or about 6GB/month.  The misunderstanding that most people have is that unlimited means unlimited access, not unlimited bandwidth.

Ned said:
Russ, that's true for us VAR users, but the Hughesnet home and tripod users have a FAP of 200MB/day, or about 6GB/month.  The misunderstanding that most people have is that unlimited means unlimited access, not unlimited bandwidth.

For those that are not VAR users the following FAP applies:  The home plan, which is $59.99 month, 200MB per rolling 24 hour period. For the Pro plan, which is $69.99 a month, 375 MB per rolling 24 hour period. The Pro plus plan which is $79.99 a month, 425 MB per rolling 24 hour period.  VAR customers that are paying $79.99 a month are on the Pro plan and have 375MB per rolling 24 hour period.

The misunderstanding that most people have is that unlimited means unlimited access, not unlimited bandwidth.

I realize you may have been talking about other providers/services but, for clarification of my earlier message, my T-mobile plan and monthly statement clearly say "unlimited megabytes", with no specified time constraints.

Me too. It's been good for the last 4 years, so I've had a good run, and the price was right.  ;)

Almost forgot, it works on land and water, in the US, Canada, Europe, and a bunch of other countries, but there are roaming charges outside the US. Didn't work well inside my son's house in the UK, but then I remembered the walls of his house are 28" thick and made of stone. Had to sit in the garden sipping a cool one, and all was OK. Can't imagine lugging a Datastorm 6,000 miles by air and hoping to connect at the other end ;D

You couldn't see your satellite from the UK anyway :)

So it wouldn't work as well as my T-mobile card  ???

We'll talk after T-mobile deploys their next generation  ;D

I'd rather get online a little slower in all the places we visit than have higher speeds in some places and nothing in others  ;)

Oh, you forgot to mention acquisition cost: a couple hundred $ (or free) vs several thousand $, or half the monthly fee  ;D

Back
Top Bottom