??? on Jet Skis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gginkc

Hi I am thinking of getting a pair of Jet Skis to tow behine the RV and not sure where to start.

What is the difference between Jet Skis or Wave Runners? I know I dont want a model you have to stand on to use.

When looking at ad's on Ebay and Craigslsit, it seems there are a lot of fairly new models that say new engine. Is there a reason so many blow thier engines?

Any anwsers or tips would be apreciated.

Glenn

What is the difference between Jet Skis or Wave Runners?

Glenn, I suppose we should use the generic term PWC (personal water craft). Wave Runner is a Yahama brand name, and many/all of their models are called Wave Runner.

I know I dont want a model you have to stand on to use.

I don't blame you. One suggestion would be to get a 3-seater; They're a little longer and wider, and are far more stable than 2-seaters. That stability is especially important at low speed or at idle, when the PWC is not on plane.

Is there a reason so many blow thier engines?

I'd assume it's because folks, especially kids, run them at wide open throttle all the time, and also keep the throttle wide open when they go airborne jumping those waves/wakes; Full throttle at no load can't be good for any engine. They may also have neglected maintenance &/or oil requirements. I'd wonder what other abuse or lack of maintenance was involved.

Do the ones you're looking at have 2 cycle or 4 cycle engines?

HI Tom. That clears thing up a little. Kind of like calling tissue Klennex. PWC's it is.

Yes, the 3 seaters look like what I would want.

We are pretty carefull about things so we dont need a unit that will go 60-70mph.

Can you think of the pros and cons weather 2 or 4 cycle? What is the differnce?

Thanks.

.... we dont need a unit that will go 60-70mph.

Top speed on our Wave Runner 1200XL is 64 mph, but I don't think I've driven it over 40 mph. 30-35 mph is about as fast as I want to go. But, it's nice to have some reserve power. Just remember that you rely on power for steering with a jet drive; So, when you get in a tight spot, you need to keep on the throttle (or open it up) to be able to negotiate around the problem. If you do the 'natural' thing and back off the throttle, you have no steering.

Can you think of the pros and cons weather 2 or 4 cycle? What is the differnce?

An increasing number of inland waters do not allow 2 cycle PWCs or boats. So, you should check with the state(s) where you plan to use it. There are probably also some technical preferences for one vs the other, but they're for someone else to explain.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom