Using a Montana LLC and importing to UK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rapide561

Hello and greetings from England

I am giving serious consideration to travelling to the USA and purchasing a Damon Daybreak for import to the UK. I can do that part witout little fuss, except on arrival in the UK, I have to pay 10% import duty, plus 17.5% VAT on top. So, in UK pounds,

RV cost = ?40,000

Import tax ?4000

Sub total ?44,000

VAT @ 17.5% = ?7700.00

Total ?51,700.00

So, it seems the total taxes for importing will be ?11,700 sterling. Wow.

If I own the RV in the USA for a period of time, and also reside in the USA for at least 180 days out of 365, these taxes are not needed to be paid when I arrive in the UK with the Damon. UK customs law states that I must have owned the goods - proven by title for 12 months.

Now, the question......

If I buy the RV using a Montana LLC to save the cost of the sales tax, would that actually be regarded as me owning the RV?

Thanks

Russel,

Browse some of the prior discussions on this Visitors to the USA message board. Also check out the Visitors to the USA area of our library.

If I own the RV in the USA for a period of time, and also reside in the USA for at least 180 days out of 365, these taxes are not needed to be paid when I arrive in the UK with the Damon. UK customs law states that I must have owned the goods - proven by title for 12 months.

This message by a fellow Brit suggests you have that backwards.

Russell
You also have to pay VAT on all shipping costs ,Andy Hales will be best to advise you on that as he is one of the most recent Brits to import an RV.You can catch him on here or MHF.The 180 day rule changed a few years back its now 12 months.
As for the LLC i have it as my name so no problems when i imported mine
Ian

Hi Russell

Sorry I havent replied to your PM on MHFun - Im a little busy at present with starting up the RVOA; whilst doing a 60hr/week driving job (chorus of violins start now please).

Please do as Tom suggests re the Library (and Visitors to the USA threads) - all the info is in those, together with links to HMRC forms etc.

If you then have questions to clarify stuff, post them and you will get loads of useful replies on here.

Be aware that a lot of the current talk on here re LLCs is between US Residents, who are facing a clampdown.

The clampdown does NOT (generally) apply to non-US citizens as we have no "home state" - having said that, you may wish to have your mail-forwarding address in a zero sales tax State so they cant claim that is your State of residence.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom