EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Musical talent of RV Forum members  (Read 12937 times)

Cliff

• ---
Musical talent of RV Forum members
« on: June 12, 2008, 08:12:07 AM »
Now theres a song.....right Tom?......Cliff  hahahahahaha

While looking in my 99 Four Winds-Windsport's Ford Triton Engine, I found tons of mouse crap in there.
Also found some in the generator area.  Nasty.  No mice now though or any problems from them.
I will have to get it out with a vacuum attachment that can fit down there.
Good thing I have a really good cat.

Jay
[edit]Moved URL to sig line.[/edit]
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 09:36:35 AM by Tom »

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Re: Musical talent of RV Forum members
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 09:55:01 AM »
Lots of meat for a song right there Cliff.

If anyone hasn't heard some of the songs that Cliff has written, sung, and recorded, click on the link in his signature line. Having previously bought a couple of his RV-related CDs, I can say that they're quite entertaining. With Cliff's permission, we even had a group singalong of one of his songs at one of our Moab rallies.

You can also hear clips of Cliff's songs on his web site. One of my favorites is Waltzing through WalMart, listed under RV Songs.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 10:54:55 AM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Gordon Groff

• ---
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 09:17:36 PM »
Thanks for the "Heads Up" on Cliff's talents.  REALLY good job recording and production on them, not to mention great song writing.  Love your voice.  I hope to meet you some day on the road or in a Walmart lot, Cliff.  You and my Sweet Nancy could have a time (She's pianist and muscially creative too).  I'm going to spend some more time on your site, but she's calling me away from the 'puter now.

Oops....  This thread is about mouse turds.  Sorry.  :)

Gordon
Gordon and Sweet Nancy
2010 Tiffin Allegro 35 QBA
2010 Honda CRV Toad
8Lb. Papillon

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »
Gordon,

Cliff certainly has some talent. Wouldn't it be great if we could get Cliff and Nancy together at a forum rally!

Gordon Groff

• ---
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 12:05:16 PM »
Gordon,

Cliff certainly has some talent. Wouldn't it be great if we could get Cliff and Nancy together at a forum rally!

I was thinking the same thing, Tom!  When we go on the road, you can count on it.  I very much enjoy and appreciate the feeling of relationship I sense on this forum and know that whenever we can join you guys it will be good.  I really hope Cliff and Nancy could get together. What a wonderful, honey-golden voice!  I'll be cobbling up a portable mini-mixer/pa system for her keyboard and mics just for fun.  I'll bet there's lots of talent, and not a few hams in the "framily".

Makes me all the more eager to enter the next stage of life, Tom.  Unfortunately, I've got some more time to put in here before then.

Gordon
Gordon and Sweet Nancy
2010 Honda CRV Toad
8Lb. Papillon

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 02:16:17 PM »
Drums/percussion, and a little harmonica played here.  ;)  Wife plays piano and violin.  Sounds like we've got quite an RV band forming!
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 03:20:44 PM »
I split these message from another topic and moved them here in order to retain the integrity of the original discussion, and to give this subject an opportunity to develop in its own right.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 03:28:23 PM »
Some talent and creativity was revealed during a prior Moab rally, including forum staffer Jim Dick, an Irish piper. Check out some of the photos here.

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 97 Southwind 35P
    • WorKamping in Yellowstone
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 04:25:51 PM »
Dobro here, mostly bluegrass with some old time country thrown in.  All along some gospel music. 

Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Old Faithful, Yellowstone Association Bookstore
1997 Southwind 35P
Toads: 1997 Honda Accord & 1986 Westfalia
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Dave Stringham

• ---
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 04:31:15 PM »
I have often volunteered to show up at anyones campsite with my accordian and tamborine and jump right into my own rendition of "Remember the Bossa Nova"........for some reason....no one ever takes me up on that    ;D
Dave Stringham
Monaco Executive (The Luv Shack)

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 06:43:28 PM »
If somebody can play it, I'll try to  sing along.  Have even been known to go a cappella.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 07:48:07 PM »
Gary,

Don't forget your buddy Dave plays the Dulcimer and Pat Dick has a beautiful voice. So, no need to sing alone. Maybe we can coax barbershopper Ned out of retirement  ;D

KodiakRV

• ---
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 08:10:45 PM »
I have often volunteered to show up at anyones campsite with my accordian and tamborine and jump right into my own rendition of "Remember the Bossa Nova"........for some reason....no one ever takes me up on that    ;D

Would that be "Blame It On The Bossa Nova"?
Frank
Florida

Jackliz

• ---
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 08:14:11 PM »
Can't fit a baby grande piano in the Wanderlodge so I play a Yamaha portable grand keyboard, YPG625. Have been playing for a lot of years.

Liz
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 08:23:33 PM by Jackliz »
Regards,
Jack and Liz Pearce and Oreo the Escape Cat
Fulltiming in a 1993 Wanderlodge WB 40 ft
Dhanis, TX - Winter
Buena Vista, CO - Summer

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 08:36:01 PM »
Maybe we can coax barbershopper Ned out of retirement 

Only if I don't have to sing baritone any more :)
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 08:36:28 PM »
...I play a Yamaha portable grand keyboard, YPG625. Have been playing for a lot of years.

Liz, could I sign up for lessons?

I was never able to read or play music, but made a passable attempt at singing (all Welshmen sing). I have the ability to hear a song and be able to reproduce it vocally. Several years ago I signed up with a barbershop chorus and learned a lot about singing techniques, but I still learned their songs by ear. It used to frustrate me when it was time to learn a new song and many of the guys could read the score, while others tapped it out on the keyboard.

Frustrated, I bought myself a Yamaha keyboard and some books, and taught myself to read a little music. I also took lessons with a guy who taught piano and organ. But my keyboard skills are about as good as my typings skills; Chris says I'm the fastest 1-finger hunt-and-peck typist she knows.

My objective in learning to read music and play the keyboard was to be able to correlate what I see on a score with what comes out of my mouth. Objective not achieved!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 12:32:03 PM by Tom »

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2008, 08:38:16 PM »
Only if I don't have to sing baritone any more

Base is gone, so you have two choices  ;D  OTOH if push came to shove, I could go up to barri.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 08:42:06 PM »
Give me a couple of Irish whiskeys and I'll sing tenor :)  Bass is definitely out, unless I have a bad cold.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2008, 08:42:23 PM »
We shouldn't forget karaoke stars Smoky and Sharon.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2008, 08:42:57 PM »
Buy your own whiskey and you can sing whichever part you want  ;D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 11:34:38 PM by Tom »

Gordon Groff

• ---
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 09:17:41 PM »
Can't fit a baby grande piano in the Wanderlodge so I play a Yamaha portable grand keyboard, YPG625. Have been playing for a lot of years.

Liz

Y'know, this is probably the biggest reason we can't consider full-timing ourselves.  No way will Nancy ever give up her grand.  Your keyboard looks really good.  The one we have does not really satisfy.  It's a Casio Privia that I got mainly because it's the only 88key board that's light enough for Nancy to handle for her nursing home gigs.   Here's a shot of our piano and recording setup at home.

The idea of a fun jam session at a rally sounds like a terrific good time. 

Gordon

Gordon and Sweet Nancy
2010 Honda CRV Toad
8Lb. Papillon

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2008, 05:49:19 AM »
Liz, could I sign up for lessons?

I was never able to read or play music, but made a passable attempt at singing (all Welshmen sing).

Yes, you certainly have done that!! BTW, I'm living proof you do not have to be able to read music to play an instrument. I learned the pipes more by fingering and sound than from any music. Still can't take an unkown tune and play without a lot of trial and error. If I hear a song, and have the sheet music, I can follow it but then have to rely on my memory of how it sounded to play it correctly. Of course, that little episode in Moab certainly wouldn't help anyone believe what I just said!! ;D ;D ;D
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2000 American Dream 40' DP
2012 GMC Terrain
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T Motorcycle
http://photo.net/photos/jimdick

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2008, 12:57:13 PM »
I am happy to see that I am not the only one that is "musically inclined and declined" at the same time.

Over the years I have collected a guitar, a Wald-Zither,a ceremonial horn(5' long), another smaller Zither (I think) IT'S A MANDOLIN, an electronic keyboard, bongo drums, and mouth organs.

Even though I have nearly perfect pitch, I can't play any of them well.  ;D  And when I try, everyone leaves the room.  :'(

Seems like my musical neurons will not reach my fingertips, nor will they interpret music on paper into a workable asset.

For all my life I have tried, but it won't work. I guess there has to be a touch of artist in ones genes; I can't find mine. :(

Oh well, I guess I'll stick with my scientific genes and be happy.

carson FL

« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 05:34:17 PM by carson »
Carson, 
 West Central Florida
Ex RV'er. (1995 Winnebago Adventurer)
2007 Buick Rendezvous, SUV / CROSSOVER

...Logic works like a charm...

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2008, 09:17:15 PM »
I never learned to play the piano either, but we had one and I could pick out a tune the way you do. Or play the chords shown for guitars and one-finger the melody. When I was a kid I was glad my Mom did not insist on lessons, even though she could play. Now I wish I had at least a bit of formal training to fall back on. Oh well - I'll just hack away.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2008, 06:45:09 AM »
Tom,

When I was 14 I wanted to play the drums. I had a friend that was trying out for a pipe band. We went to practice and they told me they had enough drummers but wanted some pipers. They gave me a practice chanter and book. I learned the scale and decided it wasn't for me. Fast forward 12 years and my discharge from the Navy. Having played drums in the drum & bugle corps at boot camp, I was still inerested. I had the weekend duty with the phone company and was watching a parade pass by for Memorial Day. I recognized a fellow worker playing the tenor drum. I approached him the next week and joined the band. Played with them almost 20 years starting on the side drum, moving to the tenor drum for about 10 years, and then on to the pipes.

I only decided to play the pipes because the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards had recorded Amazing Grace and I thought it was spectacular. I finally learned the tune and several others. The Pipe Major finally asked when I was going out on the street as a Piper. Told him I wasn't good enough but he didn't agree. The rest is history. ;D
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Gordon Groff

• ---
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2008, 07:01:08 AM »
Jim,

Hearing you pipe the sun down with Amazing Grace at a desert rally is one more "to do" that I've just added to our list.  We saw some guy at Key West do that in a parking lot and it was beautiful. 

Gordon
Gordon and Sweet Nancy
2010 Honda CRV Toad
8Lb. Papillon

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2008, 10:46:51 AM »
Great story Jim.

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2008, 12:02:26 PM »
Jim,

Hearing you pipe the sun down with Amazing Grace at a desert rally is one more "to do" that I've just added to our list.  We saw some guy at Key West do that in a parking lot and it was beautiful. 

Gordon

Gordon,

Maybe someday I'll be able to do that again. It has been  many years since I've really "played" the pipes but I do still carry them with me. Sometimes I'll get them out and try to play but it takes a lot of work to get them in shape. I've promised myself I'm going to band practice this year just to see my old friends. Maybe they'll give me more incentive. ;D BTW, whenever we played Amazing Grace it was always followed by Going Home, another great tune for the pipes.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2008, 12:04:06 PM »
Great story Jim.

Thanks. It's amazing how things turn out in this world.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

KodiakRV

• ---
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2008, 07:06:01 PM »
... I've promised myself I'm going to band practice this year just to see my old friends. Maybe they'll give me more incentive. ;D ...

Jim --
There's a guy I know at work that plays the pipes with some marching band here in the Melbourne area.  Maybe you could hook up with them when you're back down here...
Frank
Florida

Hosted by Over The Network