Canadian Maritimes with Mahoney/Brewers 08

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry for butting in...

Anyone in the Canada trip contemplating visiting LUNENBURG in Nova Scotia, the original home of the Bluenose Sailing vessel. Quaint little town with lots of history and a lot of photo opportunities.

I was there in the late seventies on business.

carson FL

Marsha,

What Jerry left out was that the $20,000 was spent over a five month period.  It began in mid-April at Moab, then east to WI, IN, MI, one month going across Ontario and Quebec, one month in Newfoundland and Labrador, then New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, back to the U.S. and south to SC, back up to VA, PA, and then west to OR, CA, and then NV and home in mid-September.  It was a long trip of 13,397 miles in 142 days and that mileage was only for the motorhome.  We didn't even keep track of the toad's miles but it was probably half that of the motorhome or around 7,000 miles so the total miles driven was probably about 20,000 miles.  Once you look at all the things we did and where we went in that time, the cost doesn't seem so bad.  It included fuel up to US$4.25 per U.S. gallon, admissions to numerous parks, restaurant meals, visits to family and framily, and even my 50th high school reunion.  I wouldn't trade that trip for anything!  It was wonderful - one of the best we've ever taken!

ArdraF

Betty,

That little village alongside the stream is darling!  And it looks unbelieveably like some of the real villages.  You sound like it's great so far.

ArdraF

As I've told anyone who's asked, any visit to Nova Scotia requires a trip to the South Shore.  Lunenburg is a UNESCO Heritage site, and is quite unique, Mahone Bay has a most delightfull waterfront, with 3 chuches along the Bay, and the drive down the LaHave River to Riverport, across the Ferry, with a stop at the bakery for fresh bread, and a stop at the lighthouse first established by Champlain.  These are all must sees, but can be done along with Peggy's Cove in a day's run in the Toad.

And don't forget the totally renovated citadel at Louisbourg and Grand Pre.  We were at Louisbourg right after they finished the renovation and it was very well done.  Grand Pre has a beautiful little chapel built with funds contributed by Acadians from around the world.  It has six wonderful paintings that depict how the Acadians were removed from Canada.  This entailed splitting up families.  The paintings are very moving and show their plight beautifully.  The statue of Evangeline is also there.

ArdraF

Ardra,

Our plans for next year are to start out with the Hop, Skip & Jump in Utah, then head on toward Indiana for a wedding the 30th of May; then another wedding in Canada on Manitoulin (sp?) Island the following weekend JUne 6th.  After that we will continue on east into the Maritimes and not return to Calif until Sept/Oct.  So Tim's budget may be pretty accurate.  We also do lots of eating out, sightseeing, park admissions etc.  However, we'll probably do more staying in one place to get the weekly and long term rates to help offset the fuel increase.

Re the 500.  We have dear friends in Indianapolis and always try to work in a visit with them, but with these weddings I don't think we'll be in the area during the 500; most likely right before it.

With everyone's posts about what to see and where to go in the Maritimes; it's great for those coming along later.

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
Ardra,

I think I should also add and if the fires don't spread..... ;D

Marsha~

Marsha:

If your new house burns down maybe God is telling you to full time. ::)

Hello again Newfie travelers....

Below is a fun post from some time ago, which I posted then with the greatest respect for all Newfie Moms. It is  Canadian humor.

A NEWFIE MOTHER WRITING TO HER SON

My Dear Son,

Just a few lines to let you know that I?m still alive. I am writing this letter slowly because I know that you can?t read fast. You won?t know the house when you come home-----we?ve moved.

It was a lot of trouble moving---the most difficult thing was the bed. You see the man wouldn?t let us take it in the taxi. It wouldn?t have been too bad if your father hadn?t been sleeping in it at the time.
  About your father---he has a lovely new job. He has 500 men under him. He?s cutting the grass at the Cemetery.
  Your sister got herself engaged to that fellow she?s been going out with. He gave her a beautiful ring with three stones missing.

Our neighbours, the Brown?s, started to keep pigs. We got the wind of it this morning. I got my appendix out and a dishwasher put in.
  There was a washing machine in the new house when we moved in, but it isn?t working too good. Last week I put 4 shirts into it---pulled the chain---and haven?t seen the shirts since.
  Your little brother came home from school yesterday crying. All the boys in his school have new suits. We can?t afford to buy him a new suit, but we?re going to buy him a new hat and let him look out the window.
  Your sister Mary had a baby this morning. I haven?t heard yet whether it?s a boy or a girl, so I don?t know whether you?re a Aunt or a Uncle.
  Your Uncle Dick was drowned last week in a vat of whiskey in Dublin Brewery. Four of his workmates dived in to save him but he fought them bravely off. We creamated his body and it took three days to put out the fire.

Kate is now working in a factory in Birmingham. She?s been there now for six weeks. I?m sending her some clean underwear as she?s in the same shift since she started.
  Your father didn?t have too much to drink at Christmas. I put a bottle of castor oil in his pint of beer. It kept him going till New Year?s Day. I went to the Doctor on Thursday, your father came with me. The Doctor put a small glass tube in to my mouth and told me not to open it for ten minutes. Your father offered to buy it from him.
  It only rained twice last week. First for 3 days and then for 4. Monday was so windy that one of our chickens laid the same egg four times.
  We had a letter yesterday from the undertaker. He said if the last installment wasn?t paid on your Grandmother within 7 days, up she comes.
  I must close now---because the plumber is coming here to repair the pipes and there?s a shocking smell.

YOUR LOVING MOTHER 
P.S. I was going to send you $10, but I had already sealed the envelope.

Jeff,

If the house burns down, I'll be forced to fulltime; and probably love every minute of it; cause all the stuff I wanted to keep will be gone..... :eek:

Marsha~

July 3, 2008  St John?s City Tour ,NL

This morning Russ yelled on CB before I had even had my breakfast.  I could not imagine what had him so excited at that hour.  I glanced out RV window to see the tallest moose I have ever seen prancing through our Park. Terry rushed outside for a photo but only got a butt shot.  What a thrill this early in the morning. We later learned there are over 120,000 moose on the island but no wolves, deer, skunk, porcupine.   We met our  guide , Brendan McQuillan of   Legends Tours who had a 9 passenger  mini van at the gate of our Pippy RV Park.  I highly recommend this city tour.  It is Legend Tours (709) 753-1497.  Brendon was our very Irish guide who is born and raised in Newfoundland.   He knows his city and helped make this beautiful place come alive for us.  We ventured out to Cape Spear for a repeat of yesterday?s visit but this time with narration of it?s history.  The day was a bit more overcast than yesterday so  sea did not have the  Caribbean blue color but waves were just as majestic.  We moved on to Petty Harbor to learn about cod fishing and how the fishing is just one part. The fixing fish is critical and  cod has been historically the most important reason that  Newfoundland was settled.  The Queen even required fish to be eaten twice weekly so the demand was great. It was salted and dried before refrigeration  techniques.

We toured the many colorful buildings and streets of downtown  St John?s a city  said to be handsomely historic and stylishly new.  The streets were originally planned for horse trails so they are not very wide and they are very haphazard.  Welcome to a city laid out in 1497.  It is the oldest  European community in North America that has been continuously  occupied.  There were no natives here when founded but natives can be found  on the west side of the Island.  The combined population of Labrador and Newfoundland is just under 500,000.  St John?s has about 200,000.  The major industries are oil, fishing and tourism.  There is also nickel mining.  There is very little crime. The winters last 9 months and Newfoundland has the windiest days  by velocity in all of Canada.   In fact they no longer run any trains as the wind blew them over! The former train station is now a Train Museum. They  have the same amount of sunny days as Prince Edward Island.  Did you know that St. John?s is on the same  latitude as Seattle and Paris? 

We toured Cabot Tower that is on top of Signal Hill, named because of the signal flags ships used to identify themselves  when coming into this beautiful Harbor.  We were able to see the Signal Hill Tattoo.  Military cadets,  recreated the training drills used by the British Soldiers.  The fife  and drum core had my heart pounding to the cadence and I recalled my days as a drill team captain.  Soldiers practiced daily in readiness for the type of  war waged by marching almost face to face with the enemy troops.  This drill was a treat narrated to provide historical accuracy.  Too  bad my short term memory is shot and I can?t recall all the  details to share with you.  I do recall that the Red Coats  wore bearskin hats with a big  plume that had a  golden strip with the words ?Difficult is not daunting?  as a motto. The views from atop this hill are impressive, interesting and inspiring.  One can see Fort Amherst and the harbor below and it is again another post card setting.

We had lunch at  Papas Pier 17 recommended by our guide.  Yummy Greek salads and French onion soup. 

I?ll only hope that my words about this city might bring you here to visit.  Brendon fears tourism is going to be way down this year due to fuel prices.   A caravan filled our park this afternoon with visitors from Quebec so maybe things will pick up!  As a footnote, if you read the ?Fitzgerald?s in Newfoundland? journal in the RVForum library , you will get an extensive perspective from Ardra?s writings on St John?s from July 1 to July 5.  I hope I get to see and do all that they managed.

Attachments

• Petty Cove15 (Medium).JPG
    Petty Cove15 (Medium).JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Petty Cove17 (Medium).JPG
    Petty Cove17 (Medium).JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Signal Hill  04 (Medium).JPG
    Signal Hill 04 (Medium).JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Signal Hill Tattoo08 (Medium).JPG
    Signal Hill Tattoo08 (Medium).JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Signal Hill Tattoo15 (Medium).JPG
    Signal Hill Tattoo15 (Medium).JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Signal Hill Tattoo25 (Medium).JPG
    Signal Hill Tattoo25 (Medium).JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 43
  • St. John's09 (Medium).JPG
    St. John's09 (Medium).JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 54
  • St. John's12 (Medium).JPG
    St. John's12 (Medium).JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 58
  • St. John's18 (Medium).JPG
    St. John's18 (Medium).JPG
    96 KB · Views: 56
  • St. John's20 (Medium).JPG
    St. John's20 (Medium).JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 54
Betty Brewer said:
....  I glanced out RV window to see the tallest moose I have ever seen prancing through our Park. Terry rushed outside for a photo but only got a butt shot.  ...

Sounds like Terry is getting pretty good at those.  :D

July 4, 2008  St John?s Tourist Places NL

Today is our 11th wedding anniversary.  However there will be no fireworks for us as Canadians just don?t seem to celebrate our American Independence Day the same way we do.  While it is actually  11 years of marriage we claim to have  been a couple for 24 years.  We will take a late dining reservation at  Blue on Water a downtown restaurant recommended to us by a fellow  Newfoundland traveler here in our RV Park .  She gave us this tip along with another we followed today.  Our first touristy thing of the day was a private tour at IOT.  So what is  IOT you ask? 

It is an Institute for  Ocean Technology funded by the National Research Council of Canada.  It is a Canadian Governmental operation of world class status.  Only 3 such sites operate on earth. Adam was our personal tour guide and he presented the tasks completed by this outfit with articulation , enthusiasm and had me in awe.  The IOC is a research and testing  organization for things that would go in the water like  ships, barges, oil rigs .  The guys seeking the America?s  Cup would  hire them to test the design of their  latest sailing vessels.  Scale models are built and then tested using the most scientific computer simulated instrument imaginable.  Submarines are tested here as well as ice barges.  They have huge tanks the length of 3 football fields to have scale models pass through and test the speed, design, buoyancy and what ever else they may want to test.  They can recreate an ice field  as found in oceans. Did you know ice has lots of different forms?  Ice formed  in the ocean is not salt water, as the freezing process removes the salt.  We stepped into a room that was -25 degrees where it take about 7 hours to form the level and density of ice they want to recreate on this huge indoor tank.  They  can move their model through it to see how the propeller will react the strength , speed etc. It was fascinating. A huge machine that tools the synthetic models was purchased from Romania for $800,000.  I would never have  guessed Romania had such precision instrumentation. They had a machine to make waves and emulate ocean current in  a 17 million liter  tank.  It can make wind and currents to match conditions at sea to give the old boat a good test!  I had no idea  things were tested on this scale before they were even built.  Much of the research is top secret so we had to check our cameras at the desk.  No photos of this but you should write down (709) 772-4366 for a  schedule  private tour that is best of all FREE.

After lunch we visited the Johnson Geo Centre touted as ?The earth?s Geological Showcase.?  It was the finest museum I have ever seen with regard to the formation of the earth, the Tectonic plate  explanation and it highlighted the significance of  Newfoundland as a place where history revealed itself . I am becoming so much more aware of the historical significance of this Atlantic Island.  The series of videos, small feature films, full length documentaries could have taken up a full day.  In addition they had a portion dedicated to facts regarding the loss of the Titanic that was lost only 350 miles off the coast of Newfoundland. A series of poor decisions by humans was  clearly the  cause of  a terrible  scene. I learned the Titanic had  nine transmission of eminent danger that were ignored!  Blame fell to  the Captain,  the crew, the  builders and owners of this ship for this disaster.

Outside the Geo center I saw examples of the rocks of Newfoundland in their natural state and in their polished form.  No wonder granite counters are so expensive, it took almost 400 million years to make it! 

Our mail did not arrive today so we hope it comes on Monday as there is no Saturday delivery.  If not we may have to stay another day or so.  No problem for  me.

Attachments

• 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 52
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 61
Betty & Terry,

Happy Anniversary to both of you. Ardra and I remember well that we met you two when you arrived at the Estes Park Centerpoint RV Forum rally.  As we remember it the two were married on your way to Estes Park, Colorado.  It's been a good run!

We love your EXCELLENT pictures and they remind us so much of our trip. Lucky you...seeing the Geo Center.  When we were there they had a fire inside the building the day before and were closed for an unknown amount of time.  Maybe that's an excuse to again return to St John's.

Jerry & Ardra

Happy Anniversary guys - 11 years, 24 years, either way, time flies when you're having fun ! And it sounds like you're having a lot of fun on this trip !

Keep the reports coming when you can and enjoy
Wendy

Finally got around to checking-up on your trip.  It's been hectic for me to get anything done, with recuperating from the surgery and the broken foot.  Surely, enjoyed your visit, and now you got both Cooch and I going on a trip to Newfoundland, sounds so interesting. 
I am including a photo (hope this post works out, this time...) I tried to get some good photos of the Chateau Montebello when we were boating on the Ottawa River the other day, but they did not turn out so well.  I really need to read-up on my camera instructions, we surely enjoyed your slide presentation, Terry... I am envyous!
Happy Anniversary from both of us and many more !!
Annette & Fern

Hi Terry & Betty,

Happy Anniversary!!!!

We remember very well when you were married. It was the only year we forgot our number 1 Grandson's birthday!!!! We did call him today and he is now 18! Hope you had a great day.

moreaual said:
  Surely, enjoyed your visit, and now you got both Cooch and I going on a trip to Newfoundland, sounds so interesting. 
I am including a photo (hope this post works out, this time...)
Annette,

Thank you for the well wishes and the photo.  We have such fond memories of our visit to Ottawa.  Yes yes  do come to Newfoundland.  You are so much closer to get here that we are.  It is simply awesome. We are on the routes taken by Adventure Caravans by following their brochure.  There is a Caravan here in our park with labels FQCC on them .  Have you heard of that outfit? Most of their license plates are Quebec. Hope your surgery heals up quickly and the  foot too.

Betty

July 5, 2008 St John?s NL Shopping Day,  Rooms Museum

Russ and I  took off on a shopping spree mid day. He had heard (from the barista at a coffee shop)  the name of two jewelry stores where he was on a mission  to buy presents.  I went with him while Terry fixed our high definition TV thingy.  We managed to find the spots nicely .  Russ? mission was accomplished and I  managed to get myself an anniversary present of a lovely coral  pendant and matching earrings. I managed a photo of Rosalie Row where we made our  purchases.

We drove past the location of  ?Mile One? of the Trans Canadian Highway. It was at the  base of City hall and a tourist photo opportunity at best but we did see how many kilometers it is to Halifax and to  the North Pole.   Phoenix was not listed in their destinations.    From there Russ and I visited the Rooms Museum which is only 3 years old .  It is a 50 million dollar investment made from local provincial  funds.  It is built on the site of a former fort and when we entered we could easily see that the vantage point here would inform you of incoming  ships, friendly or foe.  The Museum sits imposingly  above the waterfront and it?s shape was described to us today.  It  is 3 rooms.  One houses an Art Gallery, another the National Archives and a third a Museum. All are joined under the same roof.  It is called the Rooms as that was the  place fisherman referred to when they brought in their catch and said they would be at the  room to ?fix? the fish. The Museum is a wonder.  I was struck with many of the exhibits.  One was a collection of  building models  with animation and video  built  into it.  The Church with a bowling alley in it?s basement was my favorite. Photos were not allowed.  For fellow travelers coming this way?..go there!  I took photos out off  the small deck to get  city and harbor shots.

Despite the rain showers of the morning the day turned sunny and beautiful.  Weather is something one cannot predict. This afternoon,  I took a nice long walk trying to  reduce the calories from last nights anniversary dinner at   Blue on Water, a pricey but fantastic meal.  The place reminded me of a restaurant one would find in San Francisco, trendy  and special!   My navigators planned our upcoming trips if our mail comes on Monday!

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 45
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 040.JPG
    040.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 046.JPG
    046.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 58
Betty,

Your picture of the houses was taken one block further down the hill from where we took our picture of the houses (see attached photo).  We both just loved those brightly colored houses.

It also appears that the "Where Canada Begins" sign has changed to the much nicer Mile 0 sign that Russ is standing next to (see attached photo).  The sign in the photo is the one that both the Nathans and Ardra & I photographed.

JerryF

Attachments

• NF Houses.JPG
    NF Houses.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 45
  • CanadaBegins.JPG
    CanadaBegins.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 51

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members