Chevy 454 on class c

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stell

Hi, new to forum.  We are thinking about buying a 2000 class c Chateau 30 ft with a chevy 454 engine. 48000 miles

Does anyone know of any engine problems with this type of engine or anything that we should be aware of with a motorhome of this make?

Hi Stell and welcome.

The 454 engine was in a lot of Chevy motorhome chassis for many years. We had a Pace Arrow with the Chevy P30 chassis and that engine. Used to tow either a boat or a Bronco - real workhorse - and had no problems.

Thanks Tom....That is good to hear.  It is really confusing ...gas or diesel......Ford, Chevy, or  other engine.....    We are trying to research and find good and bad points and weigh them.  One thing that concerned us was the added cargo weight load on the chevy versus the ford.  Seems that you could add more cargo on the Ford engine....any thoughts?  Thanks

Sorry for the double message......as i have said I am new to this..... please forgive

stell said:
the added cargo weight load on the chevy versus the ford. Seems that you could add more cargo on the Ford engine.

Haven't looked at it that way. Normally, a motorhome manufacturer specifies weight ratings for the chassis, which obviously includes a specific engine.

One thing you might care to read is our explanation of weight calculations. Click the Library button above, then click RV how-to's, and select Weight capacity calculations.

Tom said:
Hi Stell and welcome.

The 454 engine was in a lot of Chevy motorhome chassis for many years. We had a Pace Arrow with the Chevy P30 chassis and that engine. Used to tow either a boat or a Bronco - real workhorse - and had no problems.

You know...... There is a really good pun in the above quoted text :)

John In Detroit said:
There is a really good pun in the above quoted text :)

LOL pun not intended John. Maybe I should have said "Ford Bronco".

Just found out that the Chateau with 454 CHevy engine is on a 1 ton chassis...CCC is 2670 lbs without the tow vehicle, vehicle length is 30ft not 31.  Not having all the information without seeing the vehicle again I can't make the calculations that are mentioned above.    Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this?  Tom mentioned a P30 chassis and no problem pulling a Bronco, how does that compare with what I have just mentioned?  Do you think with this new info that it would pull a 2-wheel drive small truck?  Thanks

Stell

The P30 chassis is/was a class A motorhome chassis with higher weight ratings.

Tom said:
LOL pun not intended John. Maybe I should have said "Ford Bronco".

Ah but that would have been wrong.. Where as the "P" series of chassies are, in fact, real Workhorses
(That is manafactured by Workhorse)  Same as the "W 22" that I have

I got to admit that big 8.1 liter horse under my engine cover sure does the job

John In Detroit said:
the "P" series of chassies are, in fact, real Workhorses (That is manafactured by Workhorse)

My P30 chassis was manufactured by Chevy.

Tom said:
My P30 chassis was manufactured by Chevy.

Well, Workhorse used to be Chevy, GM split it off not all that long ago,  I have a small problem with mine (Steering wheel is just exactly the wrong size) and Workhorse told me to go to a chevy dealer for different sizes

Anyone have size and profile descriptions for GM steering wheels?

Back
Top Bottom