Anyone else use there dishnetwork reciver from home with another dish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Couzin Eddie

Well I am about to pull my hair out.  I purchased a Wingaurd RV dish for the RV.  I can't find singal for the life of me.  I get home and hooked it back up to the home dish and it still didn't work, it found the sats but then it said I needed programing.  So I went through the tech help and they had to send out a signal to autherise my reciver. 

So did they know I had it hooked up to a different dish or is a fluke?? 

I ask cause I was going to buy a dishnetwork dish and try that but it is worthless if they can tell and lock it up anyway??

There is no way that Dish Network, or even the receiver, can tell what antenna you're connected to.

At Sam's Camp we have two DTV dishes set up one is for DTV and the other is for Dish.  We have never had anybody that used Dish not be able to use our antenna connection.  We installed them because some of the framily use DTV and some Dish and because of trees it was difficult to get either.  That is except for Tom & Margi.  ;D

First, we have Dish.

If the receiver does not have an signal from Dish for a period of time, unknown by me, it will shut itself off and you will have to go through what you did to get it going again.

What Winegard dish do you have.  I have had both the manual, on another MH, and now have an "automatic" that is sometimes a "manual".  I have never figured out why though as sometimes it will not lock up or even find a signal. 

If it is a true manual, be sure to have the elevation meter installed, I can't remember the marketing name though, CRS!

If I ever get HD TVs, I will have to replace the one I have for one with the new satellite arrangements but that is all for another year!  VBG

Ok that makes sence It has been turned off for over 2 months now since we don't use it in the house. 

I have a manual windguard RD9046 I got it used so who knows if it works or we cant find the sats or what. 

Does Dishnetwork have areas that it will not recive a signal in??

We have Dish Network, one dish at the house, one with the motorhome, one receiver. When we get home, Mike just brings in the receiver and hooks it up and it works great. When we head out in the motorhome, last thing he does it take the receiver out to the motorhome. We have a manual setup so when we're ready for TV, he sets up the dish (on the roof mount or on a tripod) and finds the satellite. We've never been anywhere that we didn't get reception unless some stupid tree was in the way.

Wendy
Cortez CO

Couzin Eddie said:
Ok that makes sence It has been turned off for over 2 months now since we don't use it in the house. 

I have a manual windguard RD9046 I got it used so who knows if it works or we cant find the sats or what. 

Does Dishnetwork have areas that it will not recive a signal in??

The elevation device I mentioned is the Digital Magic Elevation Sensor from Winegard>  We found it helped a lot in finding the satelites after we had it installed.  You should be able to see some satellites even if they are not Dish.  You won't get any picture but the reciever should identify as wrong satellite.  The pointing control should ID the azimuth of the Satellite.

I am new to this forum but have been a reader for a while. Great place to get addvice.

Now I need help. I want to use my home Dish  reciever in my 31 Ft Gulfsteam. I just got a Dish 500 Sat. just like We have at home but there are no cables on it. My home has two but only one to the reciever. How many do i need and to which side of the dish do they go, 119 or 110 or both and do they go to a splitter to have only one cable to the reciever?

Also what would work in place of a tripod? And how hard is it to get a signal?

Thanks for any help.
Robbie & Barbara

Do you only have one receiver? If you take the receiver from the house, there's no problem. We have two dishes, one on the house, one in the motorhome. When we travel in the winter, we take the receive out of the house and hook it up to the dish in the motorhome. Never had a problem.

Wendy
Pine Cove, Dillon Reservoir, Colorado

Yes. We only have one. I hope I can make this work. My 2 yr. old like cartoons at night.  ;D And it would be nice to get the weather for our area in case of storms in the summer.

Rob Barbara said:
The longest we are gone from home has been 14 days. Will it cut off in that length of time?

Its a matter of timing, if your missed the stay alive signal when they sent it out, you will have to have them reshoot it.  I dont know what the sequence is, or if they shoot the stay alive more than one time on different days,  I would have to assume they do or they might have thousands of calls in one day if they shot the signal and say the city of Los Angeles had a power outage during that particular moment.

Dave Stringham said:
Dish, along with all other satelite providers, send out a "stay alive' signal to all of their receivers at random times.  If my coach sits for any kind of lengthy period with out the receivered left on, I have to call dish and have them reshoot me.

Dave,

Rob is not disconnecting the receiver. He is just taking it with him in the RV so there will be no disconnect. Being away from his stick house has nothing to do with it. The receiver will still receive the "stay alive" signal because it's connected to an antenna in the RV.

Rob,

We've been on the road away from our stick house for over six months and never had a problem. The receiver doesn't care where it is at. Just that it gets a signal. You will lose your local channels after you get about 150 to 200 miles away from your house but all your other channels will be just like home.

Thanks for the info. I went to Radio Shack today and priced a tripod and the guy there said I should use a quad shieded cable they sell (I looked at 100 Ft $53.00) because a cheaper one (100 ft Wal-Mart $23.00) could lose some signal at that distance. Any truth to this or should I just go with the cheaper one to start with being the longest It will be used is 2 weeks at a time?

I have a Dish receiver in the motorhome that was diconnected for several months. When I hooked it up and used it after not being connected, I didn't have to do anything special to receive all the stations.

One of the things you may need to do after connecting it in the motor home is run a 'Check Switch' test (menu-6-1-1 to get to it).

Rob Barbara said:
I am new to this forum but have been a reader for a while. Great place to get addvice.

How many do i need and to which side of the dish do they go, 119 or 110 or both and do they go to a splitter to have only one cable to the reciever?

Also what would work in place of a tripod? And how hard is it to get a signal?

The number of cables you need depends on the type of lnb on the dish and the receiver type. The dish you have at home must be a dishpro or legacy lnb if you have two cables to one receiver. If the lnb on the new dish is the same, then you need two. If you have a dishpro plus lnb on the new dish then you only need one. The lnb will have a label on it if it's a dishpro or dishpro plus. If it's a legacy it won't have the label. If you give me the receiver model number I can tell you if it will work with a Dishpro setup.

You don't need quad shield cable, but you do need RG-6 cable. Any RG-6 cable will work just fine, but don't get RG-59.

You can use either, the 110 or 119 connection on the lnb, if you have a dishpro plus lnb and you need both if you don't. With a dishpro plus setup you need a separator at the receiver to connect the two receiver inputs to the one cable. A separator is a Dish Network part, not a common splitter. You can get them on ebay for a few dollars. 

I use a homemade dish mount that attaches to a stake driven into the ground to mount my dish. I found it easier to plumb than a tripod. Here is instructions for building the mount I use.

My advice is if the lnb on the new dish isn't dishpro plus, replace it with one so you can use a single wire from the dish. You can get lnbs really cheap on ebay and it simplifies the setup. Then all you need is a DPP separator and you're good. Keep in mind that anytime you use a different type dish setup with the receiver you have to run "check switch" to set the receiver for the different hardware. The catch is that you must have the dish pointed at the satellites before you run it or it won't recognize the satellites. 

I checked last nite and had forgot that we do have two recievers. One big one and a small one in my little girls room. We have 3 tv's hooked to this system. So I think one cable goes to each reciever. And that is why it has a splitter. The big reciever runs 2 tvs. Dumb ol me.

Back
Top Bottom