Where to Stay near Mackinac Island, MI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Betty & Terry,

At Whitefish point you MUST go see the Edmond B. FitzGerald museum about the loss of the Edmond B. FitzGerald in Lake Superior. The Maritime Sailor's Cathedral in Detroit, still to this day, rings its bell 29 times on the anniversary of the loss of the FitzGerald.  That's 29, one ring for each crewman that are still missing to this day

Terry, check Apple I-Tunes for the song "Edmond B FitzGerald" by Gordon Lightfoot.  It's a real haunting song!!!

JerryF

I agree with Jerry, the maritime museum at Whitefish point is a must see, as is the Pictured Rocks National Seashore boat tour.  The museum isn't just about the Edmond Fitzgerald, but about the huge number of shipwrecks that lay off of the shore in that area.  It's a very dangerous part of the lake.

The bell from the Fitzgerald is on display in the museum.  It was recovered from the wreck and restored.

Lorna said:
When you go out to the Island take your bikes on the ferry so you can bike around the Island if you have bikes.  Last year the bike fare was $7.50 but worth the price since the cost to rent them is $25 for an hour. 

Lorna,
We may not yet  be in high season as we saw bikes today for rent at $5 per hour.  Steep hills and not being in shape led us to the horse drawn buggies and  fudge shops.  We saw the Fort and enjoyed all of the events of the day.  It drizzled on us going over on the ferry but by mid afternoon the sun came out and it was a lovely day.

Betty

Betty

I had my bike with me and only rode around the island.  Years ago in a former life I was there by boat and we did the Grand Hotel, the fort and the town.  The ride around the island is very nice and interesting if you get the map from the visitor's info center.

Lorna said:
we did the Grand Hotel, the fort and the town. 

Lorna,

There is now a $15 admission to the Grand Hotel just to look around.  Lunch is $45.00.  The only thing they allow you to go see for free is the horse stable.  After 6pm coats ties, and dressy attire is required in the dining room.  We did  not stop.  ( ya think)

Betty

Betty

I agree.  I take pictures of it from a distance and the last time I was on or in the Grand was 1980.

There is now a $15 admission to the Grand Hotel just to look around.  Lunch is $45.00.

GULP!  Glad we did it when we did!

ArdraF

Betty Brewer said:
Lorna,

There is now a $15 admission to the Grand Hotel just to look around.  Lunch is $45.00.  The only thing they allow you to go see for free is the horse stable.  After 6pm coats ties, and dressy attire is required in the dining room.  We did  not stop.  ( ya think)

Betty

It is nice but not so nice to pay $15 admission.  Guess they don't want us to have dinner there.  Coats and ties are out of the question as far as I am concerned.

Betty:

I do not remember how much but I seem to recall a charge 20 years ago when Sue, the kids, and I were there. Three of us passed and rented bikes to see the island while Sue and Jami did the hotel.

I see inflation has made its way to the Grand Hotel.  Last year it cost $10 just to see the bar and dining room and have the privilege of buying lunch or drinks.  We learned about that on the buggy ride.  The driver stopped for us to take pictures.  But we did not return.

The reason the song about the "Edmond B. FitzGerald" is haunting might be because it is so long.  It is a 12 minute song.  We forbid singers to sing it at our karaoke shows because it uses up what is normally 4 turns of 3 minute songs.  And it is mostly spoken rather than sung.  It drones on and on and on ........... and on.  ;D

Mackinac fudge is good!  Yummm!

Just a quick note on an earlier post; the movie with Christopher Reeve was "Somewhere In Time".  There is supposed to be a marker along the beach where a pivotal scene took place.  The fans of the movie, called "INSITE" (International Network of Somewhere In Time Enthusiats) have a site.  Google it for more info before you go.  They were actually allowed to vehicles on the island for the filming.

There really are TWO Mackinac Islands!

Stay the night and you will find the second.  About 6pm the place really starts to wind down with most people going back to the mainland.  It becomes very quite and relaxing.

Take your bikes.  It is always nice to have your own.  Yes there are hills - IF you ride to the interior of the island.  The road around the island is right along the shoreline and is very flat.  For the most part the roads in town around the homes are fairly (or is somewhat) level and one can always get off and walk the bike the the next flat spot.  Many nice homes to see.  The only thing I don't like about them would be having to paint them!

Back
Top Bottom