Forced to download Mozilla Firefox

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dave, have you looked at the IE Tab extension?  It lets you run the IE rendering engine in a Firefox tab for those few web sites that use the non-standard IE "features".  A single click on a status bar icon opens the page in IE in the same tab.  It's not an emulation, it's actually IE with all its security problems and foibles.

BTW, those same sites will be broken in IE8 which will be standards strict by default.

What is the problem you have with FF or is it just the IE non-standard sites?

Yep, that's what I said, 1000PT.  I don't know if it will be offered through the update feature of FF2.  They usually don't do that right away with a major version update.  If you want to be near the head of the line, go to here and refresh the page starting at 1000PT, 1300 Gary time :)

It's not an emulation, it's actually IE with all its security problems and foibles.

That must be why I don't use it very often  ;D

Just IE non-standard sites, I'm sure. Never had any problems with FF. And yes, I did mean to say websites, not applications. Never noticed the IE tab extension. So, thanks!

First. I am running Firefox 3 but I do admit I downloaded from the beta site.. Only a few minor nits Isuspect will be cleared up is it today or in 10 days? forget which

Second. For a site to work with Firefox and not IE is unusuall   Firefox is a fully compliaint browser   I know of nothing that works with Firefox that is not defined in the standards

IE on the other hand has "Hidden features"

Of course.. I imagine it would be possible to design a site so it querries the browser and if it returns MSIE the site returns SORRY

In fact I know for a fact you can do that, How to do it is described in the HTML/Browsers standards

Be prepared for busy servers

There must ahve been 1,000,000+ fingers on the refresh button at the same time. No chance of even getting to the site now. I'll try later and, if it's still busy, I'll wait until tomorrow.

The servers are overloaded, and will probably be so for the next few hours, at least.  I am able to get to the FTP server directly, but I don't recommend that approach for most people.

Interesting, I got in the front door and, when I clicked the Download Firefox 3 button, it took me to the FF 2.0.x page.

The record is for the most software downloaded in 24 hours, they didn't say what software :D

Others are reporting the same thing on the Mozilla news groups.  It could be a caching problem on the mirroring servers.  I did get a copy from the FTP server, which you're not supposed to do, and it's identical to RC2 except for the build date.  I'll get a legitimate copy later today when things settle down, if they ever do :)

This could be a big PR blunder.

FWIW when I got in the front door it showed 324K downloads so far today.

More like the Mac fanboys lining up at the Apple store the day before the release of the next overpriced toy :D

The servers seem to be caught up now (1500CDT).

I'm upgraded. Some extensions didn't have updates, but I'll keep checking for them.

I did the upgrade from RC-2 to Release 1 today.. No change that I've seen over RC-2

The problem with both RC-2 and 3.0 that it does not handle style sheets properly so some frames are off.. I am hoping they fix this soon, it affects posting replies in this forum, Yahoo mail classic and a few other sites I visit..

One site it affects it some times and not others... Don't know why

it affects posting replies in this forum

John,

Could you post a screen shot or two to illustrate this? I don't see any difference (yet).

TIA

The released version was the same as RC2 (RC3 for OS X users).  The only difference is in the build information, otherwise the files are exactly the same.

I haven't found any problems with and CSS on any web site.  If it's doesn't work on FF, then the CSS is faulty.  I haven't seen any problems here, specifically.  I would suspect an addon that is modifying the HTML or CSS before rendering.  Greasemonkey scripts are good at that.

Back
Top Bottom