Dometic Expands Refrigerator Recall To More Recent Units

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KodiakRV

The Dometic recall of some of its refrigerators for a potential fire hazard has been out for about a year and a half.  That was for certain ones manufactured between 1997 and 2003.  I found out yesterday that they expanded the recall last month to certain units manufactured up through September 2006 --
[quote author=Dometic]
"Dometic recently expanded its recall on a population of two-door refrigerators. The original recall included some two-door refrigerators manufactured between April 1997 and May 2003. The recent expansion of this recall now includes the same two-door refrigerators, manufactured between June 2003 and September 2006."[/quote]

I checked the Dometic recall webpage last night and found out my unit is one of the ones affected by this expanded recall.   :(

Admin edit: Link updated to new recall page.

Frank, thanks for the update.  Our fridge is now on the recall list :(  Fortunately, it's been working fine for 11 years and shows no symptoms.

Please do not think me too stupid for asking this question but I did buy a new Dometic 1.5 years ago, and I know dometic makes small single door refrigerators. The dometic web site says "two door" I am assuming that means two doors side by side not a big door and a freezer door above. Correct? :-\

In my case, I have a refrigerator door on the bottom and a freezer door on top.  That's "two doors" in the sense of the recall notice.  Whether it covers side-by-side two-doors, I don't know.

The website referenced in my original post above has a form where you pick you model number and enter your serial number and it tells you whether your unit is part of the recall.

Don't assume, use the web site to determine if your refrigerator is subject to the recall.

The model NDR 1062 is on the list for specific serial numbers and it is a 2 door, top freezer, refer.  We have this model but so far our S/N is not affected.  Ours was new last year in February so my fingers are crossed!!

I believe the recall was only extended to older units than previously.

Ned said:
I believe the recall was only extended to older units than previously.

No, see the quote in the first post.  Original recall was April 1997 to May 2003.  The expanded recall picked up June 2003 to September 2006.

Missed that as ours is an early 1997 or late 1996, certainly made before April 1007, and was added.  I wonder why the earlier additions weren't mentioned?

I know that most of you are wiser than me so you already knew this ... when the recall came out I went to my MH to check ... my frig was a Royal so I knew I didn't have a problem.  Then I got a recall in the mail from National ... checked again to discover that Royal is manufactured by Dometic.  :-\  So I had the upgrade which is just a bunch more sheet metal and a thermal switch. 

Rollie said:
I know that most of you are wiser than me so you already knew this ... when the recall came out I went to my MH to check ... my frig was a Royal so I knew I didn't have a problem.  Then I got a recall in the mail from National ... checked again to discover that Royal is manufactured by Dometic.  :-\  So I had the upgrade which is just a bunch more sheet metal and a thermal switch. 

Thanks for the input.  I wouldn't have known that Royal was made by Dometic.

Your description matches photos of the recall fix.  Apparently the fix is not aimed at stopping the fatigue failure from occurring, but is aimed at keeping a fire from occurring if the failure does happen.

Royale is a model, you have to use the model number to check for applicability.  Ours is a Royale model no. RM3862

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom