Musical wannabes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Jim,

A couple of days ago I dusted off my keyboard, dug out some music scores, and went back to my music 101 books. Like you, I have a lot of trial and error, e.g. when my ears tell me my fingers are pressing the wrong keys  :-[

BTW these messages were split off from this topic.

I too recently picked up a nice Yamaha keyboard to carry in the coach and am trying to re-educate my fingers a bit. Like Tom, I can pick out a tune "one finger" and read sheet music well enough to know which notes to play. Just not very fast and I make more than a few mistakes. Practice makes perfect and I don't do enough of that. Hardly any, in fact. Happy hour and the computer always seems to get in the way!

Practice makes perfect ...

Isn't that a fact Gary. Unfortunately, I didn't learn to read music or play piano when I was a kid. I recall going to some other kids' houses asking "is Johnny coming out to play?", and being told "he has to practice piano for a couple of hours".

My first week in grammar school I signed up for music and they gave me a violin. One night at home was all it took to be told "take it back and don't bring it home again". That was the end of my music education.

OTOH my Dad was born into a large coal mining family and, when he was a kid, my grandfather used to take him around the rich folks' houses to sing and make extra money so the family could eat. Here's a photo of Dad singing circa 1919.

It's only recently that I heard from Dad's only remaining sibling that his voice broke and that was the end of singing for the family's supper.

Attachments

• AlecSinging-c1919.jpg
    AlecSinging-c1919.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 29
Here's my musical debut caught on film.

Attachments

• Trumpet.jpg
    Trumpet.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 26
Here's our youngest grandson's musical debut.

Attachments

• karaoake kid.jpg
    karaoake kid.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 23
My musical expertise is that I can play the sterio just great.  However, Sam even questions that seems I always play too loud. :D

Tom said:
Liz, could I sign up for lessons?
SURE!!

Frustrated, I bought myself a Yamaha keyboard and some books, and taught myself to read a little music. I also took lessons with a guy who taught piano and organ. But my keyboard skills are about as good as my typings skills; Chris says I'm the fastest 1-finger hunt-and-peck typist she knows.

My objective in learning to read music and play the keyboard was to be able to correlate what I see on a score with what comes out of my mouth. Objective not achieved!
Well, you have made important progress since you can read a little music. And if you can read music and then sing that music, that is really good. Learning the notes of the keyboard will come with practice, practice and practice. Some men can have problems striking just one key because their fingers are actually too big.

I chose my YPG 626 because the keys have a mechanism that causes them to feel the same as a real piano and it is a full 88-key board. It also has 500 voices, all sorts of instruments and sounds. Producing music with all those bells and whistles is fun for me. <g>

Regards,
Liz

Thanks Liz. I've been singing since I was a kid, so that instrument and my ability to hear music, are OK. Reading music is slow for me, but not as slow as finding the notes on the keyboard. That's the bit that I think has to be learned (practiced, practiced, practiced) when you're a kid.

Sounds like you have a great keyboard. My Yamaha has only 62 keys and 238 voices. But, unless/until I can play the one I have, I can't see me getting a better model.

I've watched PBS and seen Scott Houston, aka Scott The Piano Man, a number of times as he explains in simple terms how to play piano. A few days ago I purchased a few of his products on amazon.com, some of which arrived today. I couldn't get the box opened quick enough. Scott has a great way of presenting his information in a simple way that even folks like me can understand.

You can read more about Scott and see some of his offerings at his web site

Tom,
I play guitar and sequence the keyboard workstation by ear. I flunked out of Piano 101 at 10 years old(Only helped me with my timing and how to play chords and progressions). Self taught guitar by ear. Writing everything with guitar and writing drums, fills and bass bu one sequence at a time on the keyboard. I can teach you to play guitar in about 6 months....by ear and chords, then sing along....if you commit to practice for 40 minutes a day. Learning to sequence the workstation may take a little longer..........Cliff

Tom said:
I've watched PBS and seen Scott Houston, aka Scott The Piano Man, a number of times as he explains in simple terms how to play piano. A few days ago I purchased a few of his products on amazon.com, some of which arrived today. I couldn't get the box opened quick enough. Scott has a great way of presenting his information in a simple way that even folks like me can understand.

You can read more about Scott and see some of his offerings at his web site

Cliff,

I'd gladly practice 40 minutes a day on a keyboard, but don't know about a guitar. I've always watched piano players with awe; Even in a restaurant, I'd stand discretely behind the piano player and watch his/her fingers. I've recently been watching videos of piano players, and I'm still in awe. I don't have their dexterity, and also have to "look" for the keys.

Tom,
But there's just something about sittin' around a campfire with a guitar and singin' old western songs. I burned the last piano I had in the campfire....hahahahahah

Cliff

Tom said:
Cliff,

I'd gladly practice 40 minutes a day on a keyboard, but don't know about a guitar. I've always watched piano players with awe; Even in a restaurant, I'd stand discretely behind the piano player and watch his/her fingers. I've recently been watching videos of piano players, and I'm still in awe. I don't have their dexterity, and also have to "look" for the keys.

I would love to learn the guitar...I gotta say though.  The wife and I went to Beale Street, BB (before babies), and there was a kid maybe in his early 20's. Long hair, scruffy clothes, ripped shoes, etc...

he walked into a corner store that had a piano by the door.  This kid broke into some INCREDIBLE music!  Within about 10 minutes there were about 20 of us sitting infront of the store with our jaws w-i-d-e open.  I couldnt believe the talent this kid had.  He played for about an hour, flicked his hair back, looked at us and smiled, then walked out.  No peddling, no words...nothing.  I was blown away at his talent.

My coach is a bit crowded.  I have three guitars, an amp, and a pedal board, and I'm building a fourth guitar.  Gonna have to get a bigger coach...

Steve

For piano or keyboard wannabes like myself, be sure to watch the PBS series called The Piano Guy, by Scott Houston. Scott takes a different tune each show and does a great job of walking you through the melody line and chords, one note at a time. The screen is split horizontal to show his fingers on the keyboard at the bottom and the lead sheet above.

He also explains some improvisations to fill in gaps. Each show he has one or two guest pianists and has them play a tune and dissect it for the viewing audience.

The series is currently airing on San Francisco channels 22 and 43 twice a week, but I don't know what the schedule would be for PBS stations in your area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom