Severe Weather

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ron said:
When the do gooders were complaining to Sheriff Joe about housing prisoners in tents in AZ with all the heat He mentioned to troops in Iraq were living in tents at higher temps and if it was good enough fo our troops then it was good enough for criminals in AZ. 

Amen Ron,  I was afraid for a moment there (since I didn't make it clear that I meant OUR Boys and Girls, that my post had landed in the proverbial "Punch Bowl". ;) 

I hope it wamrs up a bit byt he time you get to Maine Jeff.  It's not snow, but we sure haven't had the heatwave the rest of the North-East is having.  Only been above 70 for brief periods, rain/showers almost every day but sunny too.  It is typical Maritime weather, if you don't like it, wait 15 minutes and it willchange

Betty Brewer said:
Hi Margi,

We've been just ahead of the major storms.  In fact it was only a couple of days ago that we had to drive the rig in the rain since leaving Yuma on 4/17/08.  We  were heading out of  Kalamazoo and  the thunder clouds just opened up, not drop nor buckets but falls of rain with high winds.  We had fog too and so the first Rest Area we saw, we pulled into and prepared to stay as long as it took for weather to clear. 

We had lunch and within 2 hours skies were clear, roads were clearing so we headed to Higgins Lake.  We were glad we stopped as we saw accidents and trucks who had slide into ditches.  On Saturday it was beautiful and we were able to take a nice boat ride with friends out on the lake.  Yesterday was misty and cold all day so we took a day off and I've started to read Pillars of Life.  Today it was misting so we bundled up in our rain gear and toured Mackinaw City.  By the end of the day I had peeled off all coats , sweaters and was hot .  I sampled fudge, pasties and wine in the city.  Then we  toured the Fort and watched a canon go off and watched a musket demo.  Life is good, even though we are swatting mosquitoes the size of small hummingbirds .  We are now sitting in rig watching the waters of Lake Huron right in front of us.  It is 70 degrees and 73% humidity.

Tomorrow we plan to take the ferry to the island and tour some more.  Weather has not been an issue for us, but thanks for thinking  of us.  We  watch the weather channel every day and adjust travel accordingly.  Oh the joy and blessings of being retired. We will meet up with Russ in Sault Ste. Marie  in 2 days(Wed 6/11)

Betty:  Shirley and I are leaving Dallas on Sunday, headed towards the Maritimes.  Will not cross into New Brunswick until the 14th of July.  We have several stops along the way and will stay about 2.5 weeks in Maine.  Two weeks with the Brinks.  \\

Hope to see y'all in New Foundland maybe.

Ron from Big D said:
Betty:   Shirley and I are leaving Dallas on Sunday, headed towards the Maritimes.  Will not cross into New Brunswick until the 14th of July.  We have several stops along the way and will stay about 2.5 weeks in Maine.  Hope to see y'all in New Foundland maybe.

Hi Ron and Shirley,

We'll keep in touch here via the forum.  I also hope our paths will cross.  I have your  musuem framed print hanging here in the motorhome and I would love to have you see it.  I never did find anyone to "spray" it however.  Don't have the spray either.

Our day today is sunny  but cool 47  upon wake up.  I look forward to warmer days.

Betty

Betty Brewer said:
Hi Ron and Shirley,

We'll keep in touch here via the forum.  I also hope our paths will cross.  I have your  musuem framed print hanging here in the motorhome and I would love to have you see it.  I never did find anyone to "spray" it however.  Don't have the spray either.

Our day today is sunny  but cool 47  upon wake up.  I look forward to warmer days.

Betty

Betty:  Don't worry about the spray coating.  The inks hold up very well.  The coating is extra protection.  Look forward to seeing the print.  It was never signed was it.  I need to do that.

At my last show, I sold another canvas print of an abandoned house with field of bluebonnets in front.  We added a wide, light wood frame to it.  It is stunning but the frame cost as much as the museum wrap.

We arrived in Maine yesterday (Portland area) and the temps are a welcome relief from the mid-90's we experienced in eastern Massachusetts. Hard to believe 80 miles could make that much difference.  High yesterday was about 80 and cooled off to mid 70's in mid afternoon, with a nice breeze. 60 overnight and today is following yesterday's pattern. Didn't need the a/c at all.

Like I told you there seems to be 2 seasons here, Winter and Fog, well forecast called for 80's, but it's almost 2 PM and we haven't hit 70 yet, and it was foggy all morning, having lifted about noon.  We haven't even gone down to the beach, let alone tried to swim, although I see the younger ones walking past with swim suits on, and their hair wet, so it can't be that bad. 
Gary, how far north are you heading? are you planning on coming into New Brunswick?

It was mid eighties and humid in northern Indiana today. My brother said it reached ninety today in Burlington VT; hope it cools off by next weekend when we arrive.

Gary our family reunion is in Skowhegan and it is far enough off the coast that it will probably be in the high eighties plus by July 10th when it starts.

In S St Marie with the Brewers. Cool, with lots of mosquitos and gnats. Today did Whitefish point. the Edmond Fitzgerald museum and other Coast Guard station exhibits are great. Weather much better. Cool with high of 62F and strong winds- keeps the skeeters at bay!

Russ: 

Have you been monitoring the ol' home places?  I've been tuning into www.desmoinesregister.com each day.  Amazing to see the Court Street and Grand Avenue bridges nearly under water.  Our old group birthday hangout, Buzzard Billy's, flooded at 3 a.m. this morning.  Latest word is that flooding will exceed 1993.  Are your relatives in Iowa City on high ground? 

Margi, all my relatives are safe...for now. One is taking groundwater in the basement. But even this has a silver lining. Now her #2 son has orders to come get all his childhood stuff that is stacked in the garage!

Jeanette has had to dig trenches along the back of one of the apartment bldgs to guide water from uphill away. Her own back yard is getting very squishy.

Cousin Randy has a well tiled farm and expects no water damage and a good harvest.

I have been monitoring the situation via the DSM register newspaper site and from relatives phone calls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom