OOPS Where did the Camper go???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ron

Moderator Emeritus
A couple driving in Billings lost their truck camper when the drove under a low overpass.  See the article HERE.Really did an number on the camper.

You bet it is and sure would ruin ones outing.  I thought it would be a good reminder to keep aware of ones rigs height and read the clearance signs.  We don't want to see these events happen.

Snagged a lint to that article yesterday

The most worried I've ever been was taking my 12'6" rig under a 12'6" clearance sign

of course that height (on the rig) is NOT loaded  Loaded it's not quite that tall (Thankfully)  No dents, scratches or sounds of radio antenna scraping bottom of overpass.

There is one place I used to drive... Many moons ago.. Bridge was under 13 foot.. Don't recall the height  We had no problems with our company trucks but several other companies had trucks go under that bridge come up ... Well.. A little short.

One company (The local waste management company) had a rule.. You drive any company vehicle.. Truck, Pick up , Even the manager's sedan, under that bridge and .... Look for alternative employment cause YOU'RE FIRED!

My question is, how could you own a rig for over 10 years and not know how high it is?

I could understand if they had only owned it for a couple of weeks. When I bought our first TC, one of the first things I did was measure the height and post it with Dynamo tape across the speedometer.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
My question is, how could you own a rig for over 10 years and not know how high it is?

Just think how many folks have no idea what there rig weighs or what the weight limits are for their rig.
I could understand if they had only owned it for a couple of weeks. When I bought our first TC, one of the first things I did was measure the height and post it with Dynamo tape across the speedometer.

We did the same thing with our first and second MH.

I think people with trucks and campers just dont think about it.  When I had mine I never thought about it until I came to them short bridges than I got to wondering will I clear?  lol 

Years ago, o.k. MANY years ago, I worked at the Trav'l mate plant. Our most popular product was an overhead camper designed for import trucks that had a raised roof section to allow an adult the stand up in the galley. After picking up his new camper Thursday, our customer was back Monday with a long face. Seems he forgot to check his clearance before driving into a shopping mall parking lot.  Due to the laminated construction, the unit was not economically repairable.

I still recall the couple parked next to me one year in Las Vegas

They flew in and the dealer picked 'em up at the airport, drove them to the lot and handed them the keys to a brand new class C.  Gave them the tour and off they drove..... They parked next to me. Sticker in the window.. He has a few memory issues and was having problems figuring out the door lock, having the same model door latch (Tri-mark) I showed him which key fit.

Well, they decided to visit Sam's Town for dinner

The parking structure did have enough clearance for the rig but... that pipe that warns you you might be too tall hangs down a bit lower than the height marked upon it

It came in under the Winegard TravelStar TV antenna, tore it off the roof, bounced up and came down on top of the bathroom vent smashing it to pieces.

Still had the sticker in the window they did.

Back
Top Bottom