Motor Home sales down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark R.

Heard this morning that Winnebago announced that sales for first quarter were off by 70%, cause was  M.H. sales down, and would be down sizing .  I suppose that the high end MH builders will not be off by this much but Wini represents the the core of the industry, low to upper middle class RV buyers.  It is sad :(

Mark,check the high end dealers on the net, many have 06 Prevost's still on the lot. I  know that many are being floor planned also! That is akin to a sub-prime mortgage.The MSO holder's on these floor plans are the wall street investor's and the last thing they want to do is  repo these units.

Mark

Actually Winnebago reported sales down only ( :mad:) about 40%, profits were down over 70%.

You posted the same message in 2 different threads, that can be very confusing.

I think all RV sales are down. I have a summer job at a dealership and usually we are extremely busy at this time. I haven't worked in over a week and it doesn't look good for this week. I doubt I'll make enough to pay for our trip up from Florida. :mad: Most of our sales are travel trailers and even they are very slow.

Ouch, Jim.  :-[ Sorry to hear you haven't been getting any work at all.  That brings the economic impact of high fuel prices a lot closer to home, eh? And we see it in escalating grocery store prices and other commodities too.

Yep, it's going to hurt this year because of the fuel costs to come back to CT and the breakdown on the coach. Oh well, I'm getting more time on the bike as well as being able to visit with some forum framily. :) I think I'll pick up my tools in the next couple of days. Usually that triggers more work and I get called back the next day. ;D ;D

Luckily going back to FL is all downhill so it won't cost as much!! ;D ;D ;D

What goes down must go up...

This is a 2-year graph of Winnebago stock prices. I suppose it is similar than all other RV manufacturers.  Hang in there!

carson FL

Attachments

• wgo.png
    wgo.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 32
We started looking last weekend at small class C motorhomes made by Winnebago.  The sales guy asked us what we had to trade and, when we told him what it was, he seemed almost relieved. 

Our 5er is a Big Horn by Heartland and was the shortest one they made at the time we bought it.  They don't have one that short on any of their floor plans now.

The salesman said that 5ers that size are selling in Northwest Arkansas.  A lot of folks retiring want to buy something like that to travel down to Texas ( or other places) for a few months in the winter.

He did say that we would have a hard time getting a trade if we had a large motorhome to trade.  They're just not moving them off the lot -- doesn't matter if they are new or used.

We're not downsizing because of the cost of fuel, though better fuel economy would be a plus.  A small motorhome will just fit in better with what we are looking for in RVing than a high profile 5er.  It's more a matter of "right-sizing" than it is down-sizing.

We just visited the Newmar factory in Nappanee Indiana on our current trip.  The new manufacture workweek is down to 4 days and they are considering going to 3.  There have been tons of layoffs.

However, you can't tell it by the crowded conditions at Camp Newmar, the hookup site for warranty work.  We were lucky to arrive just as someone was pulling out and they graciously surrendered their space to us.  the week we were there tempers flared from time to time as people jockeyed for position at the highly desirable main lot with full hookups.  Even the overflow lot with water, power, but no sewage was full.

So Newmar is working overtime with warranty work, but has greatly cut new production.  Must be very hard on them, but as a customer I am glad I chose Newmar.  Hope they make it through the tough times.  I think there is light at the end of the tunnel because RVing is one of the industries that will profit from the graying of America.

Back
Top Bottom