Wyoming boys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Having been with Ron in his old stomping grounds and listening to his stories about some of the things they did - it's a miracle he made it through his teens, much less into middle age and beyond!  ;D

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Having been with Ron in his old stomping grounds and listening to his stories about some of the things they did - it's a miracle he made it through his teens, much less into middle age and beyond!  ;D

AMEN, Ardra .... and ditto for Jim Godward.  :D

Margi

ArdraF said:

ArdraF

I was very lucky I guess.  I shutter everytime we drive past the Palisades West of Green River where I fell over the edge and ended up on a narrow ledge. 

Ray,The reason I don't supply my pic is I will have my 55th. this summer and I thought I looked old.(JOKE). My last two times in Jackson Hole both The Veep and Harrison Ford  were in town, between Security and Paparazzi it was not too great! OH, I forgot  to mention two busloads of Far East Tourista's taking their ride on the tram.

Ron said:
I was very lucky I guess.  I shutter everytime we drive past the Palisades West of Green River where I fell over the edge and ended up on a narrow ledge. 

There are a couple of spots on the Yellowstone that give me the same feeling along with a spot on Sheep mountain road that does the same.  A couple of near downdings and a near miss by a rattle snake, fangs stuck in my boot with the venom running down inside on my leg.  We were both very lucky.

While we're under the shade tree and in the Wyoming-Montana neighborhood -- anybody ever take a motorhome across Beartooth Pass between Yellowstone and Red Lodge, Montana? Is there a more beautiful and literally breath-taking drive in this country? None that I've seen.

I have  never done it but people do.  I prefer to enjoy m yself and watch the scenery rather than have to drive that pass.  We stay in Red Lodge and make a loop up the pass and across the Chiel Joseph Hwy and then back to Red Lodge via an alternate route or back the same way.  The view is different going up and coming down.  G

It's not that tough if you wait until late July or August and are certain you won't get a freak snowstorm. My first time out in a motorhome was a 38-footer. By the time we got to Yellowstone I was pretty comfortable. Took the whole family across the pass and took the best pictures of our lives. That was about ten years ago and I still can't get over the thrill of that drive. The road is pretty decent. Although, summertime is, as you said Ron -- construction season.

James Godward said:
There are a couple of spots on the Yellowstone that give me the same feeling along with a spot on Sheep mountain road that does the same.  A couple of near downdings and a near miss by a rattle snake, fangs stuck in my boot with the venom running down inside on my leg.  We were both very lucky.

Obviously we both had somebody looking over us.  Guess it was because we were so good. ;D

Cricketdaddy said:
While we're under the shade tree and in the Wyoming-Montana neighborhood -- anybody ever take a motorhome across Beartooth Pass between Yellowstone and Red Lodge, Montana? Is there a more beautiful and literally breath-taking drive in this country? None that I've seen.

I have also felt the same about the Chief Joseph Beartooth drive.  I believe the scenery over that drive is far superior than Yellowstone.  We have a small motorhome on that pass but I don't think they were enjoying the ride much.  That route is much more enjoyable when viewed from the toad.  I was toll yesterday there is still snow on the Beartooth.

For those who don't know the place we're talking about, Beartooth Highway and Pass runs just shy of 70 miles between the Northeastern entrance to Yellowstone and Red Lodge, Montana. Charles Kurault called it, "the most beautiful drive in America."

As Ron just pointed out the snow lingers well into summer high above the timberline on the highway which is surrounded by 20 peaks exceeding 12,000 feet in elevation. I was there in late July. It was cold with fabulous meadows of wildflowers peeking through snow patches.

There are a lot of websites on Beartooth but most of them are long on words and short on pictures. Just as well because as with the Grand Canyon you can't do the place justice with a camera. But here's a pretty good variety of shots. http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/2281/photos.html Click on the thumbnails to enlarge them.

Ron is dead right about it being a more enjoyable ride in a smaller vehicle but it is driveable in a coach, assuming good weather, and there are plenty of turnouts.

Beartooth HWY. was hit by huge runoffs not many years ago Pass remained closed while powers to be wanted not to repair it but to ruin it by taking out most of the hairpins, making a much faster ride into the NE YNP entrance. Thank Goodness sanity prevailed. Love all  the roadways but not in Class A,It was always the Toad or my HD. Family was in Columbus MT, north of  Red Lodge for seven years. I have entered YNP from all entrances, NE is my favorite.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom