B2 Visa - Addresses?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

derbyflan

I've been looking at the B2 application form and noticd that it's asking for addresses of where we'll be staying during our proposed tour of the US.  The trouble is we don't know the specifics yet and we were going to only have a flexible plan of RV Camps, Flying Js etc.

Sorry for asking dumb questions but I'm stuck already :(

Thanks again

No problems asking - we've all been stuck with one form or another.

Just write "touring the USA in an RV", and write on there somewhere that it is a "once in a lifetime holiday" as that should keep them happy that you're not staying.

Paul

Nah. It's the bureaucracy requiring that someone fill something in the space on the form. I suppose you could say Disneyland Hotel, but I think Paul's suggestion would be better for a 6-month stay.

When you arrive at the airport, if they ask which campgrounds, just say you'll pick them from a campground directory as you go along. Don't say you'll be sleeping in Flying J or Wal*Mart parking lots  ;)

I'm beginning to think that this might actually be easier than I first thought?

When we arrived in March the only form we filled in was the one on the plane.
I just booked our flights on the internet 14 weeks apart and turned up.
The address I used was the hotel we stayed at for the first day.
We were asked a couple of questions told the guy we would be touring in a Rv and away we went.
We only stay for 3 months at a time so I suppose its less of a problem for us.

Most of the sites we stayed at had very strict rules on dogs and a long list of unacceptable breeds.

In a travel guide I read it is a good idea to answer the question "Address While in the United States" with the address of the first place you stay overnight. The name of a hotel is ok the guide said.

Ror and Mike,

The address of the first hotel is fine on the I-94 form you get on the plane. Derby's question was in respect of his B2 visa application he mails while still in the UK in order to get the visa stamped in his passport.

forestboy said:
Most of the sites we stayed at had very strict rules on dogs and a long list of unacceptable breeds.

The universal rules seem to be always on leash, never leave unattended outside of RV, and always clean up leavings.  Restrictions on size and breed do occurr -- the guard breeds are the ones usually discriminated against.   Pet owner of those breeds, or any pooch for that matter are well advised to us a Trailer Life or a Woodalls campground directory and a cell phone to call ahead.   Mention your critters when reserving.

Thanks again for the input fellas.  To be honest, I'm not too concerned about the dogs once we're inside the US/Canada.  I've read quite a bit about RV sites not allowing dogs or restricting the type/size/numbers of animal so I can plot my waypoints around that issue - but I will call ahead as suggested.

Another question I have concerns extending the visa (assuming we're granted one).  Do I apply for the family extension to the US Embassy back in the UK or through a consulate office in the State we're in at the time?  Also.... I hear that quite often there's a backlog of applications which can take months for you to find out if you're successful or not.  What correspondence address did those of you who've been through the process use in the past?  Surely (standby for dumb question...) if you don't have a US address you don't sit at some RV park waiting to find out if you've been granted your extension or not?

Also.... if they finally turn you down and the wait due to backlog has now caused your Visa to expire - are you then classed as an illegal?   

Again thanks for your help.

....are you then classed as an illegal?

Yes, and they load you in a Paddy wagon and drop you off at the Mexican border  :eek:

The issue you'll have is when you try to cross back into the US from Canada. You won't have a valid visa or extension and you might be refugees of the Canadian government.

see http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=94d12c1a6855d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD

we classed ourselves as being from South Dakato as that was where our mail-forwarding company address was.

you send off the form to the address given for your State (I cant remember which address now). Although the address to send it is not in your State.

all you need is proof you sent the application and fee at least 1 day before your current Visa expires.

as we found at the time (2006, and they may have caught up now - all Americans laughing at that statement  ;D), they were 4 months behind processing forms so even if they say No, you will get that extra "backlog time".

they key thing they ask for is proof you intend to leave on the date you say ie copy of plane ticket.

you cannot do one I-539 and then another, so it's best to go to Canada and come back and then do the I-539 as your last stay.

you are free to travel whilst your application is being processed.

paul

Thanks for posting that link Paul. I now recall you and I having some discussion about I-539 with Mick. Click here to view.

Tom said:
Thanks for posting that link Paul. I now recall you and I having some discussion about I-539 with Mick. Click here to view.

Hi Paul / Tom / Guys
My visits are no more than 12 to 14 weeks at a time and the return flight is always booked as we find this the easiest and cheapest way of doing things.
The only visa we complete is the one on the plane as we arrive in the states. The plan is to do this probably twice a year until we've finished touring the states. Do you envisage us having any problems doing it this way as we're only staying 3 months, we've had none so far but that does'nt mean we won't. Reading this thread has just worried me slightly in case we should be applying for a different type of visa. Would appreciate any advise as I would rather not speak to an embassy unless I really have to as you never get a straight answer anyway.

Think I've just answered the question myself using the link to the Visa Waiver Programme which is exactly what we do.

Hiya

The only thing I would say is that they DO keep a record of every visit you make, and it is (apparently) available to the POE Officer you first get to.

I think if you were staying 3 months, going home for a couple of weeks and then going back, they might have something to say.

If you're in 3 months, out 3 months and then back in I couldnt imagine there being a problem.

Alas, it is the US and they are entitled to change their rules and/or opinion as and when they like - no matter how much it upsets the RV tourists from the UK.

Paul

Ror, yes, your shorter stays allow you to slide in under radar screen using the visa waiver program. Paul gives good advice on keeping good records of your visits.

.... no matter how much it upsets the RV tourists from the UK.

It's not an issue of upsetting tourists Paul. But it might have something to do with the fact that the UK is an involuntary host to terrorists. Allowing folks from the UK into and out of the US without scrutiny would IMHO be foolhardy and asking for trouble.

Sorry Tom

My post was intended to show support for the US Immigration stance.

They are entitled to change the rules when they like EVEN IF it upsets the tourists.

Those tourists can, of course, decide whether or not they feel the rules are too agressive and where to spend their money. Again, no controversy intended just highlighting the options.

Paul

No need to apologize Paul, I didn't take your message to be anti-US or anti-security. OTOH if we were talking about the proposed restrictions across the Severn Bridge ...

Back
Top Bottom