PayPal & eBay have a new security key

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've used those for other secure internet log on sites and they are great if you want the extra protection.

Even if you happen to fall for a particularly clever phishing scam and they capture the code you used, it is useless in less than 30 seconds.

Ron,

Yes, I use it for my PayPal account 'cause that's the one with money in it.  It really works great.

JerryF

One of the things that keeps nagging at me is the "NEW security key"

I recall reading about this technology 10-20 years ago.

Guess it's taken E-bay/Pay Pal that long to catch up

John In Detroit said:
One of the things that keeps nagging at me is the "NEW security key"

I recall reading about this technology 10-20 years ago.
You may have read about the security key but it may have taken 10 - 20 years to prefect it to a point where it is reliable enough to put into use.
Guess it's taken E-bay/Pay Pal that long to catch up

It appears to me that they are among the first to start using it.  Can you name many other sites using it?  I wouldn't call that catching up but more like introducing new technology.

My bank, My credit union and my stock broker/trading site to name three.  I have a couple other sites where funds are moved from one place to another as well. My credit union has been using it for a couple years.

It's not new technology at all.  It's been around for about 20 years, but just now the financial web sites are starting to implement it.  Wells Fargo is offering it.  Do a Google search on securid to find out all about it.  It's just another way to implement 2 factor security (something you know and something you have).  Not as good as 3 factor security (something you are) but the best we have right now.

No when I read about it years ago it was identical to the write up (or as close as memory recalls, and I have a good memory)

I can not name other sites using it.  But I do recall it was offered a long time ago.

But then... At the time I was sort of in the security business being a police dispatcher

The technology is not unlike what we use on Wi-Fi  I can never keep WPA and WEP straight but on one you use a password, which never changes,, On the other you use a pass phrase, which is ever changing.  (THE Pass phrase "Seeds" a code generator)

AOL used something like this before they became AOL as well in that every time you logged on your password was different, computer generated, during your last log on  and saved to your log-on disk.  Like a modern cookie

papahog said:
My bank, My credit union and my stock broker/trading site to name three.  I have a couple other sites where funds are moved from one place to another as well. My credit union has been using it for a couple years.

I have one to access the corporate network.

Do you have to have multiple whatits or can you use one on multiple sites?

This seems to be a good thing if the answer is yes.

Joel

I wish my bank would start using it but, on the other hand, if everyone used it I probably would have half-a-dozen different devices to keep track of!!!  As you folks said its been around for a while and it's just another layer of security.  Remember, it's usually the "not to well protected" accounts that usually get hit.  Ned is right-on saying that "something you are" is probably the best but it also is the most costly and difficult to implement.  It will be adopted but not for a while.

JerryF

Our Toshiba notebook has a fingerprint scanner, which would take care of the "something you are" factor, unfortunately, it doesn't work most of the time :(  I don't think it's the hardware, just poor drivers.

Ned said:
Our Toshiba notebook has a fingerprint scanner, which would take care of the "something you are" factor, unfortunately, it doesn't work most of the time :(  I don't think it's the hardware, just poor drivers.

Maybe you're just working too hard, Ned.  You've have worn the nubs off your fingertips.  ;D

The fingerprint scanner on my Toshiba notebook works 95+% of the time. 

It works just fine in the training program, but when it asks for a scan to do something, it doesn't respond.  Oh well, it's Lorna's computer, and I rarely use it anyway.  I certainly wouldn't rely on the scanner for security at this time.

Back
Top Bottom