Identity Theft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve CDN

Does frequent travel in unfamiliar venues make RVers vulnerable to identity theft?? ?Has this ever happened to you, when you swipe tour credit card at a fuel pump for "Pay at the Pump"? convenience, only to discover there was an additioanl card reader installed in the pump to steal your credit card info?

It happened to me at a local Circle K station, and the very next day someone tried to use my credit card number for a purchase.? Luckily the purchase did not fit my buying profile maintained by the credit card company, so the credt card company called me to ask if the charge was ligitimate.? The immediately cancelled the card and sent another with a differnt number by overnight express.

Identity theft is everwhere, and many people willingly provide information too easily.? Why does Radio Shack need to know your name and adddress when you buy a battery....when in addition they have your credit card number and expiry date when you pay.? They don't need much more to steal your ID.

Attached are some additional guidelines to protect ourselves from ID theft as outlined by the FTC in a public document.

Attachments

• idtheft.pdf
    236.3 KB · Views: 19
Thanks for the info Steve.  FWIW we never give our address or phone nbr to Radio Shack or any other store.
I hope that you reported the event at circle K to the local police and to the BBB.

All relevant authorities have been notified. 

One of the more annoying types of unsolicited junk mail is pre approved credit cards or the credit card checks which invite identity theft by malicious postal employees.

Don't get any more credit cards.  When ever you recieive a credit card remove the card and destroy it.  Then send a reply to the offending organization that they provide a full explanation as to what happened to the card. ( just ignor telling them that it was in the envelope and  had been removed it and destroyed ) confirmation that the account was closed and any reference to this unrequested card had been removed from the credit reportand that they would refrain from sending anymore unrequested cards.  Then mention that you are not responsible for any purchases on the card. Also send copy of the letter to the Attorney General and the credit reporting agency.

Always got the confirmation and appology.  ;D

Back
Top Bottom