Where to Stay near Mackinac Island, MI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Betty Brewer

Moderator Emeritus
We are heading north  in Michigan and  plan to take the Ferry to Mackinac island for a day.  Are there any camppgrounds you might recommend near there?

Betty and Terry Brewer
Higgins Lake Area

Last fall, we stayed at the Lakeshore Park Campground, St. Ignace, MI, on the north side of the bridge.  Right across the road from the water and a partial view of the bridge.  Nice people, and it's mostly satellite friendly.  Also free WiFi.

Straights State Park.. UP, right on the shore Just to the "Right" (East) of the bridge

It has been many moons since I camped there but at the time water pressure regulators were not only suggested. They were mandatory.. I mention seeing park water pressure break 100PSI (110 PSI) ... This is the park.

Betty,

There are three ferry boats to the island.  One of them had a fenced in lock up for MHs 100+ yards from the ferry dock on the mainland.  We parked there and made a one-night reservation at the hotel (Hotel Iroquois) on the island that was only 50 yards from the ferry dock on the island.  It was great to stay there overnight and rent a bike (you can bike from one end of the island to the other end) for a few hours as well as take a horse drawn taxi.  It's a great place.

JerryF

When you go out to the Island take your bikes on the ferry so you can bike around the Island if you have bikes.  Last year the bike fare was $7.50 but worth the price since the cost to rent them is $25 for an hour.  The ride around the Island is wonderful with much to see but forget about riding up to the Fort or the rest of the top of the hill.  There is a carriage ride but it doesn't gone around the entire Island.  If you have the time pick a nice sunny day when the wind isn't blowing you away.  Pictured Rocks National Seashore is a must see if you are near there in the UP.

Mackinac Mill Creek campground.  There's wi-fi at all the full hook-up sites.  Free shuttle to the ferries.  I recommend buying fudge and gifts on the main landl in the mall.  (enter by the info booth). 

Mill Creek Campground I'd call for resv.

The bar/pizza joint on the corner in town has good food.  The Fort is worth a visit.  And there is a Grist Mill down 23 not too far from the park that's worth a visit.

Sault Ste. Marie

Soo Lock Campground.  Take the ride through the locks, and plan at least !/2 day for the museum.  Count how many times you read the #29.  They have a radio there, and post when the next freighter will be coming through.

Do theShipwreck Museum in Whitefish Point if you have time.  But skip the glass bottom boat tour.

Did you know that Higgins Lake was rated as the 3rd most beautiful in the world at one time.  It's spring fed.  I hope you had a chance to go swimming.  It's so clear that when your standing in chest high water, you can see your feet.

Still waiting for blue skies here in Washington
Barb

I hoped you would jump in here Barb.  Good report on what to do in the area. 
We are getting almost the same weather as we would expect in the Northwest.

If you will be there just one day, I would vote for Jerry's suggestion. Hopefully someone will know the name of the ferry company so you could make plans.

Tim

Just Google Mackinaw Island Ferry and your alternatives will appear like magic.  ;)

ArdraF

Peg and I stayed at Mill Creek Campground when we were there in 2000. Nice campground.

We took an early morning ferry and spent the whole day on the island. We took the horse drawn carriage tour that included a tour of the Fort.

Jerry's idea to spend the night on the island is also a good idea. We didn't think of it until just before we left the island.

Jerry's idea to spend the night on the island is also a good idea.

Staying overnight gives you about two days to see the place.  Being that there are no cars on the island it takes a bit longer to get around, but there's also a lot to see considering how small it is.  We just didn't want to have to hurry and it was just about right for us.  We biked around the entire island one morning and that was fun.  Also, the Grand Hotel is where Christopher Reeve starred in the movie "Grand Hotel."  It's a wonderful old place with a great verandah.

ArdraF

Terry,

Now is the time to buy that Segway for Betty and take it on the ferry to the Island. :)

Have fun,

Chris

Now is the time to buy that Segway for Betty...

Chris, I thought Terry was buying a Segway toad so he could tow Betty around the island.

chrpennings said:
Terry,

Now is the time to buy that Segway for Betty and take it on the ferry to the Island. :)

Have fun,

Chris

Why not I heard you can get a pretty good deal on them at Sam's club. ;D

Just saw this post Betty and Terry and we may be too late.

As you know when we left Newmar last year we went up to Mackinac Island and stayed 4 days.  When you go to the Island be sure to take the buggy tour.  It is $40 but worth every penny.  Takes you up the hill to where the rich folk live.  You will see places you would never otherwise gain admission to.

We stayed at the Mackinac Mill Creek Campground Barb mentioned and it was fine.  Within ten minutes of the Ferry rides to the island.

When we left Mackinaw we took Route 2 across the country all the way to Kalispell MT.  Mostly interstate speeds and a lovely change from the drudgery of the Interstate.

Oh the pasties start in Mackinaw city.  The state award pastie place is there.  Worth checking out.  If we had it to do over again we would have frozen a bunch to take with us.  We froze some later on Route 2, but we could find none that compared with Mackinaw City pasties.

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions.  We checked into Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground this afternoon.  We have a site facing the water and bridge ( we think)  It  has been raining and foggy all day.  One way we know we are on the water is that we can hear the fog horns.  We plan on taking the  ferry tomorrow to the island and doing the tourist things.  We will be doing the buggy ride, (not bike riding)  Idid get to the visitor center today to  get  info and will  take in most of the things all of you have recommended.

Betty

Betty,
Be sure to get some fudge!!! They are famous for their fudge. Also the movie with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymore, was made ont the island at the Grand Hotel. It is, "Somewhere in Time" . By the way, Chuck used to go there every summer, as a kid with his family and they used to stay in the Grand.
If you are going to be for a week in the area, it is well worth to do a day trip to Whitefish Point. It is possible to do the Taquamenon Falls in this same day. Do both the upper and lower falls. On your way thru Ontario I would recommend going around the Georgian Bay. The Parry Sound KOA is excellent and do take a boat tour to experience the thousand islands. It is amazing! The best Walleye we ever had, was right there in Parry Sound, on the bay. These are just suggestions. In the end we all do what works for the moment.
Safe travels.

Marie

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom