7-pin trailer connection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottydl

Site Team
My new (to me) Demco Kar Kaddy tow dolly has a 7-pin "round" electrical connection, for hooking up to the RV (or other tow vehicle).  My MH just has the standard 4-pin flat rectangle receiver on its hitch.  I bought a $26 adapter to turn my MH's connection into a 7-pin receiver, but started wondering "do I really need that?"  Alternatively, I could cut off the 7-pin plug from the tow dolly and splice on a 4-pin.  Much cheaper and it's all that I need.  The extra features that a 7-pin provides (reverse lights, electric brakes, and a miscellaneous "hot" connection I believe) are not installed or needed on the dolly.  Quite honestly I'm not sure why the 7-pin is there in the first place, since only 4 of the wires are actually hooked up.  Any reason to keep it there?

I just don't think it would be the effort to save $26.  You are better off with the adaptor.  I use adaptors for my boat trailer.

I'd keep the adaptor also.  It's an easy fix, however the $26.00 seems high.  I had to do that on a horse trailer I had.  The adaptor worked really well and when someone needed to borrow the horse trailer, if they had the 4 pin there was no need for the adaptor.  So I kinda had the best of both worlds.

I guess I'm of the thinking that if I can keep it simple, that's what I'll do.... ;D

Marsha~

You don't have to eliminate the 7 pin - you can just splice in a 4 pin on the same line.  That way if you get a coach with a 7 pin Pollack connector you are still ready to go without needing an adapter on that one.

But I agree there is no need for the 7 pin if the trailer has no brakes (although I would want brakes on it if it were mine). But you already bought the adapter... By the way, you paid way to much for it -  they are $10-12 online and $15 in most auto parts stores. Find a different supplier for your lighting accessory needs!

RV Roamer said:
By the way, you paid way to much for it -  they are $10-12 online and $15 in most auto parts stores. Find a different supplier for your lighting accessory needs!

Currently it's unopened and I still have the receipt.  I'm a "dealhound" in every sense of the term and am MORE than happy to return the adapter if I can find a better price.  I purchased this one at my local Farm & Fleet, and their price was a dollar less than Wal-mart.  Could you point me to one of the lower prices sources you are aware of?  FWIW, my observation at F&F was that this style (4-pin male to 7-pin female) was the most expensive adapter in the trailer accessory section, and just happened to be the one I needed.  ::)

A google search for "Trailer Wiring Adapter 7 Pin To 4" got lots of hits and prices from below $8 although there was shipping to pay.

(4-pin male to 7-pin female) was the most expensive adapter in the trailer accessory section

Aha!  It appears you have the reverse of the adapter most of us need/use. The usual configuration is 7 pin male to 4 pin female. No wonder yours was expensive! I don't ever recall seeing one of those.

Stopped by the Auto parts store where I purchased my adaptor for less than $15 two years ago to find the same adaptor now costs $36.  Must be the high fule costs. :(

RV Roamer said:
Aha!  It appears you have the reverse of the adapter most of us need/use. The usual configuration is 7 pin male to 4 pin female. No wonder yours was expensive! I don't ever recall seeing one of those. 

Ah yes, makes more sense now.  I originally bought the wrong one too, and had to return it for the other direction adapter that cost twice as much.  About $18 shipped (from this eBay seller) is about the best price I've found so far on what I need.  Still better than the retail price I paid.

scottydl said:
My new (to me) Demco Kar Kaddy tow dolly has a 7-pin "round" electrical connection, for hooking up to the RV (or other tow vehicle).  My MH just has the standard 4-pin flat rectangle receiver on its hitch.  I bought a $26 adapter to turn my MH's connection into a 7-pin receiver, but started wondering "do I really need that?"  Alternatively, I could cut off the 7-pin plug from the tow dolly and splice on a 4-pin.  Much cheaper and it's all that I need.  The extra features that a 7-pin provides (reverse lights, electric brakes, and a miscellaneous "hot" connection I believe) are not installed or needed on the dolly.  Quite honestly I'm not sure why the 7-pin is there in the first place, since only 4 of the wires are actually hooked up.  Any reason to keep it there?
The only reason that the dolly came with a 7pin is because 99%of all new trucks or mh come with a 7pin standard. that and they probably got a deal on them..lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom