Downgrading from TT to Popup? Anyone done this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miscoehill

We bought a 27' TT last summer and its much too big for us (family of 4).  The teens don't really want to go camping with us.  We're thinking of downgrading to a pop-up mostly because my husband has such a hard time backing it up!  The stress level is awful!  We pull it with a shorter wheelbase truck so that doesn't help.  Anyone ever downgrade and did you like it?

Im sure with gas prices a lot of people are downsizing. We used to have a pup and now a hybrid tt and I felt the pup was harder to back up. As with everything practice makes perfect.

If I were in your shoes I would find some driving lessons for both of you to learn how to back the trailer.  It is not really hard and can be learned in a short time.

If the stress level of setting up a rig is great , you will likely not go out as much.  If your kids no longer go with you I see no reason you would not enjoy a pop up. I've seen some very special ones and it seems campers in campgrounds set  them up in a hurry.  But only you can answer the question of how many creature comforts you want in your RV experience.

I have tried for years to learn to back  our little boat down a ramp, still can't do it!

Betty

Having had a pop up and now a 28 ft TT, I can tell you it is easier to back up the longer TT than the shorter pop up trailer.  And set up is so much simpler too.  Before you trade down, rent a pop-up to see if it meets your needs.
I suggest going to an empty parking lot with the TT and doing some practice backing into some spots.  Once you get the ahng of it, it is very easy.

If Ron was paying attention I think he would have understood the point I was trying to make . That if you have problems backing the pop up is not the answer. I dont have a problem backing but thanks for the suggestion

I agree with the above.  My BF could back the PUP is he life depended on it.  The first camping trip with our new Hybrid we had a drive thru spot so he never got to practice backing up until we put it in the storage parking spot for the first time.  It's a tight spot and he got it in (straight) on the first try.

Each type of trailer is different for backing.  When we went from a bumper pull to a fifth wheel, I had to relearn everything.  Set up some plastic cones in an empty parking lot and practice backing until it feels natural. 

To answer the original question, on your next outing strike up a conversation with someone who owns a pop up and see how they like it.  Ask them if they've ever owned a conventional trailer and to compare the pros and cons of each.

If the kids aren't interested in going anymore, and you can live without some of the amenities of the larger unit, I say why not? 

Miscoehill said:
We bought a 27' TT last summer and its much too big for us (family of 4).  The teens don't really want to go camping with us.  We're thinking of downgrading to a pop-up mostly because my husband has such a hard time backing it up!  The stress level is awful!  We pull it with a shorter wheelbase truck so that doesn't help.  Anyone ever downgrade and did you like it?

As others have said here, the pop-up will not give you all that much relief.  The worst trailer I have ever owned for backing was an itty bitty cargo trailer.
That said it might help to review backing instructions.

1.  Station a helper behind your trailer on the outside of your turn, which is the side you are blind on.  Accept instructions only from the helper.    All other helpful souls should be asked to talk with the helper.

2. The helper should tell you in which way to move the back end of the trailer:  left, right, or straighten out; back, forward, or halt.   The helper should remember that the driver can see them only when they can see the driver's side mirror.

3.   The driver should place his or her hands on the bottom of the steering wheel.    By pushing the steering wheel to the right, you will move the back of the trailer to the right --push to the left, back to the left.   This is why the helper should give the driver instructions in terms of where to move the back end of the trailer.

4.    The turn into the campsite should be made allowing enough space on the outside of the turn to allow for the front end of the trailer and the back end of the tow vehicle to clear obstacles.   Start at the middle of the access road, not the far side.   Do not let cars wanting to pass to panic you -- folks in RV parks know that it takes a while to park a trailer, and if they are in a hurry, they can back out.

5.  The target for siting the trailer is the utility post and the sewer outlet.  Ideally you should be near the pole with your sewer outlet at least about 5 feet from your dump valve to allow the hose to be stretched a bit.  That said, there are sites where some genius designed the outlet 15 feet away from the utility post.  Cope.   ;D

The use of FRS radios or handheld CB by the helper can save a lot of shouting and arm waving.   If giving hand signals, be sure you can see the side mirror so that the driver can see you in it.

Both husband and wife should give driving a try.  Some folks are better at translating instructions into actions and that not necessarily male or female.

The driver should get out of the truck at least once in a backing session to see what needs to be done.  Actually seeing saves a lot of instruction.

I downgraded from a 25 ft. trailer almost 2 yrs ago.The reason I did this I hated pulling the trailer on the interstate.It always swayed even with sway bar.I got a Palomino 6149 pop up,it has slide out dinnette and shower,toilet,everything.It is very easy to pull without a sway bar.It is very roomy and me and wife love it,we have had company stay with us in it still have plenty of room.I can drive 80 mph and not even know it is there.Which means I will tow this a lot further than I would a TT.

frednga said:
I downgraded from a 25 ft. trailer almost 2 yrs ago.The reason I did this I hated pulling the trailer on the interstate.It always swayed even with sway bar.I got a Palomino 6149 pop up,it has slide out dinnette and shower,toilet,everything.It is very easy to pull without a sway bar.It is very roomy and me and wife love it,we have had company stay with us in it still have plenty of room.I can drive 80 mph and not even know it is there.Which means I will tow this a lot further than I would a TT.

Wow!! Sounds relaxing.  80 mph with a pop-up in tow ???

OnaQwest said:
Wow!! Sounds relaxing.  80 mph with a pop-up in tow ???

Yeah, especially when that flashing red light shows up in your mirror.  The highest speed limit in the USA is 75 mph.

Carl L said:
Yeah, especially when that flashing red light shows up in your mirror.   The highest speed limit in the USA is 75 mph.

Carl.....West Texas interstates are 80 mph out in the boonies.  El Paso to San Antonio along the I-10 corridor comes to mind.

80 mph in Texas

That said, I'd certainly hate to have a blowout on my trailer at that speed.  Even if nothing went seriously wrong, I'd probably need a change of underwear.

Frizlefrak said:
Carl.....West Texas interstates are 80 mph out in the boonies.  El Paso to San Antonio along the I-10 corridor comes to mind.

80 mph in Texas

That said, I'd certainly hate to have a blowout on my trailer at that speed.  Even if nothing went seriously wrong, I'd probably need a change of underwear.

Blowout at 80 mph?   Naah, where you would find yourself, they do not need underwear.   Of course in West Texas that would not be such a big step down.   ;D

Here is an idea. Unload all of the things you currently carry in your TT and don't want to be without and put it all in a pile. Now try to imagine where you would put all of that stuff in a popup. I'll be willing to bet you have a lot left after all of the space is gone in even a large popup. Now decide what you are willing to give up to make the change. That should make the decision for you.

As for me, when I decided to get back to camping after a few years away I first considered a popup. Then I remembered those days in my youth when we had to pack the camper in the rain and then unpack it again at home so it could dry out before we could pack it again. Not to mention opening it up to load/unload it everytime we wanted to go somewhere. That was when I decided to go with a TT. Now I am in a 5'er and not looking back. I really appreciate the convenience and space I have now and the 5'er backs lots better than any trailer I have ever owned. Of course it was a bit of a learning curve when I first started but in no time I had the hang of it.

Good luck on your decision.

Carl L said:
Blowout at 80 mph?   Naah, where you would find yourself, they do not need underwear.  Of course in West Texas that would not be such a big step down.  ;D

You got something against cacti, rattlesnakes, tumbleweeds, dust, and other foliage with large thorny spikes on it?  ;D

Bayou Talker said:
I really appreciate the convenience and space I have now and the 5'er backs lots better than any trailer I have ever owned. Of course it was a bit of a learning curve when I first started but in no time I had the hang of it.

Not to mention how easy a fiver is to hitch up....stabbing a king pin is nothing compared to having to line up a 2" ball.

A pop up is great under certain circumstances.  If you're looking for something lightweight to tow, easy to manuever, and low cost, you can't beat them.  And if you boondock a lot and just want a dry place to sleep with some room to store a few goodies, they're perfect.  And they're an excellent wait to get your feet we in RVing.  But there is DEFINITELY something to be said for having lots of storage room....and a fiver is just the ticket.  It's amazing how much stuff we can't do without  ;)

You got something against cacti, rattlesnakes, tumbleweeds, dust, and other foliage with large thorny spikes on it? 

Shoot, no.  Remember I am a UTEP graduate in geology.  A significant number of my classes involved schlepping thru the local vegetation.

I was referring to the climate, if one can call it that.

Miscoehill said:

I've gone from a pop up to a travel trailer and it's doubtful that I will go back.  One big advantage pulling the pop-up was the visibility when driving and backing, not to mention better mpg.  The disadvantage was the need to do so much rearranging of gear to change between travel and being setup.  With the additional space, and the interior pretty much ready to go upon arrival at a campsite, and not having to worry about wet canvas, I prefer the travel trailer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom