tow dolly use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well Gilles, it's almost 2 months since the Rally and I see you are no closer to making a decision on which way to go with a Tow vehicle.  Why don't you try getting a used dolly, takethe Avalon to Quebec, and see what you think.  You won't be disconnecting on the way north, except for an emergency, and once in PQ you've got Suzanne's car to drive in comfort.  If you don't like it, dump the dolly after you get home, your cost will be minimal, and you will have tried ti out, then you go to the expense of the trailer for the Vette.

Giles said:
So, I still think the trailer is the best option. A Featherlite is about $ 5000.00, but it wil acommodate both cars, and any future change in cars.
Most of the campgrounds we have been in so far can handle a 60' rig.
Am I dreaming, or is that so bad ?
Thanks.

With that size Featherlite, you may be over your towing capacity and nose to tail, will probably be well over 60' long. On the other hand, it would be nice to have both cars available ;)

I am surprised you could get a Featherlite to haul a Vette at only $5k.  I like PP idea, get a dolly (used, about 5-600) use it and sell it if you don't like it.  Heck, Ron might be right! 

Friend of miine has a haulmark he wants to sell for $5k, he hauled his Meeceds in it and hauled a Crossfire in it.  has the BlueOx WD / sway control setup for it.

He pulled it to AZ and back.  Then here to GA and back.  That has been it.  He is heding out now pulling a Saturn 4 down.

PancakeBill said:
Friend of miine has a haulmark he wants to sell for $5k, he hauled his Meeceds in it and hauled a Crossfire in it.  has the BlueOx WD / sway control setup for it.

He pulled it to AZ and back.  Then here to GA and back.  That has been it.  He is heding out now pulling a Saturn 4 down.

Sounds like he may have learned a good lesson too. ;D

Maybe a lesson, but he bought it for that rip.  He was taking a motorcycle and a car out there, he sold the bike out there.  Now he has bought another bike and has an Overbilt lift to carry it, with car towed behind. 

You are right Ed, I still don't know what to do. However, I like your suggestion, and it is good to hear from you again.
Bernie, you are right also. A 14 feet Featherlite trailer with a 5 feet tongue would put me close to 63 feet.
But the tow 4 down would likely put me above 60 feet also: 43+ 16.5 + tow bar ?
Correct me if I am wrong, but  several States will not allow over 60 feet like CT, MA, and we plan to visit friends there. I believe the oher States with a 60 feet limit are: GA, IL, NC, PA, RI, WI  . 62 feet NJ.  55 feet MD.  53 feet MS.  61 feet Vermont.
Anyway, I just got a call from the Featherlite dealer that there are no 14 feet anywhere he can find, and none at the manufacturer either.
After all the opinions I read, will probably do the 4 down.
Do all dollies have electric brakes ?

Giles said:
Do all dollies have electric brakes ?

No, in fact brakes in general (electric or surge) are pretty rare on used and rental (U-Haul) dollies.  That's from my experience and the month or so of shopping around I did before finding my used Kar Kaddy.  New ones you can order any way you want I suppose, but there you're talking about a $2000-3000 price tag compared to the $400-600 range on used units.

If you want to know the exact towing length limitations for any given state you'll be traveling within, I'd suggest calling the State Police / Highway Patrol headquarters or checking out their respective websites.  Some sites are better organized than others and may have that information available.

If you have the money available for 4-down, that's probably the most convenient option.  A car hauler would accommodate any vehicle you have like you said, but storage space would be an issue at any campground.

If you Google State Towing Laws you'll find all kinds of entries.

ArdraF

I have a supplier for Master Tow, they have non-braked, electric and surge.  The elec & surge run 1500 to 1700 new.  I have an elec unit  I bought used.

If I understand you right Gary, what you are saying is that 65 feet should be safe in any State ?

The Truckers Atlas, available an any truck stop, lists the size and weight restrictions in all states.  They apply to all vehicles, not just trucks.

what you are saying is that 65 feet should be safe in any State ?

Well, Giles, there is "safe" and then there is "legal".  What I said was that 65 feet is legal on highways that fall under the federal highway rules, which are Interstates (I-xxx routes) and the National Highway system, i.e. those routes designated US-xx.  It is my understanding that the federal rules supersede the state rules on those highways.  There may be local restrictions, though, e.g. where a US highway passed down the main street of a town. You could be required to detour (truck route). Note however that you might need to drive on a state or local highway to reach a campground or fuel station.

As a practical matter I doubt if it makes any difference, but there is always the concern of an over length or over weight issue coming up if you were involved in an accident for any reason.

:D
Thanks you all. I understand a little bit better. Looks like you have to use common sense, and be careful and respectful wherever you drive, which we do since we are never in a hurry. I realized that folks will help you a lot  if they see that you are not trying to impose your weight on them; I assume that law officers will tolerate more if you are polite and well minded.

Giles & Suxanne, Donna and I will be driving past Quebec City in our Toad either tomorow or Friday.  We'll leave a waive and a hug by the bridge, be sure you pick them up when you get there ;D  At the end of the day, there is really no wrong choice of how you deal with a toad, only ways that are easier for you.

Ed & Donna

Appreciate the good comment by Gary; will do.
Ed and Donna, which bridge will you be tying the hugs to; the old bridge or the Pierre Laporte bridge ? We use, both; Suzanne's family lives about 2 minutes from either one, and we will be camping almost just under the old one, on the St Lawrence River. Have a safe trip. Where are you heading by the way ?
Suzanne and Giles.  :)

Giles, we are now in Montreal leaving tomorow evening for Ottawa to keep the grandkids.  We stayed in St Jean Port Joli last night after coming up the Matapedia Vallley from Campbellton NB to Amqui, then along Hwy 132 to Quebec, and Hwy 138 to Montreal.  We hadn't been along the old road for likely 25 years, and it was great.  So, since we were on 132, we left the HUGS and KISSES along the Traffic Circle by the old bridge

Ed and Donna, OK we will walk from the campground to the old bridge. Did I tell you I lived in Amqui for my first 2 years of classic course (humanities, 8 years total back then, after primary school), and the last 3 years at Ste Anne de la Pocatiere (the big college on the hill), a few miles from St Jean Port Jolie. Route 132 is beautiful, I must have driven it thousands of times as a kid, student and every time we go back home since; you did your homeworks well as always in planning this trip. Enjoy it. ::) :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandlers
Back
Top Bottom