Arizona, Indiana, Michigan, and Colorado(workcamping)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marsha/CA said:
Ned,

We are not Elks, but are thinking about joining.  There is a really nice Elks here in Kernville and we heard their fish fry dinners are GREAT........ ::)

Guess we better join.

BTW, are you still in the Midwest?  If so, how is the weather.

Marsha~

Do join, there are a lot of nice lodges and nice people at all of them.  We joined shortly after we came back to MT and have enjoyed staying at the lodges when we can and also even saved a few dollars on camping inspite of all the good dinners etc. at the lodges!!

Thanks Jim and Ned,

Guess we better join.  Is there a book out listing where the Elks Lodges are located and if they provide camping?  Do we have to call ahead and tell them we are coming?

Marsha~

Yes, if you join Elks International, the FMCA chapter, they publish a book annually and there is a set of books available from another individual that's even more complete.  Generally, they don't take reservations, but we will call if it's possible that there could be a special event going on, or if there is limited space.  We've rarely had a problem getting parked at an Elks lodge that had facilities.

Marsha/CA said:
Guess we better join. 

Marsha,

Be aware that  The Elks Club  is a service organization and there is quite a procedure for joining.  Someone, who is a present Elk, must sponsor you and you have to go to an interview process. If you pass the interview, you then participate in a big  induction ceremony where you take the Oaths and all. Terry had to dig out his hard shoes and a tie.  I went to cheer for him. I wanted to join too but then we would have to pay 2 sets of dues.  I wish we were in one spot longer as I would definitely participate in some of the wonderful charities the Elks support.  They are a terrific  organization.  We have not stayed in many Elks but those we have been to were  inexpensive and interesting.  We always check their book when heading for a specific local.  Go to Palmer Alaska!

Hi Betty,

I was just reading the Elks website and learned a bit more about them; as well as the application and interview process.  We have a couple of friends here who are Elks, so that may help a bit.  One thing I could not figure out is, if you had to be a veteran to join.  Since neither Tim nor I served in the armed forces, I wondered if that would be a problem.

Also, since just Terry joined, does that limit your participation in any way?

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
I was just reading the Elks website and learned a bit more about them; as well as the application and interview process.  We have a couple of friends here who are Elks, so that may help a bit.  One thing I could not figure out is, if you had to be a veteran to join.  Since neither Tim nor I served in the armed forces, I wondered if that would be a problem.Also, since just Terry joined, does that limit your participation in any way?

Marsha,
You do  not have to have served in Military to join Elks .  I cannot participate in the monthly meetings and they would not let me judge the essay contests but otherwise I can ride along with my hubby and get the campground rates he does! 

Betty

Marsha/CA said:
Jeff,  I didn't know OKC had a River Walk, let alone the rest of the stuff.  We'll have to go back and check it out.  When we were in San Antonio, TX we made a couple of trips to their River walk, which we really enjoyed.  Even took the dog.  River walks seems to be the up and coming revitalization of down town areas in cities now a days.

Where did you stay when you were in OKC?  We had a hard time finding a good campground.

Bernie, I wish we had gone back to see the seats lit up.  The way the designers of the memorial strategically located the chairs in conjuction to where the people were located in the building was very unique.  Kinda hard not to be moved by everything.

Marsha~

Marsha:

We have old friends with 10 acres just east of town who own a RV and have two full hookup sites for visiting relatives and friends. The last time we stayed in a campground was several years ago and it was out on the west end of town near the Fllying J.

Just to give equal time, numerous Eagle and Moose fraternal lodges also have RV parking, support numerous local and national charities and have friendly clubs across the US. The Eagles are in Canada as well.

Gary, do the Eagle and Moose publish books listing the available facilities at each lodge?

Ned said:
Gary, do the Eagle and Moose publish books listing the available facilities at each lodge?

Hes, Somewhere on Yahoo, there is a group with this information in a file.  I know i have the URL somewhere but ... where is the queston.  :-((

I believe each of the fraternal organizations has an RV related group on Yahoo.  The files are most likely in the respective libraries.

Marsha:

We are already in Terre Haute, IN for the night but that is a great suggestion on the bomb memorial in Oklahoma City.  Maybe next time.

We squandered 4 nights in Branson MO.  We saw a terrific Broadway Variety show after painfully agonizing our various choices.  We were glad we chose the Broadway show.  Something most people would not do in Branson, which favors comedy, country, and spectacles.  The theater was only about 25% full, and we had center seats in row E.  The dancing and singing was equal to anything we have seen on Broadway and we have SEEN A LOT over the years. 

BUT ? Branson is tacky, touristy, and trashy, in general.  We were luck and found a superb restaurant at the Clarion Hotel? Buckingham is the name, and enjoyed smoked trout appetizers and steaks.  First class dining.  But an oasis in the middle of fast food nirvana.

Why did we stay so many nights when it was not a very pleasant town?  The outlet mall was one reason, and the other was we needed a rest.  <g>

Jeff, I would kill for a chance to go back to OKC and visit the Toby Keith Bar.  That is one of the songs I sing in karaoke, and had no idea Toby Keith had a business there.

Bernie, the 2 visit idea sounds like a winner to me.

....and the other was we needed a rest.

Smoky, try staying at a campground instead of Wal*Mart. I'll bet you get a better night's sleep and won't be so tired  ;)

Tom said:
Smoky, try staying at a campground instead of Wal*Mart. I'll bet you get a better night's sleep and won't be so tired  ;)

Tom,

What is a campground?  :)

Phil

Phil,

Click the Glossary button above and look up the term  ;)  I'm dissappointed that you haven't seen it before now  :(

Wal*Mart is, by definition, a store with a parking lot, not a campground. However, some folks roll out the fake grass, extend the awnings, put put the chairs and BBQ, and make believe it's a CG. Some even think it's a dump station and empty their tanks in the parking lot; This behavior is well documented  :(

Wal*Mart and campground are not synonymous  ;)

If you didn't already see/hear it, check out singer/songwriter Cliff Boyd's web site, specifically the song Waltzing through Wal*Mat. A wonderful and hilarious musical summary.

If you're still not convinced, walk around Wal*Mart or their parking lots and look for the large button that says "Wal*Mart bound". I guess these folks plan their RVing lives around WM parking lots.

Tom said:
Wal*Mart is, by definition, a store with a parking lot, not a campground. However, some folks roll out the fake grass, extend the awnings, put put the chairs and BBQ, and make believe it's a CG.

Tom,

I put out fake grass only if the Wal-Mart lot does not have grass where I park.
I extend the awnings only if the sun is shining.
I put chairs out only if I want to sit in them.
I BBQ in the lot only if I want to eat.
I make believe it's a CG only if I want to stay there.
I stay overnight in a Wal-Mart only if I see one.
I stay more than one night only if I want to look around the town.
I party with other people in the Wal-Mart lot only if they are also there.
I wear my Wal*Mart bound badge only on days that end in "y".
I put my tv antenna up only if I want to watch tv.
I run my generator only if I want electricity.
I park across several parking spaces only if it's convenient.
I park in the way of store patrons only if that's the only level space.
I unhook my toad only if I want to use it.
I leave my trash on the ground only if there is no disposal can near my rig.
I ask permission if .... wait .... I never ask because they might say no.

This is a great forum.  I have learned so much here about enjoying my RV. :)

Phil

Phil:

ROFL!  We can always count on you to inject levity into our ponderous discussions.  :D 

Margi

Tom:

I am surprised you have not been around much lately. 

Over the years, Wal-Mart has become one of the top campground destinations in the country, and last year won a national award.  They are surrounded by many fine restaurants and popular shopping, a claim few of their competition campgrounds can brag about.  In addition their own camp ground store has groceries, clothing, fishing rods, high def televisions, liquor, books and magazines, and the usual camping gear.  ;D

But best of all they have the top security campground system in the world, complete with roving cameras and roving security cops. 

That said, you will get your revenege in just a minute, as you will see if you are patient.

Night before last we stayed at Terre Haute, Indiana in the local Wall Mart.  (Wal-Marts are very friendly to big rigs and are usually a great place to spend the night when you are on the move.) But a severe thunderstorm came up and sent hundreds of shopping carts flying all over the parking lot at 1:30 am.  I got up and went outside and spent the next 45 minutes chasing down hundreds of guided missiles.  I bet I personally saved a dozen employees and customers damage bills on their vehicles.  A pair of teenagers sat in the bed of their pickup laughing at the damage being caused.  I said,"Why not do something constructive and help me out?" and they laughed some more. 

Oh, was that Tom Jones I saw grinning behind the wheel of that pickup truck???  ;D ;D

Several automobiles were severely damaged.  I thought we escaped it.  My motor coach with its $8,000 paint job was unscathed despite being struck by 5 shopping carts. But another 6 struck our towed Taurus station wagon, which is the Admiral's pride and joy.  When I checked it out I was dismayed to see a seriously damaged front right fender and lesser damage on the front passenger door.

Gosh durn it, that WAS Tom Jones in that pickup!!

Wal-Mart took pictures but said recovery was unlikely because they were not responsible for acts of nature.  They announced a store policy not to send employees outside when lightening is within 15 miles of a store location.  Yes, they actually specify 15 miles in writing.  I thought it was only in the Wild West you could see a thunderstorm 15 miles away.

However, it was 1:30 am and they had all night to secure their shopping carts many hours before the storm, and made no effort to do so.  I would hate to see this go on our insurance record.

Wipe that grin off your face Tom Jones!

The last two nights we have been in a Campground near our first destination at Napanee Indiana.  Not as good as the national Wal-Mart campground chain, but still a pretty good one... The Play-More, a couple miles from the Newmar Factory.

We expect to move tomorrow to the Newmar factory which has its own campground.  Then a week of factory red carpet treatment and touring the Amish countryside.  I was heartbroken to learn that Mary's delly burned down last fall and will not re-open in time for us to enjoy the best pea soup in the world.  My tongue had been hanging out for that pea soup.  I will have to make do with the home made pies from Rentown's Country Store.

Today we stopped in the factory store and bought a bunch of goodies like the stressed coastal cherry finish touch up, various halogen bulbs, shower stall bracket, a spare diesel fuel cap, little spare rubber gaskets for the propane stove... you know... the kind of little toys that make a factory visit fun.

Tomorrow, after securing our Camp Newmar spot, we will take the factory tour.  And we already bought tickets for Wednesday nights open of "The Music Man" at the community theater.

There is a certain sadness that accompanies our happiness at reaching our first of three destinations.  Since this is our final year of our three year warranty, and non warranty work is only done in the dead of Indiana winter at the factory, this might be our last visit in many years.  We are going to make the best of it!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom