EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Canadian Maritimes with Mahoney/Brewers 08  (Read 186046 times)

Marc L

• ---
Re: Canadian Maritimes with Mahoney/Brewers 08
« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2008, 07:58:36 PM »
Hi Betty,

My friends are currently camped in a field along the water in Indian Island.  If I was not on call this weekend, that is where I would be as well.  I am glad you mentioned the bridges.  I will likely go there this summer and I have to check if I clear 3.8m or not.

Marc...
Marc...

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2008, 08:10:54 PM »
My friends are currently camped in a field along the water in Indian Island.  If I was not on call this weekend, that is where I would be as well.  I am glad you mentioned the bridges.  I will likely go there this summer and I have to check if I clear 3.8m or not.

Marc,
If I can save one RVer from the course corretion,  it will have been worth it!  It is a beautiful place.

Betty
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2008, 09:03:48 PM »
I split and moved the discussion on language and cultural differences so we don't continue to dilute Betty's excellent trip report.

Apologies Betty, I'm as guilty as anyone else of hijacking the discussion.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 09:07:04 PM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Dave R

• ---
« Reply #93 on: June 29, 2008, 07:30:48 AM »
Depending on what time you arrive at the ferry I thinik you should be able to stay at the terminal. Especially if you
arrive kind of late in the evening. Spend a little time in Baddeck and have dinner in St. Anns and that should put you
at the terminal about right.

There is a nice rv park at Doyles, between Port Aux Basque and Corner Brook. Sorry the name of it escapes me at
the moment even though we have stayed there many times

If you plan on staying at Pippy Park in St. Johns you will need to make reservations there as soon as you have an idea
of when you will be there. It stays full in the summer time.

There is a great park in Windsor/Grand Falls NL called Sanger Memorial Park. The story is that there was an American that
had some relatives that lived in that area and there was never a good campground or decent place to park his RV, so
when he passed away he left the town some money to bulid a campground. He must have left them some directions
also, because it is a nice place.

In Gander NL we always stay at the Village Motel and Campground. No near as nice as Sanger Park, but not bad. Many of
the caravans stay there.

In Argentia NL there is nothing there except the ferry terminal. It used to be a US Navy base and I was stationed there for
two and a half years back in the 60's. There was plans to put a campground there where the old base housiing was, but I
don't know if it was ever built. When the Airstreamers come they stay in the school yard in Placdentia.
I would not take the motorhome to the bird sanctuary at Cape St. Marys. They cape shore road is very hilly, crooked and narrow.
The road out to the bird sactuary is one lane with extreamly DEEP ditches on either side. In the summer the probablity of fog
(pea soup) at the bird sanctuary is very high.

There is a wildlife park in Salmonier Line if you are into wildlife. You can go whale watching from St. Johns, or perhaps a little
cheaper from Witless Bay.

Have a safe trip. We will be in Placentia from 7/26 until............when ever we decide to leave. I think our return ferry reservations
are for 8/28. We come and go through Port Aux Basque so we can visit relatives along the way.

Dave

Dave & Jeanette  NC
2009 Hitchhiker Fifth wheel Triple slide
2013 Chev Duramax

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #94 on: June 29, 2008, 09:29:13 AM »
Betty:

When you get to St Johns I'll be waiting for a MotoSat check. I checked the footprint for SatMex 5 and it still shows a good signal strength on the east end of NL.

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #95 on: June 29, 2008, 11:52:11 AM »
Unfortunately, we're away in Ottawa keeping grandkids, so we didn't get the chance to see the Breweres on their way over, but Dave we should be around when you lift achor and sail for the mainland, and may even be around on their return trip.  The cottage is in Shediac, only a half hour from the Fixed Link to PEI.
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #96 on: June 29, 2008, 04:26:26 PM »
we have crossed into another time zone

And when you get off the ferry in Argentia you'll be on Newfoundland Time which is one-half hour earlier than Atalantic Time.  So, you'll be four and one-half hours earlier than us on the west coast.   It'll drive you nuts getting satellite TV - until you can't get reception - and then you won't have to worry about it.  ;)

Isn't it funny that those of us who have been driving these big RVs for many years still need an occasional reminder that sightseeing is not always feasible in one.  ;)

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #97 on: June 29, 2008, 06:47:45 PM »
June 29, 2008  North Sydney, Nova Scotia      Large  Dirt lot up hill from Zellers Market.

We headed across Nova Scotia toward North Sydney in a driving mode to  make time and did not try any of the scenic drives.  YET this Province looks just like I had it pictured.  Everything is green and the wild lupine of purple,  lavender and pink paint the sides of the road with a spectacular array of color.  Lots of little wildflowers are in bloom along the highway.  There are lots of coves, rivers and things to do upon our return in a month.

Once again we were reminded that we share the road with the wildlife.  We came upon an accident where a motorcycle had hit a deer.  A white sheet lay  spread out along side the road and I feared the worst.  But as we passed I could see 4  deer legs sticking out from under the sheet and we heard from Russ who was  25 minutes ahead of us, that he had seen the motorcyclist  elevating his knee and ambulances on their way.   Itís bad enough to hit a deer while driving in a car, but on a motorcycleÖÖ.( you guys be careful out there)

The day became more and more gloomy and overcast and as we pulled into the Ferry terminal .  Once in the toll lanes we learned that  there were 2 ferries ahead of us and that we could not stay in their lot overnight.  He opened a gate and we squeaked out of that lot in search of a mall we had been told about  .  It is now pouring rain but we happened onto a very large vacant lot across from the Zellers Market .  The wind is blowing very hard and we have a scattered signal that comes and goes.  The locals tell us it was 90 degrees last week.  It never got over 52 today.

The Ferry we are about to board in the morning will take us 266 miles and will take 14 hours.  I hope to get to read  my book , Pillars of the Earth so I can return it to Lorna in November.  With this wind Iíll also wish for calm seas in the morning! 
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #98 on: June 29, 2008, 09:57:39 PM »
I hope to get to read  my book , Pillars of the Earth so I can return it to Lorna in November.  With this wind Iíll also wish for calm seas in the morning! 

I stopped reading last night at page 486.  Checked this morning and find I'm exactly half way through the book.  What a fascinating story!  We're in the process of moving right now and I'm eager to get back to "leisure retirement time" so I can read more.  However, it seems "leisure retirement time" becomes more of an oxymoronic phrase with each passing year of retirement.  :D

Margi

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #99 on: July 01, 2008, 02:20:03 PM »

June 30, 2008  Aboard the  (long 14 hour) Ferry from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland

Iím composing this log on board the Marine Atlantic  Ferry from North Sydney , Nova Scotia to Argentia, Newfoundland.  We had a 7:30 am sailing and  arrived at the dock by 6 am.  After providing our reservation  number, we paid our toll by credit card at the small toll booth.  The  fare was $ 775.61 for two adults (non senior) and 60 feet of space for our motor home and car.  This does not include our ferry ride back on July  31.  It was a very efficient boarding, drive on and we will drive off.  No need to unhook the car.  There were several RVís in line , lots of travel trailers and even more pop up trailers with bicycles attached.  We gathered up the  stuff we need to take up top to the passenger lounges, you know apples, granola bars ,cell phone, chargers, computer, blankets, pillows, coats, hats jackets.  This is after all a 14 hour voyage and  we need our stuff!   The guys had breakfast while I  got my sea legs and visited the gift shop. 

I had heard from Bernie about the  possibility of a wi-fi hot spot and asked the purser but it seems their satellite broke yesterday so no signal..  But as long as my batteries last I will share my story with you and find a signal later to send out messages.   I noted ďThe Bucket ListĒ is being shown  at the Movie theatre on board at 9 pm Newfoundland time.  Itís a movie that is on my must see list but I calculated that we could not finish the movie as we were to arrive in port by 9:30.  To my surprise I learned we should have been notified  that due to engine trouble we are not expected to arrive before  midnight which makes this a 17.5 hour ride.  Oh boy.  Terry just learned that at 2 pm today we have a vehicle visitation time and we can go get things from motor home.  Iíll get my pillow and a blanket as well as my seasick medication!   We settled into comphy airline type lounge seats in the front row which were just fine until they put on a cartoon movie on the TV  in front of us and the place filled with Children.  We moved over to a lovely  window dinette seating area away from the kids and with a table here for my lap top.  It has good light for reading my book.

OK so this boring ride in pea soup fog and  high waves is not as much fun as it was a few hours ago.   Weíve heard the bad news that we are operating with one less engine,( whether the rumor is that is its to conserve fuel or not, ) we do not know.  The ETA has been pushed back to 1:45 am.   Well finally at 1:45 am  we hear the announcement to got to our vehicles.  We  unloaded that Ferry is record time. No one hesitated, just fired up engines and drove off. 
Yes but to where?  We left the bowels of this gigantic vessel to enter the complete darkened wetness of night.  We had no vision.  We never drive at night and here we were headed down an unlined road, wet  somewhat foggy road.  We lost sight of the cars  in front of us so we were the lead vehicle going about 30 miles and hour trying to get a fix on anything to our right or left. Russell comes on CB to announces that we should pull over at first chance to let the mile line up of cars behind us go by.  Yes we are trying!!!! In a few minutes and several harrowing miles, we found a  pull off at a scenic look out.  There was one little car with a cargo trailer in it but we pulled off and told Russ to follow us in very close by our side.  We are  parked for the night!  Whew.  Note to others coming this way.  It might be better to board a ferry that arrives in daylight hours.  But then with the unannounced delay of 4.5 hours, your best laid plans could go astray.  One must remain flexible.   We awaken to a beautiful view but Iíll save that story for tomorrow.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 08:52:23 PM by Betty Brewer »
Betty Brewer

see where we are

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2008, 05:43:46 PM »
Betty, take heart.  That's exactly the same situation we enountered getting off one ferry and eventually parking in front of a church.  It was rainy and we were looking for a gas station we had been told about, but the lights had been turned off and we couldn't see it as we passed it and I couldn't turn around and had a huge line of cars behind us.  Thankfully the GPS showed us which side roads were dead ends and which ones we could use to "go around the block" only it was many miles.  The lights on that little Presbyterian Church were never so welcome!   A true beacon in the night.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2008, 06:31:22 PM »
July 1, 2008  Canada Day  St. Johns, Newfoundland, CA   Pippy Park  (709)737-3655   Loop 4 (only one that works)

When I awakened this morning I wanted to open the blinds right away and see the spot we had chosen in the wee dark  hours of the night.  While it was a bit foggy we could see that we were high above a cove and the viewpoint was entitled  Seven Island Lookout because there were 7 lovely rocky little islands in this bay.  We got underway and headed for Pippy Park in St Johnís , the  capitol of Newfoundland which was only 78 miles from our overnight near the ferry.   We had an easy check-in and paid for 7 nights.  I had done all reservations in advance by phone and this speeds up the process.  Unfortunately we were given sites deep within the trees and with such narrow roads we could in NO way make it into the site.  Terry wanted me to go get our money back and we were leaving!  But Russ in the meantime had scouted  another section of the park and we moved to  Loop 4 which is a lovely open area with all pull through spaces and no trees, rocks  or obstructions.  They also said they had wi-fi up here.  The price is $39 a night but we wanted no part of those tree lined family camp sights with  lots of children on bicycles, tricycles and big wheels scaring us  on the road so we bit the bullet and paid the price.

Our first stop was downtown area to the Visitor Center.  Everything is very crowded with Canada Day festivities.  We learned first hand about their crazy intersections, one way streets and limited parking.  I noted  multicolored buildings,  an active harbor and the Signal Hill which will all be explored in the coming days.   

Late in the evening the sun came out and we noted that if itís sunny tomorrow we will take a drive around the Irish Loop and the Cape Shore to take advantage of a non rainy day.(we hope)   
We can only get local news stations, having lost our TV satellite.  The news of the evening  featured  the celebrations across all of the Provinces of Canada that began first at sunrise in St Johnís as it catches the first light of day on Canada.  In fact we are now Ĺ hour earlier than Atlantic Time.  So if it is noon here in Newfoundland, my friends in California and Arizona will be 7:30 a.m.

The news caster shared  stores and ceremonies of the Pride  that Canadians have for their wonderful country.    He commented, ĒCanada is a decent  and tolerant country.  It has abolished Capitol punishment, recognizes same sex marriage and despite all of itís faults has universal health care for all.  Here in Newfoundland July 1 is also Memorial Day and a big tribute was paid to  fallen  Canadian soldiers in a history of wars.

The wi-fi is flakey and I'll post pictures only when I have a good signal .
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #102 on: July 01, 2008, 10:02:17 PM »
Betty:

After reading of your ferry ride I am more inclined to follow Dave's lead and use the Port Aux Basques ferry both ways. ;D

Are you on MotoSat or using the park's WIFI? Hope the weather improves for you.(And us).

mariekie

• ---
« Reply #103 on: July 01, 2008, 10:08:36 PM »
Betty,

What a fascinating report!!!!! As a side; if you have not read Annie Prouxl's "Shipping News", please do so. It is a wonderful book and it takes place on NL. Once you have explored the Province, you will be able to appreciate it so much more.

Enjoy your adventure and keep up the reports.

Mariekie

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #104 on: July 02, 2008, 06:29:21 AM »
Jeff, although we haven't taken the Coach to NL, most of the local people that we know who have exclusively use the shorter run.  While you are doubling back, there are so many side trips, that it is very easy to plan it so that you don't do the same ones coming and going.  From what they're telling at home, the weather is finally improving, so hopefully those now in NL will enjoy decent weather, and it holds for your visit.
Betty, you must plan an evening trip to George Street while in St John's, there are more bars per square foot than anywhere else in the world, each with a unique atmostphere, and everyone a fun place to visit.  They stay open until the wee hours and the music is out of this world.  And if you're lucky, you will be "screeched in".  I'll leave the details for one of your future posts, but don't spoil it for Jeff's visit.

Ed
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2008, 06:53:20 AM »

Are you on MotoSat or using the park's WIFI? Hope the weather improves for you.(And us).

Jeff,

Despite hours of fiddling Terry could not get a signal on Motosat.  We are using the Park's Wifi.  It seems to be working this morning.  The sun is out and it is 60 degrees with promises to get even warmer.  It is windy and we ae goin' touring today! Jeff,  Terry said by taking the shorter ferry it will add about 560 miles to your trip as you  backtrack over same road twice. We calculated fuel prices and figured we were  a little better off with long ferry.  Now that I'm rested it was fun!  We'll take our time and do each road once rather than repeat.

Betty

Betty Brewer

see where we are

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #106 on: July 02, 2008, 08:33:55 PM »
July 2, 2008  Irish Loop Drive South of St. Johnís  Newfoundland

Today we started our  tour of the  country side  at the reasonable hour of 10 am .  Russ filled up our tank  at $5.49 per gallon.  All fuel has to be ferried to this island so it has historically been  10 cents per gallon more .   We managed the one way and irregular streets of downtown and  made it to the loop toward our first stop, Cape Spear National Historic Site of Canada. It is the most easterly point in Canada and in all of  North America.  It is home of the oldest lighthouse in Newfoundland and Labrador.  As we rounded a curve and the hillside came into sight with the coast in the background all of us let out a gasp, as  it was that spectacular.  We stopped to photograph the crashing waves on the black cliff filled with rocks.  The water was crystal clear and had the blue of the Caribbean Sea in them.  The white foam contrasted the cliffs with stark beauty.  We walked around the sight and let the  beauty of this wonderfully clear blue day sink in!   There were hundreds of steps to the lighthouse that  met my exercise quotient for the day!  We soaked up all of the scenery we could and moved on. We marveled at the little villages along the cliffs that have  wonderful fishing harbors.

By this time we were hungry and found Gatherallís in Bay Bulls.  They offer a boat tour out to see whales and puffins.  We want to  do that trip this week ,  so we checked them out.  They had a delightful restaurant in an imposing big blue building.  We had linen table cloths, fresh lilacs, nice silverware and the best lunch.  We recommend this place highly.

On ward in our tour of the Irish Loop,  Russ  shouted,Ē Stop, stop.Ē  I thought he was having a coronary but he  had spotted a huge white iceberg in the next little bay. Terry did  a u-turn and  we made our way down a small road to view this iceberg up close and personal.  We marveled at this chunk of ice that we were later told is a regular occurrence.  Icebergs break away  each year and the only thing unusual about them would be the speed with which they melt.  It is not a sign of global warming!

In the Colony of Avalon we veered off to a side road to   explore an archeological dig of a 17th century colony .  On our way up a very  steep narrow road we  came to  a place to park.  Russ shouts ,ďWhales, whales.ď  Terry and I marched out across marshy tundra like  area and come to a cliff where off in the Atlantic we can see several whales swimming  playfully.  Not only are their spouts visible but they surface and we can see their fins and tales.  What a thrill.  I even was prepared enough to have my binoculars with me.  I could have watched all day except that we had miles to go before our loop was completed.  Much of the excitement of this day was due to the fact that we had no expectation, so every sight was a thrill.  We  passed by a good size fox in the front yard of a  village home.  We watched fog roll into a community with the wind and then in 10 minutes it was clear again. We stopped to take photos of interesting little  sights along the way like a miniature village in a stream along the road.  The  coastline is that of postcards and if this is all I ever got to see of Newfoundland it would be enough.  It was a memorable ďBucket ListĒ kind of day. 

Iíve booked us  on the City tour of St Johnís in the morning.  The double-decker bus no longer runs but the Legends Tour will pick us up from the RV Park.  This way Terry can enjoy the trip as a passenger. 

« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 08:52:54 PM by Betty Brewer »
Betty Brewer

see where we are

KodiakRV

• ---
« Reply #107 on: July 02, 2008, 08:42:14 PM »
...  Terry said by taking the shorter ferry it will add about 560 miles to your trip as you  backtrack over same road twice. We calculated fuel prices and figured we were  a little better off with long ferry.  ...

I'm not following your math.  Assuming you only get 6 mpg and that fuel is $6 per gallon -- that's $1.00 per mile or $560 for the road backtrack.  The ferry was $776.  Seems like the road route would be $216 cheaper.  You would have to only get 4.3 mpg for it to come out the same cost.  Am I missing something?
Frank
Florida

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #108 on: July 02, 2008, 09:02:35 PM »
Kodiak:

We still have the ferry costs from Port AUX Basques to Sydney which IIRC is a little over three hundred.

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #109 on: July 02, 2008, 09:17:02 PM »
I'm not following your math.  Assuming you only get 6 mpg and that fuel is $6 per gallon -- that's $1.00 per mile or $560 for the road backtrack.  The ferry was $776.  Seems like the road route would be $216 cheaper.  You would have to only get 4.3 mpg for it to come out the same cost.  Am I missing something?

Kodiak,

I don't even want to figure  the exact cost of every mile as I likely would not get out of bed!  We've made the comittment for  this trip and it will cost us a bundle but leave us with a priceless memories.  I don't do the math I just do the  journal! 

But here goes an try...We took the long Ferry $776. going and will take short ferry back, $355  for a total of $1131.  We cannot drive the nearly 600 extra miles to take the  ferry out of the same place for the difference in cost. 
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Tim & Jan

• ---
« Reply #110 on: July 02, 2008, 09:42:51 PM »
July 2, 2008  Irish Loop Drive South of St. Johnís  Newfoundland

On ward in our tour of the Irish Loop,  Russ  shouted,Ē Stop, stop.Ē  I thought he was having a coronary but he  had spotted a huge white iceberg in the next little bay. Terry did  a u-turn and  we made our way down a small road to view this iceberg up close and personal.  We marveled at this chunk of ice that we were later told is a regular occurrence.  Icebergs break away  each year and the only thing unusual about them would be the speed with which they melt.  It is not a sign of global warming!

Betty, Terry & Russ

That iceberg must have been a beauty when it left Greenland to still be a good size near St Johns this time of year. We went all the way to St. Anthony hoping to see an iceberg on our trip, but saw nothing. We are so jealous, but happy for you. Hope the rest of the trip goes as well. Enjoying your reports, keep on logging.

Jan & Tim
Tim & Jan Lynch

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #111 on: July 02, 2008, 10:32:33 PM »
  I don't do the math I just do the  journal! 

And you do it beautifully.  :D   Keep on journaling ... we're right there with you all the way.   :D

Margi

vlady daddy

• ---
« Reply #112 on: July 03, 2008, 12:14:12 AM »
KodiakRV,

As Jeff mention, you have to subtract $355 from $776 on the in-bound ferry ride to compare both routes. At this point, Betty spent $421 more on the ferry. But using the other route, you have to add another $560 to the round trip. You have to average 8 mpg at $6 per gallon on the round trip to break even.
Vlad

rhmahoney

• ---
« Reply #113 on: July 03, 2008, 06:12:37 AM »
7/2 At last, a day of sun and 75 F. We did the Irish loop drive of near 200 miles S from St Johns. Filled the car with gas...$73!

First stop, Cape Spear, the easternmost point of North America. As we rounded the last curve there was our first dramatically lovely scene of clear blue water, waves crashing whitely on the rocky shore, a treeless windswept hill with 2 lighthouses.

...bay. Lunch stop was a great find. A blue bldg on the left side of the port. A tour bus was just leaving as we arrived. The dining room on the upper floor had a good view and the food sublime.

As we drove downcoast there were numerous small rocky bays, each with a fishing port and village. 2 of them had resident icebergs! Another had an archeological dig of the first town on the island. Here we found a pod of 20 or more small whales feeding near shore.

The houses tend to be boxy with shallow roofs and are called biscuit houses, often brightly colored. Firewood can be harvested for personal use from provincial forests so rather large stacks are seen next to most rural homes. One memorable stack was bent around the garage as a fence. In front of that house was a river stone berm wall brightly painted. And then, next door we saw a red fox statue stationed beside a small pond...till it moved!

As we drive along, there have been several roadside displays of local craftwork: 3 ft high sailing ships in the Gaspe, 2 ft long fishing boats in New Brunswick, bird houses in Nova Scotia. On today's drive we saw one collection of a dozen 1-2 ft long boats and ships moored in a small pond by the road. 50 miles later there was a complete village along a creek. It even had washing hung out to dry! Next there was a yard filled with brightly painted driftwood figures.

At the south end of our trip we crossed a stretch of treeless tundra dotted with innumerable ponds of all sizes. Caribou can be found here. Fog and cold greeted us at the southernmost seashore. All along the way were warning signs for moose. Luckily we saw none.

7/3 8 AM After worrying and watching out for moose all day, yesterday, A full grown female comes charging down the berm in front of my coach (had to have crossed the major street-Allendale, to get here) and headed across the CG, passing right next to my coach. Terry B got a "butt" shot of her as she headed for the trees.

Green Flash seeker
Country Coach Magna
Datastorm internet satellite dish.D3.Direcway 7000 modem

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #114 on: July 03, 2008, 07:09:51 AM »
One of the things that always amazed us are the way they fence their gardens to keep the animals out, as opposed to fencing animals in.
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

chick a dee

• ---
« Reply #115 on: July 03, 2008, 09:56:31 AM »
G'morning Folks: Your journey log is absolutely WONDERFUL!!  Thank you. Thank you. My wife and I have been planning to take our MH and toad to Newfoundland for some time and your descriptions (and attendant info) have "sealed the deal".... your writing is simply GREAT and we're definitely going to spend next summer (hopefully...or the next one) out there!! We've been full-timing in our rig since late 2005 and travel with our 3 cats. Spent last summer up in beautiful Alaska and are spending this summer visiting family/relatives here in South Dakota and then up in Duluth, Minnesota before heading to winter in Florida where our son lives. We're brand new members of this RV Forum and are sure glad we stumbled onto this site. We'll be following your log closely, and...Thanks again.  Steve & Lynette

JerArdra

• ---
« Reply #116 on: July 03, 2008, 11:30:19 AM »
Betty,

You're right on with regard to the cost; don't even add it up until you're home because this trip may even exceed your Mexican and Alaskan trips in the pleasure you get from it.  As an Economist might say you'll get more UTILS from this trip than any other.    BTW, our 3-1/2 month Newfoundland trip cost us a grand total of $20,000.  Yes we spent a total of US$20,000.

We did not see any Icebergs and are glad you did.  This bodes well for St Anthony because you may see bigger ones there.

JerryF
JerryF  ;D  ;D

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #117 on: July 03, 2008, 02:00:02 PM »
Ardra,

I bet that $20,000 was not with fuel at $5-$6 a gallon either.  I think Tim has budgeted higher than that for our trip to the Maritimes next summer.  But like I mentioned before, we'll go if God's willing and the creek don't rise.  I think I should also add and if the fires don't spread..... ;D

Marsha~
2017 Heartland Mallard IDM231 Travel Trailer....Small but mighty.

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #118 on: July 03, 2008, 02:06:20 PM »
we'll go if God's willing and the creek don't rise.  I think I should also add and if the fires don't spread..... ;D

Marsha~

And if any of those things happen, you should probably go anyway !!

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

JerArdra

• ---
« Reply #119 on: July 03, 2008, 02:16:35 PM »
Marsha,

The diesel varied from US$4.00 to US$4.25 per U.S. gallon when we went there in the Summer of 2006.  If you two are into racing at all stop by for the INDY 500 on your way.  It was great and it's on the way.

JerryF
JerryF  ;D  ;D

Hosted by Over The Network