Amazon Kindle ebook reading device is a perfect RV appliance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We download books from audible. Mike hooks up the computer to the stereo in the motorhome. Of course, they're not free. We also borrow CD books from the libary.

I looked at a couple of Kindle demo videos on Amazon.  I never saw anything on the display that wasn't text.  Do they not handle figures, maps, pictures, etc.?

Wendy, the weight was compared to holding a book.  The Kindle weighs about as much as a typical paperback, and much less than an hardcover book.  And yes, Lorna will appreciate the weight loss of not carrying a bag of books in the bay :)

I've listened to audio books, but for convenience, the Kindle is much better.  BTW, if you like SciFi, James Patrick Kelly has released a number of his novels in MP3 format for free.  I've listened to them while traveling, especially in west Texas :)

Frank, the Kindle will display graphics, but in grayscale and with the 600x800 resolution, it's limited.  Book covers aren't too bad, however.

Thanks Ned. Books, SF, and Free are three of my favorite things !! I'll check it out.

At the risk of diverging the thread, I just want to point out that podiobooks has a lot of free to download audiobooks in several genres (of varying quality).  They publish them in serialized (podcast) form.  They request donations, a percentage going to the author.  Usually the author is also the reader.  I've been satisfied with them for the most part.  It helps keep me awake during my commute.

And back on topic, I just ordered a kindle, so soon I'll be able to start reducing my physical book library as part of that whole downsizing before fulltiming process.  I'm also tired of carrying several books around with me all the time.  I see that there are many reference books that would be useful in my job available as well.  I might be able to talk my boss into buying those for me.    ;D

jim

Ned:  I haven't read the rest of the postings here yet, so you probably already answered this three times.  Where'd Helaine get the Mobipocket converter and reader?  I take it these are two distinct pieces of software.  There's a lot of discussion about them on the Amz Kindle discussion groups. People want to put personal files and work documents on their Kindles. 

Never mind.  Found it on mobipocket.com

--pat

All.  One thing about buying a resold Kindle is that they are registered to your member ID at Amazon.  Any books purchased from Amz and loaded to them are licensed to that particular Kindle.  Careful to get that Kindle ownership license transferred to you.

Re book prices, once the books are out in paperback, generally the price changes to at or lower than paperback.

Also, all ebooks purchased from Amz are in your library at Amz as long as they remain in business.  The are not shareable between Kindles.  They can't be passed around like paper books can.  However, you can always pass around the Kindle, I guess. 

People are using 8gb and 16gb SD cards in their Kindles.  I have an 8gb coming this week.  I need to load it up to see if the Kindle will recognize the whole 8gb or only  4gb of it. 

Transferring between Kindle and PC is easy.  The Kindle automatically creates three directories on the SD card, and you are instructed into which directory to place music, audio books, etc. 

Amz provides two .pdf manuals for the Kindle.  I found downloading and reading them before purchase answered tons of questions and gave a pretty good idea of what it does.  They manuals are very repetitious though, so it's not good bedtime reading.

--pat

Re the "Pillars of the Earth" issue, I wonder if the Kindle thought you were already into the book and started in the wrong place.  Note the dots at the bottom that indicate where you are in the book.  They should all be light and get darker as you read.  I notice Amz opens books at the store and skips the chapters, title, dust jacket stuff.  Found that out when I accidentally hit the page-back button.  Go to that beginning and try paging backward. 

Also, notify [email protected] of the problem.  I don't think they're unloading abridged books on people.  The 3,000+ postings in only one of the three discussion groups would have picked up on that long ago.

--pat

wendycoke:  You're not the only one who has commented on the smell of the books.  There's considerable discussion (and not a little harrassment) in one of the Amz Kindle discussion groups. 

Barb:  The Kindle has little speakers.

Frank:  The Kindle is definitely not noted for its graphics capabilities.  Lot of discussion on that in the Amz discussion groups.

You can multitask while reading.  There are page forward and back buttons on both sides, so you don't even have to move your hand to turn the page.  It's all one-handed.   It's pretty funny, because I keep getting ready to reach up and turn.  Just twitch your thumb a quarter inch to hit next page button. 

When I'm reading on my side, I can stand the Kindle in the case, leaning on its side on the pillow.  Don't even have to hold it.  Reach up now and then to tap the page button.  Kind of decadent.

--pat

Pat, you'll find the Mobipocket Creator to be a useful program to convert other formats to .PRC files.  However, I found out that the Kindle will actually read .PDF files, even though it's not a specified format.  They can't be too complex, but most ebooks in PDF format aren't.

Let me know how the 8GB card works.  I thought 4GB was the largest supported, but I may have misread that somewhere.  8GB is a LOT of books, several thousand at least.

Ned:  I downloaded and installed the Mobipocket Reader and Creator.  Looked them over.  I thought the reader might read the Kindle books on my PC, but it doesn't seem to recognize that format.   I'm leery that the Mobipocket website said it would automatically install itself on my ebook reading device (i.e., my Kindle) when I attach the device and I definitely don't want that to happen.  Did it install to your Kindle?

Re the 8gb card:
Kindle tech support states quite specifically that the Kindle works with only a max size 4gb, non-HC SD card, but there are people on the discussions with 8gb and 16gb cards working fine.  My 8gb SDHC card should be here tomorrow.  About the quickest way I can check the visible capacity is by loading it with audiobooks.  Since the Kindle lists every single track as a separate book, I'll see if I can find a book with 30-minute tracks in my auidiobook collection.  Then I'll make multiple copies and rename them to look like separate books and load it up.   

Do you have any other thoughts on testing the card capacity? 

I bought the larger card more for the future than for now.  The filing system needs to be improved, which I'm sure is in the works.  I'd load it up with music, except I don't like the random play.  You can't play audiobooks while you read (makes sense) but you can play background music, and the sound is better than my iPod. 

--pat

Pat, they should if they're .PRC files.  Did you import the folder with the books?  The reader keeps its own library, so you have to import the files before they'll show up in the eBooks window.

You can check the capacity of the card by connecting the Kindle to the PC then check the properties of the drive that shows up in My Computer.  I don't have any cards larger than 4GB so I can't test here.  If I see an 8GB card at a reasonable price, I'll pick it up.

... I just want to point out that podiobooks has a lot of free to download audiobooks in several genres (of varying quality).

Thanks for the link Jim. I've downloaded a couple of their books an started listening to them while I was working outside. One thing that confused me with the first one was Episodes vs Chapters; I don't understand why one episode doesn't equal one chapter. It appears to be an unknown variable and it really confuses my iPod. I'm enjoying the first book though.

Ned:  Oh, wait a second.  I remember now.  There is a place where the Kindle reports the properties of its own drive and any SD card. 

I wonder if there's any possiblity that the Kindle can report the full size of the card without being able to work with more than 4gb.  I'll test it empty and then full of music and audiobooks.  It's so strange that Amz doesn't acknowledge that it can handle bigger cards.  I got my info from them just the other day, so it's not prior to some firmware upgrade. 

You don't need an extra Kindle cover, do you?  I'm dumping the one that came with it and using the M-Edge that should be here tomorrow.  I can't figure out how to offer it in the Amz discussion groups, because I don't want to post an email address on such a public forum. 

--pat

I would expect the Kindle to use whatever size it reports seeing.  I'll be looking for the results of your tests.

I'm not sure I'm going to use the cover I have, but it fits ok.  However, I think it gets in the way when folded back for reading.

You can obfuscate your email address in a forum by posting it like yourname AT yourisp DOT com.  This will stop the bots while letting others figure it out.  Get an extra Gmail account to use where even that technique concerns you.

Even after two months now I often see my right hand float to the top of the Kindle and ready itself to turn the page as i read closer to the bottom.

My One big wish is a way to arrange my table of contents. I would like to put the books in folders like I would put them on shelves

Helaine

BTW, if you like SciFi, James Patrick Kelly has released a number of his novels in MP3 format for free.  I've listened to them while traveling, especially in west Texas :)
[/quote]

Ned
Where would I find these??

Helaine

Helaine, try his web site.  I got the links through his RSS feed as podcasts from here. The latter will have all the downloads.

Ned:  The UPS guy must have this stop at the end of his route today.  No SD card yet.  It's out for delivery, though.

I can use my Kindle contact email address to give away the original cover. 

--pat

Back
Top Bottom