Any Suggestions for Colorado Destinations for a Family?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KC_law

Within the next 30 days, My wife and I would like to take about 10 days and camp in Colorado.  We're looking for a destination with a nice pool, beautiful surroundings for hiking (but not too strenuous--I'm fat and out of shape), and of course, shopping for the wife and two daughters.  I tend to lean towards the state and national parks because the facilities seem to be a bit more spread out, but I doubt we'll find a pool in one of the parks.  We'll be in a 40' Monaco Diplomat in case length is an issue. 

Four Corners area. Lots of campgrounds in and around Cortez and Durango, private and public. McPhee Reservoir has a couple of campgrounds...maybe a lake could substitute for a pool?? And Cortez has a wonderful rec center with an indoor pool and an outdoor pool in the city park if you stayed somewhere without a pool. And tons of places in the area to hike, drive, and enjoy. Mesa Verde National Park for sure and Hovenweep National Monument (Anasazi ruins.....both spectacular). The San Juan Skyway is an all day loop drive through the gorgeous San Juan mountains...we do it every fall and usually once in the summer. Some people like visiting the Four Corners monument where you can put hands and feet into 4 states at the same time.

Google Four Corners Visitor Info and you'll find tons of info on this area.

Of course, the rest of Colorado is pretty nice, too.

Wendy

I just noticed your user name and if the KC means that you're in Kansas City, then the front range would be closer if travel distance is an issue. Rocky Mountain National Park is spectular. You've got Colorado Springs which is pretty neat (for a big city). There's the Air Force Academy, 7 Falls, Manitou Springs (artsy-fartsy town), great views of the mountains and a short drive up into the mountains. Of course, you also have tornadoes over on that side of the mountains which is one reason I prefer the western slope.

In the middle of the state there's the area around Buena Vista which is absolutely gorgeous with lots of drives and hikes, ghost towns, rivers, lakes.

Down on the south central side of the state, there's Great Sand Dunes National Park and an alligator farm (YES, alligators).

If you have a preference for the part of Colorado you're interested in, let us know. Lots of folks here have favorite places in Colorado and some of us are lucky enough to live here.

Wendy
Cortez CO

Not sure how far you want to travel but we stayed in RMNP Estes Park but do not remember name of campground.  It fits most of your criteria includes nice sites, swimming and nearby shopping and restauants (www.elkmeadowrv.com). Plenty of sightseeing by car or foot.  Evry site has a beautiful panoramic view.  It has been several years since we visited but assume it would still rate pretty high.....tim

At Colorado Springs you also can take the cog railway up to the top of Pike's Peak (dress warmly!) and at Rocky Mountain National Park the drive up to Alpine Lodge and a short hike to the top provide spectacular views among tiny alpine flowers.  In that area you're more among pines, whereas the Four Corners area is more desert-like.  It's a neat state!

ArdraF

Canon City is where Royal Gorge is located. It could be part of a stay in Colorado Springs. Golden is where the Coors Brewery is located and could be part of a visit to the Denver/RMNP area. Both places worth visiting. Tough choice if you had to pick one....ride the choo-choo or drink beer.....hmmmmmmm

Wendy
Cortez, Colorado

Darn keyboar mis-spelled Canyon City.  Your right Wendy and I have been to both places but Coors isn't near what it use to be when the ole man was in charge. ;D  In any case the Royal Gorge tour is one of the best.  I prefer it to the Durrango Silver City tour.

Wendy,

Ron brought that keyboard back from his stay in Japan, so it doesn't have all the right characters &/or they're not in the right place  ;D

Tom said:
Wendy,

Ron brought that keyboard back from his stay in Japan, so it doesn't have all the right characters &/or they're not in the right place  ;D

You think that could be the problem or could it be guessing at what the squiggly charactors are. ;D ;)

If it is a warm summer we used to have a great time with the kids at the YMCA of the Rockies Snow Mountain Ranch just north of Winter Park and near Granby for shopping. It had a pool and a lot of activities including hiking. It is further north and at a higher altitudes than the Durango area.

Colorado is nice, but you could save a lot of gas money by staying in the great state of Michigan. There's really no place like it.

Michigan is indeed a beautiful state, but it has nothing to compare to the Rocky Mountains.

buckle823 said:
Colorado is nice, but you could save a lot of gas money by staying in the great state of Michigan. There's really no place like it.

Michigan might be a beautiful state but the guy who started the thread lives in the Kansas City area and asked specifically about visiting Colorado which is beyond beautiful....not that I'm prejudiced  :D

Wendy
Cortez CO

buckle823 said:

Having been to both Mich and Colorado I would recommend Colo.  Like Ned said Mich is no comparison to the Rockies.  Besides the original poster asked about Colorado.

Is anyone familiar with an area called the Brainaird Lakes (sp?).  It's north of Boulder and I remember spending a few nights there long ago, like the early seventies, and had a snowball fight in August!  I was wondering if camping is still permitted there.

Steve

One place not mentioned is far to the north, the Dinosaur National Monument.  A beautiful 17 mile drive thru that north end of the state, with great views of the Colorado and Yampa Rivers.  And Canyon Pintado south of there has a lot of Native American writings along the canyon.

Back
Top Bottom