Musical talent of RV Forum members

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jackliz said:
Can't fit a baby grande piano in the Wanderlodge so I play a Yamaha portable grand keyboard, YPG625. Have been playing for a lot of years.

Liz

Y'know, this is probably the biggest reason we can't consider full-timing ourselves.  No way will Nancy ever give up her grand.  Your keyboard looks really good.  The one we have does not really satisfy.  It's a Casio Privia that I got mainly because it's the only 88key board that's light enough for Nancy to handle for her nursing home gigs.  Here's a shot of our piano and recording setup at home.

The idea of a fun jam session at a rally sounds like a terrific good time. 

Gordon

Attachments

• GordonNancy_onBench6x4x300.jpg
    GordonNancy_onBench6x4x300.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 29
Tom said:
Liz, could I sign up for lessons?

I was never able to read or play music, but made a passable attempt at singing (all Welshmen sing).

Yes, you certainly have done that!! BTW, I'm living proof you do not have to be able to read music to play an instrument. I learned the pipes more by fingering and sound than from any music. Still can't take an unkown tune and play without a lot of trial and error. If I hear a song, and have the sheet music, I can follow it but then have to rely on my memory of how it sounded to play it correctly. Of course, that little episode in Moab certainly wouldn't help anyone believe what I just said!! ;D ;D ;D

I am happy to see that I am not the only one that is "musically inclined and declined" at the same time.

Over the years I have collected a guitar, a Wald-Zither,a ceremonial horn(5' long), another smaller Zither (I think) IT'S A MANDOLIN, an electronic keyboard, bongo drums, and mouth organs.

Even though I have nearly perfect pitch, I can't play any of them well.  ;D  And when I try, everyone leaves the room.  :'(

Seems like my musical neurons will not reach my fingertips, nor will they interpret music on paper into a workable asset.

For all my life I have tried, but it won't work. I guess there has to be a touch of artist in ones genes; I can't find mine. :(

Oh well, I guess I'll stick with my scientific genes and be happy.

carson FL

I never learned to play the piano either, but we had one and I could pick out a tune the way you do. Or play the chords shown for guitars and one-finger the melody. When I was a kid I was glad my Mom did not insist on lessons, even though she could play. Now I wish I had at least a bit of formal training to fall back on. Oh well - I'll just hack away.

Tom,

When I was 14 I wanted to play the drums. I had a friend that was trying out for a pipe band. We went to practice and they told me they had enough drummers but wanted some pipers. They gave me a practice chanter and book. I learned the scale and decided it wasn't for me. Fast forward 12 years and my discharge from the Navy. Having played drums in the drum & bugle corps at boot camp, I was still inerested. I had the weekend duty with the phone company and was watching a parade pass by for Memorial Day. I recognized a fellow worker playing the tenor drum. I approached him the next week and joined the band. Played with them almost 20 years starting on the side drum, moving to the tenor drum for about 10 years, and then on to the pipes.

I only decided to play the pipes because the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards had recorded Amazing Grace and I thought it was spectacular. I finally learned the tune and several others. The Pipe Major finally asked when I was going out on the street as a Piper. Told him I wasn't good enough but he didn't agree. The rest is history. ;D

Jim,

Hearing you pipe the sun down with Amazing Grace at a desert rally is one more "to do" that I've just added to our list.  We saw some guy at Key West do that in a parking lot and it was beautiful. 

Gordon

Gordon Groff said:
Jim,

Hearing you pipe the sun down with Amazing Grace at a desert rally is one more "to do" that I've just added to our list.  We saw some guy at Key West do that in a parking lot and it was beautiful. 

Gordon

Gordon,

Maybe someday I'll be able to do that again. It has been  many years since I've really "played" the pipes but I do still carry them with me. Sometimes I'll get them out and try to play but it takes a lot of work to get them in shape. I've promised myself I'm going to band practice this year just to see my old friends. Maybe they'll give me more incentive. ;D BTW, whenever we played Amazing Grace it was always followed by Going Home, another great tune for the pipes.

Jim Dick said:
... I've promised myself I'm going to band practice this year just to see my old friends. Maybe they'll give me more incentive. ;D ...

Jim --
There's a guy I know at work that plays the pipes with some marching band here in the Melbourne area.  Maybe you could hook up with them when you're back down here...

KodiakRV said:
Jim --
There's a guy I know at work that plays the pipes with some marching band here in the Melbourne area.  Maybe you could hook up with them when you're back down here...

Frank,

I have heard that Melboure had a band. I would join another but being that I'm only there about half a year makes it difficult for either location. Would love to sit in on a practice session to see what they are like. We had at least three bands in the town where I played. One was top notch and hard to beat anywhere. The other was a struggiling band and still are. Ours was just right. We could play any street parade or general gathering with pride but couldnt' take the top prize. That's where I wanted to be. Marching on the street was most rewarding and competition was too much work. :)

Many Thanks Tom....since your ideas inspired a lot of my songs .....Thank you..............My wife an I took positions with a college in Missouri for a few years.......we fulltimed a few years before but not old enough to retire. So if anyone is in or around KC..... email me and we'll pick.........I sequence the Yamaha PSR 9000 for a full band sound, play it some on stage but always fall back to the Martin. The Bose PA helps too.........Come to KC Tom and bring a lot of your RV family!!!!! Cliff................

Tom said:
Lots of meat for a song right there Cliff.

If anyone hasn't heard some of the songs that Cliff has written, sung, and recorded, click on the link in his signature line. Having previously bought a couple of his RV-related CDs, I can say that they're quite entertaining. With Cliff's permission, we even had a group singalong of one of his songs at one of our Moab rallies.

You can also hear clips of Cliff's songs on his web site. One of my favorites is Waltzing through WalMart, listed under RV Songs.

Thanks Gordon.....my live sound just gets luck sometimes.................You guys have the great sounds....      see http://www.sweetnancy.com/
Cliff......Have an RV Day!!!!!

Gordon Groff said:
Thanks for the "Heads Up" on Cliff's talents.  REALLY good job recording and production on them, not to mention great song writing.  Love your voice.  I hope to meet you some day on the road or in a Walmart lot, Cliff.  You and my Sweet Nancy could have a time (She's pianist and muscially creative too).  I'm going to spend some more time on your site, but she's calling me away from the 'puter now.

Oops....  This thread is about mouse turds.  Sorry.  :)

Gordon

I just got Cliff's RV songs CD today.  Anyone watching me drive by would have seen a goofy grin, but missed the toe-tapping.

Seriously fun music.  Some of the lyrics in South Dakota did me wrong (??) made me laugh out loud.  Loved the Rock and Rolling RV song too.

Lotsa fun!  The visual images of the sewer line with the loose clamp, the toad passing on the grass, and the awning coming loose were a hoot.  I can't imagine anyone who has ever RV'd not enjoying this one.

Great job, Cliff!

Gordon

Glad you enjoyed Cliff's music and singing Gordon.

Wow.....Thanks so much Gordon..........I am really happy you liked it! I guess when you write a song from a true experience you have had or from a first hand story it comes across with a real meaning.

I can still remember standing at the state dump station in Iowa off I-29..101 degrees..My shorts and T-shirt had been white but now smurf blue from the blue sewer chemical(6 packs while going down the road....was stinkin bad) POOPey Blue water everywhere. Looking at my toes in my sandles with little brown lumps between them. It was all my wifes fault(always) hahahahaha....she pulled to close to the dump station....had never used that short hose with the loose clamp......not fun.....squattin down to push the valve handle in.... after first seeing the leak....getting hit with 40 gallons of poopy water in the chest that knocked me off my feet'''''''sitting with my hands in blue poop''''''That trip to South Dakota.....wasn't too good to me.....cliff

Gordon Groff said:
I just got Cliff's RV songs CD today.  Anyone watching me drive by would have seen a goofy grin, but missed the toe-tapping.

Seriously fun music.  Some of the lyrics in South Dakota did me wrong (??) made me laugh out loud.  Loved the Rock and Rolling RV song too.

Lotsa fun!  The visual images of the sewer line with the loose clamp, the toad passing on the grass, and the awning coming loose were a hoot.  I can't imagine anyone who has ever RV'd not enjoying this one.

Great job, Cliff!

Gordon

Oh, That's right!  "South Dakota Was Not Too Good To Me"  Played it last night with wife and daughter #2 in the van.  Sweet Nancy laughs easily, but even my very cool daughter busted out at that refrain that kept popping up between increasingly outrageous incidents. 

Thanks for the fun, Cliff!

Gordon

Wife sings alto, and is a soloist; I sing bass in a southern gospel quartet.

Flytyer2 said:
Wife sings alto, and is a soloist; I sing bass in a southern gospel quartet.

Hi Fly!  Man, we coud have Church!  That's Sweet Nancy's favorite and most proficient venue - Gospel/Worship music.

Gordon

Back
Top Bottom