Common Problems with RV Inverters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hhd88833

We are currently experiencing some problems with our twelve volt lighting, the lighting will go from dim to bright. I have not timed these cycles. I assume this is a problem with the 110 to 12 volt inverter. What should I do, wait until it fails completely or is there a fix for this oroblem. The RV is fairly new, 2006 Keystone Challenger Fifth Wheel.

Actually, it's your converter, an inverter converts 12VDC to 120VAC.  It's normal for the brightness to vary a bit as the converter/charger cycles, but if it's large difference, then it could be a weak battery.  Check the voltage at the battery terminals both when the lights are dim and bright and let us know what those readings are.

Make sure the batteries are properly service including removal of any corrosion around the connectors and that the battery water is at the correct level.  If these items are OK and it still happens check the batteries if one needs replacement then replace all.  I do not think it is a good idea to just replace one battery.

Dim/Bright/Dim/Bright/Dim/Bright, about 1 to3 seconds of each?

That indicates a self-resetting thermal circuit breaker in either the converter or battery line attempting to charge batteries with a shorted cell or cells

I woudl recommend you have your batteries tested (Simple voltmteter test may be enough, you can do that yourself, a LOAD test is better) and if they fail replace them.

Also, while you are at it, check all the usual suspects (Connections, 'epcially chassis grounds)

NOTE that it could also be a short "elsewhere" than the battery.. However I'm going play the odds and suggest you test those cells.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom