EPDM Coatings
RV LED Bulbs offer Sponsored by Spotless Water Systems rvupgradestore.com Composet Products EVDO

Author Topic: Common Problems with RV Inverters  (Read 2361 times)

hhd88833

Common Problems with RV Inverters
« on: June 05, 2008, 05:12:13 PM »
We are currently experiencing some problems with our twelve volt lighting, the lighting will go from dim to bright. I have not timed these cycles. I assume this is a problem with the 110 to 12 volt inverter. What should I do, wait until it fails completely or is there a fix for this oroblem. The RV is fairly new, 2006 Keystone Challenger Fifth Wheel.

Ned

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
Re: Common Problems with RV Inverters
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 06:10:53 PM »
Actually, it's your converter, an inverter converts 12VDC to 120VAC.  It's normal for the brightness to vary a bit as the converter/charger cycles, but if it's large difference, then it could be a weak battery.  Check the voltage at the battery terminals both when the lights are dim and bright and let us know what those readings are.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Want to know what we're doing? http://blog.usabyrv.us

utmtman

• ---
    • Lee and Frans Travels
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 06:14:24 PM »
I was also going to suggest he check for a loose battery cable.
Lee
Holiday Rambler Vacationer
While traveling down life's paths, stop to smell the flowers.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 07:15:26 PM »
Make sure the batteries are properly service including removal of any corrosion around the connectors and that the battery water is at the correct level.  If these items are OK and it still happens check the batteries if one needs replacement then replace all.  I do not think it is a good idea to just replace one battery.
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 08:12:41 PM »
Dim/Bright/Dim/Bright/Dim/Bright, about 1 to3 seconds of each?

That indicates a self-resetting thermal circuit breaker in either the converter or battery line attempting to charge batteries with a shorted cell or cells

I woudl recommend you have your batteries tested (Simple voltmteter test may be enough, you can do that yourself, a LOAD test is better) and if they fail replace them.

Also, while you are at it, check all the usual suspects (Connections, 'epcially chassis grounds)

NOTE that it could also be a short "elsewhere" than the battery.. However I'm going play the odds and suggest you test those cells.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • No Brett; no sweat. A QB's not the whole team.
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 09:59:37 PM »
Are you plugged into shore power or does it also happen when running strictly off the batteries? How about the generator (if you have one)? Try each and let us know.
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"