Towing an HHR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am going to tow a 2008 HHR behind a 2008 Phaeton.  I am planning to use the Roadmaster baseplate.  Which tow bar would you recommend?  I think I would prefer a motorhome mount, but I am not sure.

Thanks,
Allen

Motorhome mount is the way to go.

Roadmaster and Blue Ox both make good tow bars. Just be sure to get one that's rated to tow at least the weight of your toad.

Since you're using a Roadmaster base plate, using a Blue Ox tow bar will require you to purchase adapters, whereas the Roadmaster tow bar will not. Similarly, if you used a Blue Ox base plate you'd need adapters to be able to use a Roadmaster tow bar but not the Blue Ox tow bar..

Thanks for the reply Tom.

Roadmaster makes the following motorhome mount tow bars:
  Falcon 2
  Falcon All Terrain
  Blackhawk All Terrain
  Sterling All Terrain

They are all rated well above the 3155 lb weight of the HHR.  Do you have a preference?

Thanks,
Allen

Do you have a preference?

Not really. We tow a Suburban (weighs 7,000 lbs), so we went with the Blackhawk. We recently upgraded to the Blackhawk II All Terrain, which has a towing capacity of 10,000 lbs and is a little easier to work with than the old Blackhawk. But it's an overkill for your needs. The Falcon All Terrain should do just fine, but do check the specs before buying.

The All Terrain is the best, i.e. most forgiving of terrain problems that can make unhitching difficult. Get the Falcon All Terrain. The Sterling All Terrain is fine too, but it isn't all that much lighter than the Falcon and not worth the extra cost in my opinion. You may have a different opinion on the weight question.    You don't need the extra capacity of the Blackhawk.

Back
Top Bottom