EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Air conditioner thermostat  (Read 2538 times)

BillyandDonna

• ---
Air conditioner thermostat
« on: July 13, 2005, 06:16:20 PM »
Hello All,

Recently my front A/C went out during a weekend trip.  I have determined it to be the thermostat.  The A/C is a Coleman 8535 HP2 and the thermostat is a digital RVComfort.HP.  My problem is I cannot find that thermostat.  I've googled "rvcomfort," "rvproducts thermostat," "coleman rv thermostat," and any other phrase I can think of.  PPL Motorhomes came up, but it did not have the digital thermostat.  I called several local RV parts stores and they wanted about $70 for the RVComfort.HC thermostat which is the analog equivalent to what I have.  BTW, PPL offers this one for $36.

I actually have 2 questions.  First, where can I get the digital RVComfort.HP digital thermostat?  Second, if I can't find that thermostat, can I go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get any 12VDC thermostat?  Either option is acceptable.

Thanks,

Billy Crowell

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • No Brett; no sweat. A QB's not the whole team.
Re: Air conditioner thermostat
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 06:53:11 PM »
Billy,

Before you buy anything, I suggest you download this PDF document and go through the thermostat test procedures. If it still shows the thermostat and not a rely as the culprit, the mfg. customer service should be able to point you to a dealer.  www.rvcomfort.com/pdf_documents/1976376.pdf

Meant to say "relay", but you probably knew that :-\
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 01:44:07 AM by Karl »
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

BillyandDonna

• ---
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 07:30:38 PM »
Great minds think alike, huh?!  That's what I did and how I determined it was the thermostat.  I tried to call the Manufacturer, but they were closed.  I'll give them a call again tomorrow.  Thanks for the reply

Billy

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 06:09:27 PM »
Billy answer these questions:

How many wires to the 'stat  If it's 2, then odds are a generac from anywhere will work, 3 or more gets tougher

but does not rule out a generic working.

However try to find the proper replacement

NOTE: Digital stats are usually designed to switch 24vac and may not re-charge their internal batteries properly during the "off" cycle if powered by 12VDC, they may also not shut off at all
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

BillyandDonna

• ---
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 04:07:12 PM »
Thanks for the replies, guys.  I spoke with RV Products the day after posting this and they were able to refer me to a distributor in my area that I could not find on the net.  I got the exact same thermostat that I now have.  It cost me $70 plus tax.  Interestingly enough I called a local dealer that had the analog equivalent and they wanted almost exactly the same price.

Thanks again and stay safe.

Hosted by Over The Network