Forced to download Mozilla Firefox

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hfx_Cdn

I don't think I mentioned at the spring Rally that I started having intermittent problems logging into my Online Banking Account.  As time went on it got to the point that the only way I could get onto the site was in "Safe Mode".  We left the cottage yesterday, and the SIL, who's the computer geek of the family, played for hours to resolve the conflict, that he sais was Internet Explorer not recognizing the register???  In any event, he downloaded Firefox, and everthing seems to be working perfectly.  I was skeptical about the download, but remembered ti was being recommended by Ned and others in the forum.  Thanks all.

Another convert, whoopee!

For those wanting to check it out, you can download Firefox for free here. That's not a trial, or a teaser rate, the price is $0 and you get the full browser, not a crippled version. Oh, and you don't have to put up the issues present in Internet Explorer.

If you haven't downloaded Firefox yet, wait until tomorrow afternoon when Version 3 will be available.

Ned said:
If you haven't downloaded Firefox yet, wait until tomorrow afternoon when Version 3 will be available.

Ned,
Mine upgraded "automagicly" a couple of weeks ago to Version 3.  Is tomorrows V3 something other then what I already have??

No, you can't have ver. 3 yet.  It won't be available for download until tomorrow and has never been offered through the automatic update.  You should have ver. 2.0.0.14.

Hfx_Cdn said:
Internet Explorer not recognizing the register???  In any event, he downloaded Firefox, and everthing seems to be working perfectly.

Interesting, I've had the opposite problem frequently (some of my online programs at work will NOT work with Firefox and only IE), but never seen Firefox as the default.  It certainly has become a widely used and respected product.  The sheer array of simple program add-ons are just amazing.  Adblock is my favorite by far, eliminates almost all banner and pop-up ads after entering in their source codes one time.

Hummm, This is what it says under the "tools/about Mozilla Firefox" tab

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008052906 Firefox/3.0

Is that not V3.0 ??

You didn't get that through the automatic updates.  You had to download the RC2 version and install it manually unless you were running the beta versions.  Even then it took some extra steps to get added to the automatic updates for ver. 3.

Well, I guess I am the living example of "you can't fix stupid"

Somehow I did that and didn't realize that I did. ??? Every time it says to update this or that I just say OK.  I guess that's what happened.

That's why we have you Ned, to keep us going in the right direction.

Ned said:
You didn't get that through the automatic updates.  You had to download the RC2 version and install it manually unless you were running the beta versions.  Even then it took some extra steps to get added to the automatic updates for ver. 3.

Ned,

I have the same version 3.0 as Jerry.  It's a beta version.

Phil

The Beta version is available on that download page. I believe Ned was questioning it being downloaded automatically.

For those who are not using Firefox, do yourself a favor and download an install it tomorrow. There are two reasons for this: Reason #1 is that Firefox is a much safer browser to use than Internet Explorer. There have been, and continue to be major security issues with Internet Explorer. Most, if not all, of those issues do not exist in Firefox. Reason #3 for downloading tomorrow is that Mozilla is trying to get into the Guiness Book of World Records for the most downloads in a single day. :D

Tom is right.  The only way you could get version 3 automatically is if you had registered as a tester and were running one of the nightlies with that feature enabled.  Anyone else (like me) running version 3, either beta or release candidate, had to download it and install it themselves.

I'm not sure if version 3 will be offered tomorrow as an automatic update to version 2. Mozilla usually waits a while before doing that when there's a major version update.  You can download it and install it alongside version 2, but do set up a new profile for version 3 as there are major changes in the handling of bookmarks and other features in version 3 that are not backward compatible with version 2.

.... do set up a new profile for version 3 as there are major changes in the handling of bookmarks and other features in version 3 that are not backward compatible with version 2.

Thanks for the warning Ned. Care to explain the setting up of new profiles to those of us who don't do user manuals or "how to" instructions?

Make a copy of the Firefox shortcut on the desktop and add -P to the Target entry so it looks something like this:

"D:\Mozilla\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -ProfileManager

Of course, the path will be different, but the -ProfileManager tells Firefox to start with the profile manager.  From that window, you can create a new profile for FF 3.  Try it with the new profile, then when you're confident you want to switch, you can select your previous profile when starting and it will convert your bookmarks, etc. to the ff 3 formats.  All your extensions will be checked for compatibility and you'll have an opportunity to check for updates for those that aren't compatible.  Any that aren't or don't have an update ready will be disabled in the profile.

Do backup your profile first or read the Mozilla knowledge base Wiki on profiles so you can revert if it all goes south on you :)

Well, maybe it might be time to try FF again.  I've always had problems at certain websites with the functionality of FF, so have always gone back to IE.  It's free, it comes with Windows, and like any program, if you keep your updates and patches current, it is as safe as any other program out there.  I have never had an incident in all the years I've used IE.  I'm not saying anything good, bad or indifferent to the other browsers out there, just that some of the things did not work at some of the websites that I frequented with FF.  I will try again with the new version 3 and see what happens.  They were leaps and bounds ahead of IE in functionality, but compatibility sometimes hindered it.

Oh, and P.S....V3 is still not ready for downloading yet.  I'll wait for a bit.

The download will be available at 1000 PT today.  That's when the 24 hour record attempt officially starts.  Be prepared for busy servers :)

I, too, am an enthusiastic Firefox user but unless the new version corrects the problem I keep Internet Explorer on my desktop because some applications insist on it.

Dave,

Just curious, does the problem also exist in Firefox if the page is opened in an IE tab? I'm not 100% sure how the latter works, but it appears to emulate IE within FF.

Back
Top Bottom