fuel usage Vs speed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark R.

I thought I would post this link as I find it informative and eye opening. I recommend you review this just prior to leaving on your next trip, I am sure most all of you folks know about this but it is done nice and is a reminder for all of us as diesel tops 5++ per gal.!

http://ohe.cat.com/cda/files/287140/7/LEGT5364.pdf

Its small comfort that as I plod along in my gasser that those diesel pushers that are passing me at 80+ are paying for it. I used to be told that a d/p got better fuel economy at 75 than an old style gasser (454) did at 60.

Woody

Woody the Arabs have done what all the engineers have not been able to do in the last 100 years, they have made gas engines move more mass further on a dollar of gasoline then a diesel powered engine can move on a dollars worth of diesel!

I will tell you a secret but do not tell anyone on this forum as I do not want everyone to start doing what I do, I calibrated my speedometer to read 8 miles higher then the coaches actual speed. Now I cruise at a steady 68 all day long saving money and feeling good about making great time too! ;D

Mark R. said:
I will tell you a secret but do not tell anyone on this forum as I do not want everyone to start doing what I do, I calibrated my speedometer to read 8 miles higher then the coaches actual speed. Now I cruise at a steady 68 all day long saving money and feeling good about making great time too! ;D

Good plan bet it works too.

Ron if diesel hits 6.00 I am increasing the speed offset to 12 mph, if they raise the price I raise the offset!

Mark R. said:
Ron if diesel hits 6.00 I am increasing the speed offset to 12 mph, if they raise the price I raise the offset!

Excellent plan.  Why I might be able to do that and my driver wouldn't even know it. ;D

Hi. I'm the dull tack in the box so I'm asking how changing the speedo is done. I have a '06 Ford E450 V10. Thanks for the idea even though I mostly drive near the speed limit.  ..Vic.

[edit]fixed broken quote tag[/edit]

Mark R. said:
Dear "DULL TACK" just a joke! ;)
Ya had me scratching my bald head! I?m not a mechanic but I?ve been fixin for too long, remember 6V batteries and DC generators? In my head scratching I was trying to remember which,  larger or smaller tires would do the same thing.

Mark

Thanks; that is good data. There are a number of things at the URL that I did not know and have always wondered about. I don't know of anything that detailed about Cummins.

However, I for one am not going to let a bunch of muslim, african, or south american thugs dictate how I drive. I drive my MH with a tow at 65 mph and use full boost on grades. Just like I did when diesel was $2 per gallon. I drive my car at 80 to 90 mph on open freeways and like to use full acceleration, and I am going to continue to due so if fuel goes to $10 a gal. I will just work harder to pay for it.

Bob

In my head scratching I was trying to remember which,  larger or smaller tires would do the same thing.
In increase in tire diameter (and therefore circumference) will decrease the RPMs per mile, making the speedometer and odometer read low i.e. you will travel at an actual speed greater than what the speedo shows.

To get the effect desired here, you would have to decrease tire diameter/circumference so that the speedo showed a higher speed than actual. It would have to be a rather substantial change to get 5-8 mph difference.

Here is a Tire speed calculator you can play with.

re the comment from Robert above

"However, I for one am not going to let a bunch of muslim, african, or south american thugs dictate how I drive. I drive my MH with a tow at 65 mph and use full boost on grades."

Robert, you have this back to front.
It is how you are driving that is driving up the price of fuel.
American demand for fuel, higher than anywhere else in the world, is just about the major factor in the market. It's a huge  part of the supply/demand equation.
Those foreign guys are just trying to make a buck, same as the American oil companies. They may be rapacious, but as long as we go on increasing demand it will continue.

No offence meant
Rankjo

Actually one can re-calibrate a speedometer, 2 ways depending on the kind of meter.

Not an easy job though

Easier to re-calibate the driver..  I've found I like 55mph

Rankio

I disagree. It is our cowardly government that caves in to the idiot greens and refuses to drill, convert coal, mine and convert oil shale, and build nuclear power plants.. It is the supply side of the equation that we have screwed up. If we did our job there would be plenty of oil and the thugs could drink theirs.

Bob

Let me try again.
Did you know that there is a distinct possibility there will be no ice over the North Pole this season? No ice??
My generation will survive this, but unless we reverse something, the next generations are going to get hints of the end of the world.
We all know that things are going wrong, but unless we individually start doing something we will go the way of the many other species that overwhelmed their resources.

Rankjo

That is bunk, rankjo. I have an article here, which I want you to read. I'll have to scan it into the computer, may take me a few days. Don't forget to smile, rankjo.

carson FL

Politics aside, the article posted in the first message in this thread has some good info about how speed affects fuel usage, which is, after all, what this thread started out about. From personal experience, I know that our fuel mileage improved this winter when Mike made a conscious choice to keep his speed down. Others here on the forum have had the same improved fuel mileage experience.

Wendy
Cortez CO

Robert Himbarger said:
Rankio

I disagree. It is our cowardly government that caves in to the idiot greens and refuses to drill, convert coal, mine and convert oil shale, and build nuclear power plants.. It is the supply side of the equation that we have screwed up. If we did our job there would be plenty of oil and the thugs could drink theirs.

Bob
=====================================================================================

Well said and we agree with you!!!!!

Jack and Liz Pearce

Robert Himbarger said:
Rankio

Bob

To sum it up in just two words.  Washington DC  Incompetence.

Another side to this;

If you increase the overall diameter of your wheel&tyre combination you will be as a result achieving lower engine RPM at your desired cruising speed.

If you used GPS to be certain of the speed then,. for example if currently 2300rpm is 56mph then on a larger diameter wheel&tyre its possible to reduce this somewhat..

Can someone do the maths?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom