Canadian Maritimes with Mahoney/Brewers 08

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a lobster for lunch at Gatheralls today and I'm still drooling!

Are you guys eating anything but lobster up there? As a non-lobster-eater, what's the next best thing to eat when (if?) we get that way?

Wendy

wendycoke said:
Are you guys eating anything but lobster up there? As a non-lobster-eater, what's the next best thing to eat when (if?) we get that way?

Wendy

Absolutely! If they don't have lobster we have to settle for fresh scallops, mussels, or cod. When we get back to Maine add clams.

wendycoke said:
Wendy,
Until I discovered the relative inexpensive  "cook your own lobster", I would order onion soup and shrimp or cod or chicken which are all options on a menu.  One could also have salads and grilled cheese sandwiches if you want to go vegetarian the whole way. We did not find the  restaurant food in Newfoundland to be worth the money. It was expensive and not to our liking.  So I opted  to cook many meals in the motorhome.  That being said I still managed to gain weight!

Betty

I had a lobster for lunch at Gatheralls today and I'm still drooling!

Hey Jeff, quit complaining! I'm drooling, but didn't get to taste the lobster  :(

Terry:

Maybe we should like it twice a day, lunch and dinner. ::)

You guys are all making the lobster sound better and better. But I'd probably have to eat crackers in the motorhome to afford the lobster Mike would eat....I can't see him stopping at one ! I'm getting hungry. Guess I'll go dig out a TV dinner to throw in the microwave.

Wendy

While in Nova Scotia, you will have to try a recent Nova Scotia culinary first.  About 20 years ago a Lebanese immigrant start making "Donairs".  It is like a greek giro, but with a sweeter sauce.  Our favourite is from Roberts in Dartmouth, but many swear by either Toni's or Toulaney's in Halifax.  Make sure you're hungry, take your cholesterol medicine but it is worth it.  They are available at most pizza shops in NB & NS, but they are usualy not the same.

Ed

Betty, there is just no other way to eat lobster, but to make a big mess.  If the butter isn't dripping off your elbows, your doing something wrong....... :D

Daisy

Not to be a kill-joy, but just to add a little food for thought for you lobster lovers.  Be careful how MUCH you eat.  Our daughter and family came home on 30 days leave one year (Army) and had missed the lobsters so much, that they feasted on them almost every morning, noon and night.  She became VERY allergic to them and can't get anywhere near one now.  Boy is she sorry now.    :'(

Daisy

Daisy:

I took your advice to heart and had blackened halibut with a vegetable melody. Oh what a diet!

August 12, 2008 King Neptune Campground, Peggy?s Cove

We repeated last nights meal.  See yesterday for photos.  Not to  worry Daisy,  after a lobster meal  two days in a row I am tired of lobster. It is rich and the butter,,, oh the butter too much for 2  nights in a row.  But Terry would tell you a different story.

We toured Peggy?s Cove, this morning  along with  many, many tour busses off the cruise ships today.  We saw the  ?Peggy Show? and had a few laughs.  We  will return when  the weather is better and the crowds less.  We then drove off to see the SS Atlantic Memorial,  a tribute to 390 lost  passengers on the  lesser known ship in 1912  just  prior to the Titanic loss.  These waters are full of rocks and it is easy to see  that a ship could be lost if it happened to have the misfortune to navigate them by mistake.

We spent  time in Halifax today having the oil changed in the car.  Some things  are not very glamorous even if we are traveling.

August 13, 2008 Indian Head,  Still at King Neptune Campground ,  Peggy?s Cove

We returned today to the world famous Peggy?s Cove for photos  because yesterday was filled with tourists  from  over 7,000 passengers visiting from  3  huge cruise ships in Halifax today.  We had patches of blue sky and were thrilled with the sights.  While we have seen many,  many picturesque fishing villages  and lighthouses all over  Newfoundland, the harbor here at Peggy?s Cove looks like it was laid out by an artist for the right composition no matter which angle you chose to look.  I visited gift shops and art galleries.  I fell in love with a  ship model made from driftwood.  It was called Ghost ship but I did not make a purchase.  It is just  fun to see how creative artists can be with found objects.

We then toured the  Memorial to  the Swiss Air Flight that crashed  off shore in 1998, killing all 229 passengers aboard.  The Memorial is done  along two shores that form a triangle pointing to the crash sight  on the horizon.  Little is said of the crash itself  so I did a Google search and learned the details.  It just confirms that the way we will continue to travel is by motor home.  It was a very solemn memorial and makes me grateful again for every day .

Terry and I then drove the route around Aspotogan Peninsula. We found white sandy beaches and people out enjoying the warmth (?) of the day.  We  rested in the afternoon and caught up on the Olympic events collecting on our TIVO. 

Attachments

• Peggys Cove01 (Medium).JPG
    Peggys Cove01 (Medium).JPG
    95 KB · Views: 43
  • Peggys Cove08 (Medium).JPG
    Peggys Cove08 (Medium).JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Peggys Cove09 (Medium).JPG
    Peggys Cove09 (Medium).JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Peggys Cove10 (Medium).JPG
    Peggys Cove10 (Medium).JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Peggys Cove11 (Medium).JPG
    Peggys Cove11 (Medium).JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Peggys Cove12 (Medium).JPG
    Peggys Cove12 (Medium).JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Peggys Cove17 (Medium).JPG
    Peggys Cove17 (Medium).JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 41
Betty and Terry:

Your 4th image is really excellent.  It captures the heart of that village.  I've seen many, but Peggy's Cove is one of a kind.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom