toad vehicles vs 4 wheel towable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Torchbearer

I am trying to figure out what kind of vehicle I need to tow behind my motorhome.  I have found the toad vehicle list, but I am not sure if that means they can be towed with a dolly or if they are 4 wheel towable.  My problem is that I need something that can carry at least 5-6 people.  Is there a list of 4 wheel towable vehicles somewhere and do you guys that tow have a problem with tow dolly's.

You can check out whether a specific make/model of car can be towed all 4 down by using Remco's online towing guide. Motorhome Magazine also has lists of towable cars on their web site.

A separate, but equally important issue is the towing capacity of your motorhome. The simplest calculation is:

Towing capacity = (GCWR - GVWR)

FWIW we tow a Suburban (weighs 7,000 lbs) behind our motorhome which, using the above calculation, has a 10,000 lbs towing capacity. Of course, it also has a hitch that's rated for 10,000 lbs.

Don't forget the auxiliary braking system for the toad; Check out this illustrated article showing various options in our library.

The Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Towing Guide lists vehicles that do NOT require modifications for 4-down towing (no dolly). Additional vehicles can be towed 4 down (no dolly) by adding some equipment from Remco Towing. The Remco list identifies whether one of their modifications is required and, if so, which one.

Just about anything can be towed with a dolly (except for a few All Wheel Drive models) by placing the drive wheels (front or rear) on the dolly.

I dont see why if its a front wheel drive ( older one ) 2010 . But they claim you cant do it . ???  Anyone know for sure what kind of  vehicles  you can tow on A Dolly...?  Thanks ...Jerry

Anyone know for sure what kind of  vehicles  you can tow on A Dolly...? 
Any front drive vehicle.  Rear drive vehicles with a manual transmission (in neutral). 4WD vehicle that have a 2WD/4WD transfer case with a neutral position.

I just mentioned this in another thread.

There are some cars that should not be towed period except for emergency towing on a flat bed.
Or if you are going to tow 'em you have to follow a special procedure. flip a hidden switch.

Working for a period for a towing company We had customers complain their vehicle was damaged by being towed on a flat bed (The driver DID in fact follow the proper procedure for that car).  Now most of those were Lincolns. but I'm sure there are others like them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom