Canadian Maritimes with Mahoney/Brewers 08

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Betty:  It was the outboard drive tire on the passenger side.  It is probably 4 years old, but it had a sidewall break that had been there for around 8,000 miles.  It was only a matter of time.  I don't remember when the damage occurred.

Betty Brewer said:
Ron,

Once you've taken the long ferry to Newfoundland, the price of any other toll is not going to bother us.

Betty

And you saved $100.00 by going the last day of June. 8)

August 29, 2008  Shediac, New Brunswick  Wishing Star Campground  Etoile  ( 506) 532-6786 Passport Park

We crossed the Confederation Bridge this morning from PEI to  New Brunswick. The bridge is  13 Kilometers or about  9 miles long.  Due to the very cloudy day, we could not see much but I noted how high over the  water we were for so long.  It is a 2 lane highway with no passing allowed.  The toll for  us  with our tow car was $55.00.  This was less than the Ferry so we saved money by crossing the bridge rather than returning by ferry whose fare would have been over $100.  It was exciting to  cross such a modern miracle of  engineering.  When I review the DVD I purchased on it?s  construction I will report back to  you with the details of it?s construction.  If you happen to come to  our home in Yuma I?m sure you will get a chance to see it.

The highlight of the day was our visit to see our  newly met Forum friends, Ed and Donna who live outside of Halifax, NS  but have a summer cottage in Shediac, NB.  Ed has been following our trip through Atlantic Canada and graciously invited us to his cottage for supper tonight.  His wife Donna  attended a funeral  today and did  personal  family errands outside of town today but still managed to have supper for 3  strangers from this RV Forum tonight.  Their gracious offer for dinner to  weary travelers was welcomed and appreciated.  So often on trips we drive by homes but never really see inside  how folks live.  Their remodeling efforts on a long time family cottage are impressive  but even more so their hospitality!  We traded stories on  our history of getting into the RV life style and  some of the history of our family ?issues.? related to old age.  I guess we should all just live each day.  My only sorrow of the evening is that despite bringing our camera, no one snapped any photos.  Too bad.  Ed is quite  nimble in the kitchen. We will take  advice given tonight of activities in the area and continue touring in the morning as the weather is forecasted to clear.

Although we had never physically met, we have had months of being RV Forum friends.  The Maritime way is to offer CFA's (come from away's) the hospitality of your house, it's just what's done here.  I must say it was an enjoyable evening hearing about the many RV trip you've taken over the years, it was enjoyable to be able to speak of other Forum friends, several of whom we've met other only met on line.  Our paths will cross again, unfortunately not this year as you will have left Florida by the time we get there.  I do hope that you can make the Fall Rally, and that Terry enjoys his rally this fall.  Russ you're the photographer, so I guess you will get blamed for not remembering to pull out a camera (someone has to wear the blame). 
    Enjoy the rest of your trip, keep up the trip reports as they are delightful.

Ed & Donna

Hi Betty,

If you like Blue Herons then you'll really enjoy Florida. We have all you want to see. There's usually one walking around the pond behind our screen room. Lots of other large birds as well. Attached is one I got at our pond.

I have a sign from the College of Piping that Terry & Liliane gave me. It's hanging on our shed. Says "Parking for Pipers Only!".

Jim

Attachments

• CRW_4732_JFR (Medium).JPG
    CRW_4732_JFR (Medium).JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 13
August 30, 2008 Hopewell Rocks, New Brunswick

Still hearty tourists we drove off this morning to see some highs and some lows at Hopewell Rocks. We arrived to purchase tickets (good for today and tomorrow) in a swarm of treacherous salt water marsh mosquitoes. Swatting and spitting I made a quick trip back to the car to get the repellant. Terry and I walked the twenty minute path through thick trees to the viewing platforms. We could see the shore below filled with water and hoo doo type structures protruding up from the water. We snapped photos and left with the plan to return at 3 pm to walk on the ocean floor at low tide.

In the mean time we drove the Bay of Fundy Coastal Drive and visited Cape Enrage. This little lighthouse was not being maintained any longer as it is now automated and was scheduled to be demolished. A group of local high school students from Moncton decided to take it on as a salvage project. It is very nicely done and affords tremendous views up and down the coast. I did think of Sue Cousins when I saw that I would have the opportunity to ride on the zip line but I elected to go to the former lighthouse keepers residence which is now a lovely restaurant and have homemade soup for lunch. Diet will start 9/1. We enjoyed the muddy rivers as we could see tides retreating. We also saw numerous blue herons again today. We explored the tiny town of Alma a bit and took photos of the boats in the water and could see the water lines from a higher tide.

When we returned to Hopewell Rocks at 3pm we took the shuttle bus ride to the rocks as we?d had enough exercise for one day. It was clear now how the name flower pots became a nick name for these rocks. The formations have a small forest of trees on top. This time the water was gone and we were able to walk over the grounds, rock and mud. Little kids were loving the muddy bottom and had a blast. I was careful as I traversed over the rocks with my camera in hand. The erosion over time makes some of the places too dangerous to go and have been roped off. We are also give VERY clear instructions on the time we must be back up the steps to avoid a quickly returning tide. The rides rise and fall the equivalent of a 4 story building. What a thrill.

Back in Shediac we took advantage of the sunny afternoon to photograph the large lobster sculpture at the entrance to town. Shediac is known as the lobster capital of the world and the figure says it all.

Attachments

• Hopewell Rocks06 (Medium).JPG
    Hopewell Rocks06 (Medium).JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Hopewell Rocks11 (Medium).JPG
    Hopewell Rocks11 (Medium).JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Hopewell Rocks12 (Medium).JPG
    Hopewell Rocks12 (Medium).JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Hopewell Rocks13 (Medium).JPG
    Hopewell Rocks13 (Medium).JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Hopewell Rocks16 (Medium).JPG
    Hopewell Rocks16 (Medium).JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Hopewell Rocks17 (Medium).JPG
    Hopewell Rocks17 (Medium).JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Shediac04 (Medium).JPG
    Shediac04 (Medium).JPG
    142 KB · Views: 30
  • Shediac05 (Medium).JPG
    Shediac05 (Medium).JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Shediac07 (Medium).JPG
    Shediac07 (Medium).JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 27
Doesn't look like that big a deal until you see the pictures with the people....wow, that's some tide ! Good job showing just what a tide that is !!

Wendy

wendycoke said:
Doesn't look like that big a deal until you see the pictures with the people....wow, that's some tide ! Good job showing just what a tide that is !!

Wendy

Wendy, you still didn't see it all.  Terry's shot of the low tide is only near halfway.  At low tide, the water is out another 100 yards from the flower pot rocks.

We've been to Fundy, but the tide pales in comparison with the 40 feet tide at our home. See here.

It sure is Jim, and we found Fundy to be awesome, just not as awesome as ....  ;D

Tom,

We've never seen either one but hope, someday, to get to Fundy. It's not that far from where we used to live!!! ;D

Tom

>The Guinness Book of World Records states the world's highest tides to be in the Minas Basin, NS, with the maximum tidal range recorded at 16.8 meters (54.6 ft).  Parrsboro, the largest Seaport on the Minas Basin, affords the best view of this tidal phenomenon. At this point the tide floods and ebbs over 3.2 kilometers (2 mi.) of tidal flat from the low watery mark to the head of the harbor. Each phase of the cycle takes approximately 5hrs\40 min. which results in each succeeding high or low water mark range an average 14m. (45.5 ft.) while the harbor heights are about 7.5 m (24 ft.). For more details see the websites http://museum.gov.ns.ca/fossils/protect/tides.htm and http://www.valleyweb.com/fundytides/.

Anchorage Alaska boasts the world's second highest tides: varying over 40 feet, low to high tide! Bore tide (one of the three highest in the world, and a weird phenomenon: capillary action on a gigantic scale!) occurs 2 hours 15 minutes after low tide; best viewed between Mileposts 101 and 90 Seward Highway (26 to 37 miles from Anchorage).  For details see the website http://www.co-ops.nos.noaa.gov/about2.html <<

Amazing what one can find on Google.

"Severn Estuary .... The estuary has one of the highest tidal ranges in the world ? about 15 metres (49 ft).[1][2] During the highest tides, the rising water is funnelled up the estuary into the Severn bore, a self-reinforcing solitary wave that travels rapidly upstream against the river current.[3]. The estuary's funnel shape, its tidal range, and the underlying geology of rock, gravel and sand, produce strong tidal streams and high turbidity, giving the water a notably brown coloration."

Click here for more.

Also ...

"The Severn Bore is one of Britain's few truly spectacular natural phenomena. It is a large surge wave that can be seen in the estuary of the River Severn, where the tidal range is the 2nd highest in the world, being as much as 50 feet (approx. 15.4m)."

Click here for more.

Tom,

There is a similar occurence in New Brunswick, Canada, on the St. John River. 

The St. John River flows into the Bay of Fundy at the town of St. John in New Brunswick, Canada, and is known for its Reversing Falls Rapids which occur when the river reverses its flow twice a day.  The Reversing Falls Rapids are caused by the extremely high tides of the Bay of Fundy and must be seen on the flood tide. 

Click here for more information.  The photos in this link do not due the phenomenon justice.

Steve

Thanks Steve. Bottom line is that you cannot underestimate the power of nature

Luca1369 said:
    There is a similar occurence in New Brunswick, Canada, on the St. John River. 

The St. John River flows into the Bay of Fundy at the town of St. John in New Brunswick, Canada, and is known for its Reversing Falls Rapids which occur when the river reverses its flow twice a day.  The Reversing Falls Rapids are caused by the extremely high tides of the Bay of Fundy and must be seen on the flood tide.     

Steve,

Oh goody goody.  In a few days we get to go on a boat trip on that river and experience the tides up close and personal .  Will let you know how it turns out.
Betty

Have a safe boat trip Betty. When we used to cross the tidal bore on the Severn Estuary by ferry (before they built the first bridge), I used to be really scared. OTOH I was only a kid at that time. But, having crossed the two bridges numerous times and looked down, I've told myself that I wouldn't want to skipper a boat in that estuary when the tide is running.

I think in sympathy with the Cajuns in Louisiana the Terry, Betty aJnd Russ brought us torrential rain today.  I know they're talking about going on the jet boat in Saint John (a herringchoker, ie New Brunswicker, never abbreviates Saint John), but since they're parked right on Shediac Bay at the mouth of  the Scouduc River, I'm concerned they might need a boat to rescue them.  Donna and I are on higher ground, at least 3 or 4 feet higher, so we're ok.  ;D

Well Ed, you can tell I'm not a herringchoker, I've been accused of being a lot of things in my life, but never a herringchoker.

I have a friend who used to sail to the NE sections of Canada every summer, then return to the Bahamas the following winter, bringing us many tins of tasty kippers.

Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom