Questions: RVing iin Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thegypsypainter

Hi All!  :D
This is my first post on this forum. Just to introduce myself, my husband & I are from FL and have been fulltiming since March '07 and loving it! We have an '01 Class A motorhome with 2 slides and find it very comfortable.

I have a couple of questions about traveling in Canada this summer. We plan on entering Ontario through Port Huron/Sarnia mid July. I have made CG reservations along the way, from Niagara Falls to Quebec City. 1)Since we live in our RV, we have all the necesssary documents for border crossing but what can we bring; i.e. fruit, vegetables, meat, etc? I have heard that fresh produce & meat is not allowed. What about canned, frozen? We have a good sized freezer. Do I need to empty it before leaving the States? What about coming back from Canada?

2) Is the main highway running through Ontario to Quebec in good condition? I would think it's comparable to any of our interstate highways, but I have heard that it is a rough ride. Is that true? I assume there are visitor centers at the main entry points where we can exchange currency, etc.

Any other info we should be aware of? I know that we cannot bring firearms across...and don't plan on trying. Anyone else RVing in Quebec this summer? This year is their 400'th anniversary.

Thanks for any input.
Gyspy

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here.

Wow!! 400th anniversary. I knew there was a lot of retirees in Fl. but you must hold the record.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Going into Quebec I hope you speak and read French.

Not sure what you can and can not take into Canada. Haven't crossed the border in a few years. But I'm sure someone will have that information and pass it along. Several of our members are headed for the Maritimes now so maybe they will have the most up to date information. I know things change quite often as far as food items are concerned.

First of all be sure and check our library and do search for info on Canada crossing.  There are a couple of threads.

Second, here is a website for the latest information:  http://gocanada.about.com/od/canadatraveloverview/qt/uscitizenborder.htm

We were in Canada in 2006 and if you follow the guidelines you will be just fine.  However when we crossed back into the US, we did have to leave a package of hot dogs at the border crossing.  ;)  I had them for "dog treats" and forgot that we couldn't take meat back in othe States.

Have fun!

Marsha~

Gypsy,

We crossed from Sault St. Marie MI into the Province of Ontairo this morning.  It was the easiest border crossing we have ever made.  Like you I was prepared  for the crossing  having just the limited items on board.  The crossing was similar to  a toll booth window.  Terry answered these questions
1.  What is you citizenship?  May I see your passports?
2.  Do you have any firearms on board?

3. Where are you going and how long will you stay?  Our answer amounted to 4 months.  She had to make a phone call to see if this was ok.  It was.
4.  Do you have any tobacco or alcohol on board?  Answer we have  a six pack of beer  and 2 bottles of wine. 

She said have a nice trip and gave us directions to Highway 17 heading east. 

We stopped at  the Visitor center just  across border and got complimentary maps of Onatario and directions on how to avoid the construction in the middle of town. 

A nice welcome into Canada. We are on our way to Ottawa.

Betty

Prior to crossing border I went to web site and got confused by all the info.  So I went othe the Visitor center in Michigan near the border and picked up the pamphlet which was very clear on what could and could not be  brought into Canada.

Here are examples  of the limits from page 12 of the Publication Information for Visitors to Canada and seasonal Residents:
. 2 dozen eggs
20 Kilo of dairy products ( not exceeding $20 in value)
3 kilos of butter or butter substitutes
20 kilos of edible meat and meat products including chicken and turkey (Maximum 1 whole turkey)
. a maximum of 5 kilos of edible meats and meat products from cattle , sheep, goat, bison and buffalo.
Maximum of 10 kilograms of chicken

You are allowed ONE of the following amounts of alcohol.

1.5 litres of wine
1.14 litres of liquor ( 40 ounces)
a total of 1.14 litres of wine and liquor or

24x 355 millilitre ( 12 ounces) of beer or ale. 

Verbiage also states each province has it's own requirements so it may differ where you cross into Canada. 
I was prepared and not inspected not quesioned other than what  I mentioned.

As implied, for the most part you will no problem crossing into Canada, but going back to the States is usually the tricky part, US Customs are very beaurocratic.  There is not much prohibited coming into Canada as far as food stuff.  However, one major thing I like to remind all Americans is that there is no first ammendment here, so do NOT come packing hand guns.  They take them from you if declared, or put you in jail if not declared and caught.  For the most part the Highways are good, but you will be going through Toronto, and it is no better than going through NY or Boston.  And then you'll be going through Montreal, and the Hwy within the city is fair at best, plus ALL directions are IN FRENCH.  You will take the 401 across Ontario to Hwy 20, to Quebec City.  

Betty, you do seem to have good luck in border crossings.  I recall 2 years ago both we and Russ got inspected while you got a pass :)

Highway 401 from Western Ontario through to the Province of Quebec through Montreal and through to Quebec City are all divided expressways, with Flying J's aloong the way.  Beware of rush hour traffic when crossing through Montreal, between 3:30 and 6 pm and 7:00 to 9:00 am weekdays.  Usually no problem weekends.  Listen to CJAD 800 AM and 940 AM while apporaching Montreal for English traffic reports.

Same warning for Toronto, but longer rush hours. Try to cross Toronto mid day or late after supper, or on weekends.

Let me know what other specific info you need for Eastern Canada.

A few years ago my wife and I drove our truck and camper into the Canadian Rockies. While there we picked up some wonderful semi-antiques and collectibles. When we lined up to cross back into the U.S. a customs officer asked us about purchases and curiously eyed a lovely old, bright red pole lamp I had lashed to our camper roof. (We looked a bit like the Beverly Hillbillies, missing only Granny in her rocking chair.) We told him the stuff we had bought. It was an odd assortment of items that couldn't be easily valued, though we did have receipts. He just kind of shrugged and said, "I think about five bucks should cover it." We were very pleased with his good (cheap) sense and happy manner.

The Canadian Rockies, by the way, are spectacular! And I think we paid about 15-bucks for full hookups at an RV park there.

To preserve the topic of Rving in Canada, the off topic discussion on firearms has been split off so the participants can continue their discussion gun legislation.

Thank's Steve, but I think we're at the end of the discussion in any event.  We've agreed to dis-agree on this topic, but in the usual Canadian/Us relations, it is in a civilized friendly manner.  We'll continue to be best friends, who just have a different opinion on the matter.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom