Canadian Maritimes with Mahoney/Brewers 08

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you're ever passing through or near Sterling, Colorado, on I-76, they did the same thing with trees. There are some really neat carvings there and it's a nice stop on an otherwise fairly boring highway.
Wendy

August 21, 2008  Prince Edward Island, Southport RV Park  902 569-2287

We said good bye to our 21 days in  Nova Scotia today.  We took the free 75 minute ferry ride today to Prince Edward Island,  known as the Gentle Island. (All roads onto the island are free. It will cost us to leave!)  It is the size of Delaware.  Our initial impressions are that it  is farmland dotted with  spanking white homes with BIG lawns.  I can?t believe how much lawn they mow.  We are at a beautiful RV park overlooking  the harbor in Charlottetown.  If you get what you pay for, this works. This is the most expensive RV park we?ve used on our trip and it is also the most beautiful setting.  I  am watching a beautiful sunset and seeing  elegant blue herons glide to landings. 
It was a gloriously blue beautiful weather day that we come to treasure on a trip where  rain can  cloud a day in  minutes.
Unfortunately on the way we traveled through a construction zone that trashed the motor home and car with  a black tar kind of spatter.  Terry spent  hours cleaning it  up on our arrival. I took the car to a car wash.  I found a place to get my prescription refilled and got a hair cut. It was a very productive day. 

We heard from RV Forum friends Ron and Shirley Maribito and made plans for them to meet us with us in the morning when they make a day trip to the island.  Life continues to be good.

I have  a big  (60) birthday coming up on Saturday and am trying to figure out the most special things to do on ?MY big day.?  I have already made purchases to honor my years of  service and had them sent to Pam?s house.

Attachments

• 073.JPG
    073.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 33
  • 077.JPG
    077.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 079.JPG
    079.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 080.JPG
    080.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 31
Betty Brewer said:
August 21, 2008  Prince Edward Island, Southport RV Park  902 569-2287

We are at a beautiful RV park overlooking  the harbor in Charlottetown.  If you get what you pay for, this works. This is the most expensive RV park we?ve used on our trip and it is also the most beautiful setting.  I  am watching a beautiful sunset and seeing  elegant blue herons glide to landings. 

Betty

We had stayed there 2 years ago, $31/nite then. They had indicated that the park might be sold and developed as condos. Glad to see that it is still going, I've given it as a recommendation but did not know if it still was open. Isn't that a great view thru the front window of the coach?

Betty Brewer said:
I have  a big  (60) birthday coming up on Saturday and am trying to figure out the most special things to do on ?MY big day.?  I have already made purchases to honor my years of  service and had them sent to Pam?s house.

Bernie said: We had stayed there 2 years ago, $31/nite then. They had indicated that the park might be sold and developed as condos.

Unfortunately this has come to pass. The permits have been issued and the RV park is soon to be history, according to the manager.

August 22, 2008  Charlottetown City Tour,

Today was a perfect  summer weather day.  The temperature turned 76 and was the warmest we have seen all summer.  We were treated to a visit by Ron and  Shirley who drove in from New Brunswick for the day.  We  shared the favorite places we had visited and  Terry shared  our photos on the big screen TV.  After a hurried lunch at Wendy?s we were able to make the London Double decker bus tour of the city.  Charlottetown is considered the birthplace of the confederation .  Lots of history here.  We were told that the reason for the red soil here on PEI is tht God created the  world in 6 days and on the 7th day when he looked down on PEI, he blushed.  We also learned that  you can only buy alcohol at State Liquor Stores.  Seems in the 30?s  their congress decided that  alcohol could only be sold with a Doctors prescription.  Well an epidemic followed and congress changed their mind on the  RX deal.  We snapped photos of the  old buildings and some of the newer.  The City is beautiful.  I checked out the Anne of Green Gables Chocolate shop.  After saying our good byes to Ron and  Shirley Terry  found a barber shop as I strolled through the Confederation of the Arts Buildings. 

We plan to drive the Points East Coastal Drive tomorrow.  My goal is the 5 lighthouses, several  beaches and one winery.  Depending on how we feel  after a long day will decide what our evening brings.  We had some good news that we do not have to move spots tomorrow.  We get to keep this glorious view spot.  We only wish we could set up chairs and tripods and enjoy the photo ops, but the  mosquitoes are ferocious and have us sitting safely inside our rigs.

Betty
Enjoying the last day of my 50?s.

Attachments

• Charlottetown03 (Medium).JPG
    Charlottetown03 (Medium).JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Charlottetown09 (Medium).JPG
    Charlottetown09 (Medium).JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Charlottetown11 (Medium).JPG
    Charlottetown11 (Medium).JPG
    76 KB · Views: 31
  • Charlottetown32 (Medium).JPG
    Charlottetown32 (Medium).JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Charlottetown31 (Medium).JPG
    Charlottetown31 (Medium).JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Charlottetown34 (Medium).JPG
    Charlottetown34 (Medium).JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 31
All roads onto the island are free.

For clarification Betty, my recollection (confirmed by attached photo) is that we paid a heavy toll to get onto PEI via Confederation Bridge.

Attachments

• Conf_bridge.jpg
    Conf_bridge.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Confederation bridge.jpg
    Confederation bridge.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 24
Betty,

Congratulations on your 60 th. Birthday. Wish you a very nice day and i'm sure Terry will take care of the flowers,breakfast lunch and dinner despite it's not a blue job Love your travel log and Terry's pictures.

Chris & Mimi

Betty Brewer said:
August 22, 2008  Charlottetown City Tour,

Today was a perfect  summer weather day.  The temperature turned 76 and was the warmest we have seen all summer.  We were treated to a visit by Ron and  Shirley who drove in from New Brunswick for the day.  We  shared the favorite places we had visited and  Terry shared  our photos on the big screen TV.  After a hurried lunch at Wendy?s we were able to make the London Double decker bus tour of the city.  Charlottetown is considered the birthplace of the confederation .  Lots of history here.  We were told that the reason for the red soil here on PEI is tht God created the  world in 6 days and on the 7th day when he looked down on PEI, he blushed.  We also learned that  you can only buy alcohol at State Liquor Stores.  Seems in the 30?s  their congress decided that  alcohol could only be sold with a Doctors prescription.  Well an epidemic followed and congress changed their mind on the  RX deal.  We snapped photos of the  old buildings and some of the newer.  The City is beautiful.  I checked out the Anne of Green Gables Chocolate shop.  After saying our good byes to Ron and  Shirley Terry  found a barber shop as I strolled through the Confederation of the Arts Buildings. 

We plan to drive the Points East Coastal Drive tomorrow.  My goal is the 5 lighthouses, several  beaches and one winery.  Depending on how we feel  after a long day will decide what our evening brings.  We had some good news that we do not have to move spots tomorrow.  We get to keep this glorious view spot.  We only wish we could set up chairs and tripods and enjoy the photo ops, but the  mosquitoes are ferocious and have us sitting safely inside our rigs.

Betty
Enjoying the last day of my 50?s.

Betty:  Thanks for including photos of us.  When we left you, we drove up to the north coast and west before heading back to NB.  By the way, they let you on the island for nothing, but they charge you steeply to get off.  We paid $41.50 for the pleasure of crossing the bridge with the car.  We enjoyed the visit, although brief.  Have a safe trip and we will see you down the road.

... they let you on the island for nothing, but they charge you steeply to get off.  We paid $41.50 for the pleasure of crossing the bridge with the car.

Ron, was that Confederation Bridge? If so, my memory has it all backwards. For some reason, I thought we paid the toll as we got off the island end of the bridge.

Stop the presses! I just looked through my PEI pictures and found this one of the toll booths at Confederation Bridge. Sure looks like they're on the "leaving" side of the bridge.

Attachments

• toll.jpg
    toll.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 30
Tom said:
For clarification Betty, my recollection (confirmed by attached photo) is that we paid a heavy toll to get onto PEI via Confederation Bridge.

Tom,

We pay to get off the island.  Terry says it would be cheaper just to stay here.  I'll let you know the cost when we make the move off of PEI.

Betty

Hi Betty,

Yes, I already posted a correction to my earlier message. I was confused  :(

Tom said:
Ron, was that Confederation Bridge? If so, my memory has it all backwards. For some reason, I thought we paid the toll as we got off the island end of the bridge.

Tom

You and Ron are saying the same things. There is only one bridge, the Confederation Bridge, and one ferry. Both are no charge to the island but a double fee when you get off the island.

Bernie,

I already corrected myself a couple of messages ago, and even posted a picture to prove I was previously in error. This is a tough crowd!

Don't forget that the Islanders have to pay the toll too, every time they want to go shopping or take their produce to the mainland. And don't forget that you will happily pay for a ferry, so just think how much easier the bridge is. It's one of the longest bridges in the world, 13 km, and was a HUGE undertaking, so I don't mind paying when I go to the Island.
Rankjo

I had no problem paying the toll. Steve Pally had warned me in advance. The bridge sure beats a ferry, and it's quite a structure.

August 23, 2008  My 60th Birthday  Prince Edward Island, East Coast

A tough day.  A new decade. A new sense of urgency that life is short.  We toured from early morning to late evening.  We drove through  the  pristine countryside of PEI.  Lots of coves, coasts, lighthouses and lunch.  We saw nearly 94 historic sites or beaches today.  We did skip a few of them as I was on overload.  My most favorite part of the day was a visit to the local winery.  I liked their Chardonnay very much. The beaches are red sand.  It  got up to 82 today so it was very  nice beach weather and we saw a few  folks enjoying them.  This island seems much more modern and up to date than others we?ve visited.  There are lots of  pretty churches and historic cemeteries that genealogists could use to trace ancestors, or so the tour book says.    We went to  dinner at a Mexican place as I was trying to  feel like being at home.  The margarita was ok and the fajita?s very good.  We will  go see a dinner show here in Charlottetown to continue on with the birthday celebration.

Tom said:
Bernie,

I already corrected myself a couple of messages ago, and even posted a picture to prove I was previously in error. This is a tough crowd!

Sorry Tom, missed your correction.

Back
Top Bottom