Refridgerator recall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

~~Joyce~~

My fridge is on the recall list and they are coming to my lot this evening to install the kit. Has anyone had this done? Does the fridge/freezer need to be emptied?  TIA

I had it done last fall to mine, but unfortunately I wasn't allowed into the shop area to see what they were doing. They had it done pretty quick though ... whatever they did.  ;D

They are supposed to inspect the cooling unit for cracks. If none are found (the usual case) they install a kit to detect an over temperature condition and I'm told it includes an arrester to help contain any flames if a crack does occur.  If the inspection detects a crack in the cooling unit, they are supposed to replace it, but they probably aren't going to do that on your campsite and won't have the necessary parts with them anyway.

RV Roamer said:
They are supposed to inspect the cooling unit for cracks. If none are found (the usual case) they install a kit to detect an over temperature condition and I'm told it includes an arrester to help contain any flames if a crack does occur.  If the inspection detects a crack in the cooling unit, they are supposed to replace it, but they probably aren't going to do that on your campsite and won't have the necessary parts with them anyway.

In other words patch it instead of fixing the original proplem.  Kinda like installing an idiot light to warn you your engine is about to spit it insides out instead of replacing the suspect parts.

What's up with these refrigerator fans that I see for sale that are supposed to speed up the venting process and thus allow the refrige to cool better? Do they really work, or are they snake oil? It looks like they mount in some sort of vent behind the fridge.

What's up with these refrigerator fans that I see for sale that are supposed to speed up the venting process and thus allow the refrige to cool better? Do they really work, or are they snake oil? It looks like they mount in some sort of vent behind the fridge.
They work.  In cool weather, the heat of the external coils sets up a convection airflow over the coils.  Heat transfered from the inside of the refrigerator warms the air around the coils.  Warm air rises, so the refrigerator's heat exits out the roof vent.

When the weather gets hot, there's not as much difference in temperature between the coils and the incoming air from the lower vent so the convection flow breaks down.  Without airflow over the coils, there's nowhere for the refrigerator to dump the heat it's removing from the interior so the cooling decreases or stops .

By increasing the airflow over the coils, the fans improve the refrigerator's operation in hot weather.

No kidding !!

Are they difficult to install?

Do you have to take the refrigerator out to do it? ( I would have no clue how to go about doing that )

I took my TT into Camping World today.  It took them about 20 minutes to do the actual recall on my refridgerator and about one hour overall.  Then I was on my way.  They removed an exterior panel, installed the metal plates that prevent the insulation form coming into contact with the hot parts and closed it back up.  They only needed to get inside the TT to check the model and Serial numbers.  I'm glad to know it has been accomplished and we are free to use it again.

Tom I wanted to see if my dometic  was on the recall list last night , so I l searched the dometic site and found no mention of it, I then searched the forum and found that all the posted links located in different post took you no where. Found some Google hits with models and ser #s but nothing real current, seems to me like there was a update to include more recent units not too long ago. My unit is just about one year old and did not appear on the list I found so I am hoping its OK but I wonder if there is a new all inclusive list out there.

Mark,

Looks like they changed the location of the recall page. I found it here. (The link was on their web site, but wasn't immediately obvious.)

I'll go back and change the links in the old message(s).

Edit: I think I got 'em all; If someone comes across one I missed, please let me know. Thanks.

They fixed it at our camp site and all it really does is contain the fire if a fire is started. Really just a patch, but what can we do?

Few of the fridges ever actually fail, Joyce, and fewer yet cause fires if they do. The idea is to prevent a catastrophe if it does. Yes, its a band aid, but replacing the cooling unit of every Dometic fridge produced for several years is simply not a financially viable option. And there probably aren't enough cooling units produced or enough technicians available to even do that in less than 5 or more years.  So necessity drives a less than ideal solution.  Apparently the NTSC agrees that the band aid is sufficient to eliminate the danger of a fire.And  Dometic will still replace your cooling unit if it does fail due to the defect at a later time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom