Pop Up Doesn't Suite Owr Needs - Upgrading to Hybrid (Cub 185)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elizabeth

So we have gone out in our Tent trailer three times and it just doesn't suite our needs.  I have found a good deal on a Hybrid Cub 185.  I was just wondering if anyone can tell me about the Cubs and about this trailer.  I just don't want to purchase another trailer that we wont be happy with.

(P.S. I called the dealership and apparently we can tow up to 5000 with no problem... so why didn't they tell me this when we first asked???? Oh well)

To begin what are you towing with? What part of your pup doesnt suit your needs?We started in a pop up and now camp in a roo21ss and wish we just bought a travel trailer i. the hybrid still feels like the pop up(with more space and a full bathroom).Who makes the cub?

Yes, we really need more information.  I know you were really excited about finally getting out.  I expect you enjoyed the camping part of it, but found "issues" with the sleeping accomodations.  This is very common.  But in order to help you make the right decision, we need to know what you didn't like about the PUP, what vehicle you are planning on towing your next trailer with, and then we can help guide y in the right direction.

Elizabeth said:
(P.S. I called the dealership and apparently we can tow up to 5000 with no problem... so why didn't they tell me this when we first asked???? Oh well)

Because you cannot trust a salesman to provide accurate information.  Nor can you with that 5000 lbs.  What is your tow vehicle:  year, model, engine size, cab size, rear end ratio, 2wd or 4wd, and will you tow in the West?

Elizabeth said:

The last place to get true accurate information is a dealership or most salesman.  If you believe them then maybe I can interest you in some oceanside property here in Montana or Wyoming. ;D

Let us know what your tow vehicle is year model etc and somebody here will give you accurate valid information.  Remember when figuring tow capacities you and anybody around you safety is at stake.

I am towing with a 2007 4x4 Nitro with the tow package.  Not only the dealership but all the towing guides, and the owners manual say I can tow up to 5,000 lbs (total).  It's a fairly new SUV so I didn't want to harm it just to tow since it is my commuter car.

The storage is lacking in the PUP, we have three dogs and there isn't enough room for them, we need a freezer for thier food (we feed raw).  I want a bathroom... this walking to go pee is for the birds.  We need AC for those really hot days (would you belive me to say that's for the dogs too).

This is horrible but we would like a TV for movies on rainy cold days... I want more of a kitchen so that I can make better meals... the list pretty much goes on and on.  Oh and the set up time really takes away from the weekend.  We only have on long distance trip planned this summer (because of the gas prices) so all other trips are two night weekend trips.  With 1/2 the first day taken up with set up, and half of the last day taken up with tear down... well that's only one full day to sit and relax, the whole point of camping.

We like the idea of sort of still sleeping in the tent area because it's not the sleeping arrangements that we don't like.  That's pretty much the only part of the PUP that we love.

I think the Cub has been moved to my B list.  I have found a good deal on a 2005 STARCRAFT ANTIGUA 19 (with white cabinets and stainless steel appliances).  Basically I am just looking for reviews on these trailers.

I got an email from the service manager at my car dealership.

"i dont see any problem towing the the trailer you mentioned
i have a friend with a Liberty towing a small house trailer with no issues at all"

So even if he is wrong I have an email covering my butt.

So even if he is wrong I have an email covering my butt.

What does an email do for you if you damage your tow vehicle &/or get in an accident? You'd best buy the oceanfront property in Montana that Ron has for sale.

I think its great to want all the comforts of home in your trailer. That is why these companies put them in there. the concern I have with the Nitro is the short wheel base and low curb weight. We had a Jeep grand cherokee when we bought our Roo. WE where below our tow rating but with that short wheel base it didnt feel safe. I ended up upgrading my tow vehicle quickly. If my crystal ball would have shown me this I would have bought a different trailer. good luck

rvbigs said:
I think its great to want all the comforts of home in your trailer. That is why these companies put them in there. the concern I have with the Nitro is the short wheel base and low curb weight. We had a Jeep grand cherokee when we bought our Roo. WE where below our tow rating but with that short wheel base it didnt feel safe. I ended up upgrading my tow vehicle quickly. If my crystal ball would have shown me this I would have bought a different trailer. good luck

Can you please explain this further?

I hear everyone's concern and I think it's just to make sure I am happy and safe but I have looked at the towing guide that many people on this forum have provided to many newbies and it states that with the towing packing the Max is 5,000 lbs.  Plus I checked with the manufacture, the dealership of the car and the trailer, the manufactures website? so on and so forth.  If I wasn?t a member of this web-group then I wouldn?t even have second thoughts.

So, I guess my new question is ? why is this information provided if it?s false?  Why are the trailer manufactures saying "can be towed by mini-vans and SUVs" if it would be unsafe?  I haven't seen any disclaimers anywhere on any of sites?

Tom said:
What does an email do for you if you damage your tow vehicle &/or get in an accident? You'd best buy the oceanfront property in Montana that Ron has for sale.

I am sure this comment was made to make a we want you to be safe so I am making this comment stick out sort of way... and in no way, shape or form were you trying to be rude or insult my intelligence

... and in no way, shape or form were you trying to be rude or insult my intelligence

That's for sure Elizabeth, and I hope it didn't come across otherwise. As I told someone else recently, we sometimes try too hard to help folks and it occasionally comes across in a way that's different from what was intended.

Thanks Elizabeth. Feel free to whack me with a 2x4 if I step out of line.

Anyways - back to my second question;

"why is this information provided if it?s false?  Why are the trailer manufactures saying "can be towed by mini-vans and SUVs" if it would be unsafe?  I haven't seen any disclaimers anywhere on any of sites?"

Elizabeth said:
Anyways - back to my second question;

"why is this information provided if it?s false?   Why are the trailer manufactures saying "can be towed by mini-vans and SUVs" if it would be unsafe?  I haven't seen any disclaimers anywhere on any of sites?"

Many of us have learned either by experience or by others experiences, that many different sales people will say anything to make a sale. There are many other people who just really dont know what they are talking about (to be blunt about the matter). There are also different things to take into consideration.  A blanket "Yep that will tow what you want it too" is not always correct.  There are things like motor size, transmission type, rear end gear ratio's etc that change what you can and cant tow.  If you start adding things like 4x4, the weight of those extra parts reduce what you can tow.  A lot of us old codgers like a lot of cushion in what is allowed and what is actual.

OK, back to numbers.

Trailer Life's tables give 5000 lbs as the tow rating of your vehicle.   Use that number to establish the gross vehicle weight rating GVWR of the heaviest trailer you should tow.  We like to allow a 10% safety factor to allow for truck condition and aging and payloads beyond fuel and driver.  That would mean that the trailer should have a GVWR of less than 4,500 lbs.   However, if you would tow in the Rockies and the Pacific west make that factor 20% to allow for altitude and long, steep grades, and keep that trailer GVWR to less than 4000 lbs.

That is it.  You will probably want a good weight distributing hitch with some sort of anti-sway system.

Carl L said:
OK, back to numbers.

[i]Trailer Life's [/i] tables give 5000 lbs as the tow rating of your vehicle.  Use that number to establish the gross vehicle weight rating GVWR of the heaviest trailer you should tow.  We like to allow a 10% safety factor to allow for truck condition and aging and payloads beyond fuel and driver.  That would mean that the trailer should have a GVWR of less than 4,500 lbs.  However, if you would tow in the Rockies and the Pacific west make that factor 20% to allow for altitude and long, steep grades, and keep that trailer GVWR to less than 4000 lbs.

That is it.  You will probably want a good weight distributing hitch with some sort of anti-sway system.

Does this include full fresh water and gray tanks eta? or just all my "stuff" (as the other half likes to call it)

So I think we should be alright.  We are getting this installed at the dealership the day we pick up the trailer.  I can ask again tomorrow the name of the dist. hitch and inti-sway bars that they will be installing.

I have also asked the dealership to do a once over on the truck just to make sure that it is alright... no nuts loss eta.

We plan to travel only with in an hour of our home in Burlington ontario, with no plans to go out west.  We will however get going on a two week trip to the maritimes.

You won't usually drive around with full fresh water and grey water tanks. Usually just enough in the fresh water tanks to flush the toilet, wash a few dishes, etc.

Enjoy your travels
Wendy

Elizabeth said:
Does this include full fresh water and gray tanks eta? or just all my "stuff" (as the other half likes to call it)

GVWR is a rating, not an actual weight.  It is the basic weight of the trailer plus the maximum carrying capacity of the trailer.  In US units, it is found on the DOT plate on the trailer and on the specifications in mfr brochures.  I suspect Canada has similar regulations.  The number is for the purpose of evaluationg loading and towability.  I gave you the numbers for your tow vehicle, compare them to the specs of the trailer to see if you should pull it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom