Canadian Maritimes with Mahoney/Brewers 08

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Betty

The bad news:  I filled my car with diesel yesterday, ?1.30 a liter = $9.59 a US gallon.

The good news: we fly into Vancouver on Wednesday, John Maguire will have prepositioned our motorhome there, I'm looking forward to filling up with (comparitively) cheap diesel!!!  We're spending three months in BC, then head south thru Glacier NP, Yellowstone, Sedona etc and be back in Happy Trails early October.

Terry and Liliane, at home in UK

Terry & Liliane,

If you go to Glacier NP you might consider the Remington Carriage Museum across the border at Cardston, Alberta.  It is arguably the best carriage museum in the US.  It's a "world class" museum where you will see carriages you never even knew existed.  Here's the web site.

http://www.remingtoncarriagemuseum.com/

JerryF

Hi Betty, I don't know how far you've gotten, but Donna and I are heading in the opposite direction in our toad.  Since we have been just sauntering, and if you don't mind quiet 2 lane roads, I would recommend Hwy 138 from Montreal to Quebec City and Hwy 132 from Quebec City until you decide to turn South into New Brunswick.  They are delightfull country roads that add a little time, but no distance, and give you a good feeling for the agrarian roots of Quebec, with it's long narrow fields, stone fences, lush green crops that are just sprouting.  All in all it was a nice trip, as we usually get in, set the cruise and beat it like hell to get to the kids.

Ed

Ed,

Thank you for the recomended roads.  We are still in Quebec City.  We did the City tour by bus this morning and will do our own explorations tomorrow of the surrounding areas in our toad with tour books in hand.

When we leave Quebec City we are headed for  Gaspe.  We  also like the less traveled roads.  We've hit rain daily in our travels but it hasn't put a damper on our good time.  Quebec is indeed green, lush and rich in history. 

Betty

Thanks Jerry, we will certainly visit that museum - we're staying with friends in Cranbrook, Alberta at the end of August and will go to the museum from there. 

Terry (at home in UK for 4 more days)

Nathan said:
Betty

The bad news:  I filled my car with diesel yesterday, ?1.30 a liter = $9.59 a US gallon.

The good news: we fly into Vancouver on Wednesday, John Maguire will have prepositioned our motorhome there, I'm looking forward to filling up with (comparitively) cheap diesel!!!   We're spending three months in BC, then head south thru Glacier NP, Yellowstone, Sedona etc and be back in Happy Trails early October.

Terry and Liliane, at home in UK

Sure hope you guys will stop by Sam's Camp while in the MT area.

If you are still in Quebec and like chocolate and ice cream take a 30 min drive or take the ferry and go to Les Chocolats Favoris in Levis, Quebec.  Get a chocolate dipped ice cream cone and it will be a memory for life.  My wife and I did this last year and it was one of the trip highlights.  I know that seems a bit odd that chocolate or ice cream could be such a memory but until you have eaten one you will never know or have the memory.  Trust me on this.

Bill T

June 20 and 21, 2008 . Quebec City and Countryside,   Aeroport Camping Park

We have just had the longest day of the year by whichever summer solstice day you choose to follow.  We are in Quebec City, Qu?bec, Canada  and the darkness happens about 9:30 pm our time.  The past two days have had me frustrated by the exclusive use of French  language.  While I studied French for 4 years in high school ( from  1962 to -1966 ) I  have forgotten a bunch. Road signs are not in English nor are any of the  public tourist sights translated into English.  Despite the fact that we are still in Canada we have not seen many Canadian flags flying, but we have seen the beautiful  blue and white fleur de lis flag of Quebec flying all over. Still   I feel like we are  someplace in France and not in Canada. Quebec is like a little country inside of  Canada.   That said,?. I am loving this visit.

Yesterday we took the ?city bus  tour?  that was recommended  by our campground host who has been more than friendly to us. He even had the guys  drop gravel at our site as the rains flooded  and muddied the entrance to our rig.   The tour bus picked up Terry , Russ and me in front of our campground yesterday morning for a tour of the city.  It was bilingual.  Again I was frustrated thinking I should have understood the French part of the trip .  I didn?t.  I did appreciate the English portion of the tour .  This is an old city.  It is considered the first  French city in North America .  Quebec City  is  celebrating the  400 year anniversary of  it?s existence.  Signs and  decorations all over  town say 1608 to 2008.   There are special events scheduled to occur through this weekend.  At one  locale 250,000 people are expected  attend the event.   Sorry but we are out of here . Since we are not French Canadian, we  cannot relate to the Quebec pride in their heritage, but we still appreciate  the landscape and the city.  Besides we don't like big crowds!

The old City of Quebec reminds me of my visit to  Europe long ago in 1970.  The old world architecture  is exquisite and  very European.  Despite the fact that this land is called Nouvelle-France, we found the homes and farms on the outskirts  to have a Dutch influence.    We saw the walled city and listened to the  history of the  city from within and outside.   Once again I wish  I had paid more attention to my history classes in school.  No matter what details I report to you, I shall recommend a trip to Quebec City, Quebec,  Canada.  You can figure it out for yourself.

On our second day of touring (and  in our  own) car with tour maps in hand, we traveled  105 miles.  We visited Parc de la Chute-Montmorency and were enthralled with the  waterfalls that are 1.5 times the drop of Niagara Falls.  We trekked out across the falls on  a suspension bridge and while loved the views,   I  became frustrated by the  numerous ?foreign tourists? who did not? keep right.? We still prefer those  tourist spots with no visitors!   We stopped at Chez Marie to get a sample of fresh bread with fresh maple  syrup. Yum I bought some. 

Our next stop was the Sainte-Anne-De-Beaupre Shrine, celebrating it?s  350 year anniversary.  It stand  huge in the landscape as a big building everyone can see from everywhere!   There is a religious conference in town and the  church was filled with  visitors.  We snapped a few photos and went on our way to have  lunch at  St  Herbert?s.   

We followed the ?tourists things to do?  and came  upon an art Gallery. We met the woman whose husband is the artist and came from  Italy  when  he was  19 to work on the ceiling of the  Shrine of St-Anne-de-Beaupre ceiling.  He is an artist who specializes in Mosaics.  We saw that ceiling and it is indescribable.  If I was made of money I would have purchased one of his mosaics!

We visited the Albert Gilles Copper and Art Museum and  I purchased a pair of copper earrings.  They made the Copper doors we saw at the Shrine!  We  asked  Hilda (our GPS) to take us home and we headed back to the Aeroport Camping Ground.  It is filled up.  We are content at home in our rig.  Photos to follow

We have a day off from touring things tomorrow  as the guys watch their auto  races.  I may take a tour on my own.

Betty

Betty, I don't think I mentioned the Irish Immigration Museum in Grosse Isles about a half hour drive, and a boat ride from Quebec.  It opened when the Irish famine was at it's peak, and most other port refused to accept immigrants.  So whether they were coming to Canada or the States, they landed in Grosse Isle, were quarantened, then moved on.  So, if you have any Irish in you, you might want to consider a side trip.  We've never taken the time, they say it takes the best part of the day to see it all.  I've no Irish in me and Donna's are pre famine and landed in Nova Scotia.

Betty,

Here's a good RV Park for you.  Pippy Park in St. John's NF which also happens to have the best RV park in the area.  This huge park is owned and operated by the city.  It's a great place to use as a base to see both the city and many nearby attractions.  We loved St. John's which has lots of things to see and good hiking.  In fact, we happened to arrive on Canada Day (like our 4th of July) and while hiking on Signal Hill almost ended up in the middle of the canons firing during the Tatoo.  Someone in a red British uniform came running out to steer us in another direction.  We hadn't planned on watching the Tatoo but ended up seeing it from an advantageous viewpoint in spite of ourselves. 

We drove up to the golf course just to see it (we're not golfers).  It looked very nice with 18 holes and great views.  Notice I said "up" earlier.  That's because it's on one of St. John's many hills.  While you're at Pippy Park, don't miss the world's only "Fluvarium" which is underwater viewing (behind glass windows) of a natural river.  Also, The Rooms is their wonderful new museum, so named for the "rooms" used by the cod fishermen.

Hope all of you have a great time visiting that corner of the world!

ArdraF

Photos from Quebec City and Surrounding Countryside
June 21 and 22, 2008

And I added one more this afternoon as it rained all day and I had time to review photos.

BB

Attachments

• Quebec City05 (Small).JPG
    Quebec City05 (Small).JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Quebec City19 (Small).JPG
    Quebec City19 (Small).JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Quebec City29 (Small).JPG
    Quebec City29 (Small).JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Quebec City34 (Small).JPG
    Quebec City34 (Small).JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Quebec City51 (Small).JPG
    Quebec City51 (Small).JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Quebec City54 (Small).JPG
    Quebec City54 (Small).JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Saint-Anne Beaupre04 (Small).JPG
    Saint-Anne Beaupre04 (Small).JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Saint-Anne Beaupre06 (Small).JPG
    Saint-Anne Beaupre06 (Small).JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Montmorency Falls09 (Small).JPG
    Montmorency Falls09 (Small).JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 72
Thanks Betty. Your photos bring back memories of our visit to Quebec City.

Betty,

If the weather is good enough and you go out the Gaspe, take the northern road east and you'll come to the Indian Head Campground, named for a nearby rock that looks like - an Indian's head.  It's between Perc? and the Town of Gasp?  The fellow who owns it is an American and he will tell you where to visit that has people who will help you in English.  Very nice guy.  (He may remember us from 2006 because Jerry gave him a photo of our RV in a site to possibly use in a brochure.)  If it's foggy, don't even waste your time going out the peninsula because you won't see anything of their beautiful scenery.  It took our third try before we toured the Gaspe.  The first two times just weren't worth even trying because the visibility was so poor.  By the way, driving east on that northern road is better because Betty (The Passenger) will be on the inside edge and won't have to deal with dropoffs.  The road is kept as clear as they can in winter and I kept thinking of the truckers driving it in winter.  The road is good but goes up and down a lot.  The little villages along the way are delightful with neat churches and very colorful houses.  Before the road was built access to the fishing villages was only by boat which explains why all the villages are at sea level.

I just remembered a village along the St. Lawrence.  I can't recall its name (may be near Tres Pistoles) but at low tide the bay is full of sculptures.  An odd assortment, but interesting too.

ArdraF

Ardra,
I have been reviewing your 2006 Newfoundland log in the Forum library daily to comb the details before we get to the place so I won't miss a thing.  The detail is helpful.  I'm reminded  again if the valuable resources in  our Forum library.

Betty

OOOPS!  Spanish gets in the way sometimes.  :eek:  I never did take French and neither did my keyboard!

ArdraF

June 22 and June 23, 2008   Matane, Quebec (on the Gasp?sie Peninsula)   Camping Par Sirois (418) 562-2241)

From this report forward I will indicate the  RV campground we are staying at in the first line along with a phone number.  Those following after us will have an easier time to find a suitable  RV Park , and with clear  southern sky, if your path follows ours. 

We attempted to depart Quebec city at 8 am sharp but it was so foggy that the drivers mutually agreed to leave at 9.  Russ went for coffee.  I did internet tasks for my responsibilities with an ailing aunt. 

It is a sad feeling to leave a city which you do not feel you have fully explored but it makes for a great list of things to do if you return.  I got up my confidence this morning and used my French  to thank the Campground Hosts at Camping Aeroport.  They brightened up and told me my accent was very good and that many  people need years of practice to develop my accent.  My French teacher 30 years ago told me  ?parlez dans le nes? and ? Pense en francais.?  (I think the spelling is close.)  It means speak in your nose and think in French.  Remember all the times in Mexico where I complained that I did not take Spanish in High School?  Well now I am happy to have some vocabulary to use here in Quebec.  If I were here and immersed in French all the time it would come back to me quickly.  I do feel like a foreign traveler however as I can?t tell Proper nouns from regular vocabulary words but Terry and I are getting very good at using context clues for vocabulary translations.  We know when to buckle up our seatbelts to save our lives, we know when the left lane ends, we know when to stop at this line.

The highway 132  toward Gasp?sie was lovely and breath takingly picturesque.  We  came out of a green tunnel and voila, the view  below our hilltop  was a lovely seaside village. Each little village greets us with their  silver colored church steeple.  The St Lawrence  River has become the St Lawrence Seaway  and looks  more  like an ocean at this  vantage point. For the geographically challenged about this area (as I was a week ago) , the Gaspe Peninsula is  a thumb of Quebec due north and east of Maine.   Our travels will be along waterways for a while. 

Today we had a treat in our  200 plus mile drive.  We stopped in Metis-sur-Mer to tour Les Jardins de Metis.  Also known as the Reford Gardens.  Fifty years ago Elsie Reford planted a dream garden with  thousands of flowers.  Most acclaimed are the Himalayan  Blue Poppies which are very difficult to grow . I wish I could send you the smell of the lilacs in bloom that permeated the air. Jut think of your grandma? The climate here is conducive to  plants and  represent 14 gardens from all regions of the world .  The  Festival specializes in a contemporary art form of art, architecture and plants and  was very ?interesting. ?  I?m not sure I ?got? the exhibits but I enjoyed the thought provoking  illustrations.  My favorite was hundreds of potatoes hooked up to wires that created enough electricity to light  small lights.  Terry said he did it in elementary school.  I did not recall that use of potatoes.

We tried a couple of RV parks that we did not  like and  found this one in the Quebec Camping guide.  It is very satellite friendly but the guys have trouble with the signal in our yet another  rainfall this evening.  We made plans for our drive around the Gaspe  Peninsula tomorrow to the  town on Perce.  We commented today on how fortunate we feel to have this travel experience.  Our life is good.

Attachments

• Reford Gardens07 (Small).JPG
    Reford Gardens07 (Small).JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Reford Gardens09 (Small).JPG
    Reford Gardens09 (Small).JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Reford Gardens21 (Small).JPG
    Reford Gardens21 (Small).JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 53
Betty as many have seen me post or heard me say, there are only 2 seasons in Atlantic Canada, and while the Gaspe is not officially considered Atlantic Canada, it is geographically, they are "WINTER AND FOG", so be prepared for what you saw in Quebec City.  From here on, you are entering God's country with some of the nicest scenery and people on this earth.  Donna and I won't be back in Parlee Beach until around July 7th, if we're back we will need to get together and show you some of  what we are so proud of.

Ed

Hfx_Cdn said:
I don't think I mentioned the Irish Immigration Museum in Grosse Isles about a half hour drive, and a boat ride from Quebec.  It opened when the Irish famine was at it's peak, and most other port refused to accept immigrants.  So whether they were coming to Canada or the States, they landed in Grosse Isle, were quarantened, then moved on.  So, if you have any Irish in you, you might want to consider a side trip. 

Ed, We saw the exit as we passed.  I have LOTS of Irish heritage but just not enough time this trip to see it all.  When we passed the exit we both exclaimed, hey this is what we were told about!  We felt the sameway when we missed the town of Levi and the ice cream dipped in chocolate.  You guys are making it hard to  "see it all."  But thanks for the suggestions.  I know why Russ is leading us on his second  trip here and  still making list of things to see.

Betty

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom