2 LP/Propane Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NS Canuck

I took my pup out of winter storage, refilled my propane tank and went off for the weekend.  I connected and turned on, waited forever and couldn't get anything on the propane system to work.  Anyone have any ideas?

#2 - I have a Coleman tabletop propane stove.  Works great, but eats up a lot of those expensive little one pounder propane tanks.  I thought about getting a little tank just for the stove, but have a hard time finding an adaptor.  I bought a hose that has the right end to fit the stove, but is there an adaptor to attach it to a propane tank?  I thought it would be great to be able to connect the stove to my RVQ hose, but I haven't been able to find an adaptor for that either.  Appreciate any suggestions you could offer.  Thanks. 

A propane supplier should have an adaptor that fits onto your onboard tank, but I would have them install it just for safetys' sake. Any RV store or Camping world should have the adaptor, regulator, and hose to fit a 20lb. container. I got one when I bought my motorhome (it was in one of the bays) but have never used it.
I buy a bunch of the little bottles in the fall when the discount stores (Walmart, Target, etc.) put them on sale.

Woody

Even local hardware stores or Lowes or Home Depot usually have adapters hoses so you can run a portable grill off a standard propane bottle instead of the 1 lb cans. Just tell the clerk what you want to do.

HERE is a complete package from Camping World - adapter and 12 ft hose for a standard Acme thread propane tank. If you have an older tank with the old POL fitting, they have them too.

If your propane system doesn't deliver any LPG at all, the first place to look is the LPG detector. If it is off or has signaled an alarm or has no 12v power, most of them will shut off the gas supply via an electrically controlled valve.

If that is not it, check the regulator - it may have failed over the winter. Should be easy enough to check to see if any gas gets through the regulator.

I had this happen before, but when you filled your tank, if the open/close valve was weak, turning it on and off when you filled may have caused the valve to fail and it wont open.  If you can try and hook your propane tank to a barbque or something, you can see if the tank is dispensing.

Some propane tank valves have a safety feature that shuts of the gas supply if it thinks there is too much gas flowing, as in the case of a cut line. It will also shut off the gas if you open the valve too quickly. Turn off the tank valve, turn on a stove burner for a few seconds to relieve the pressure, turn it off again, and now open the tank valve SLOWLY. That might do it.

ANy ideas on the tanks... If your tanks or system has what I call a catastrophy valve (High flow cut off) then turn the tanks off.. Wait one cup of coffee (or your brew of choice) and SLOWLY turn them back on,, Just till you hear sound. Leave therm there till you hear no more than open just a bit more.. When you no longer hear gas flowing open all the way and try again.

Camping World, and _______RV,  along with a lot of other places, sell an adapter that goes between your tank and your regulator, it has a "Quick Disconnect" fitting on it.. This fitting is identical to the top of one of those throw-a-way bottles

They sell a hose that connects this to the fitting on your grill

Or you can carry a smaller refillable bottle and a slightly different hose that connects IT to the grill, or a slightly different adapter that transfers it to a quick disconnect and then you use the hose from the extend-a-flow

By your moniker, I'm guessing that you're in Nova Scotia too.  What area are you in?  If you're in Metro Fraseways in Sackville or if in New Glasgow, Stones each have good RV parts.  Unfortunately Gary, no Lowes in Canada, and I don't recall Home Depot stocking those types of parts here either.  In any event NS the answer is yes, I did it when I had my pop up, so it is just a matter of finding a decent supplyer.  Just thought, try the local Superior or any propane distributor.

Also something to think about. If its a new tank it might need to be purged meaning you might have an air pocket in there

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom