I am in market for TOAD - Your vote for fav TOAD and Y.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bchristo

Heading back to Indiana from Santa Fe NM. ON trip here, TOAD totaled in towing accident. What is your favorite? I have a 2000 Winn. Journey 275HP Diesel. Thanks for disscussion.

bchristo said:
Heading back to Indiana from Santa Fe NM. ON trip here, TOAD totaled in towing accident. What is your favorite? I have a 2000 Winn. Journey 275HP Diesel. Thanks for disscussion.

We have towed Jeep GC for over 100K miles.  No modifications required or limits on towing.  Instructions for towing provided in the owners manual.  Others have had good results with the Grand Vitara.

I have been towing a 2004 Jeep Liberty and find it to be very very good for the same reasons as Ron.  Easy to hook up and go.

Jeep GC is probably the best car if you want to do lots of off road 4 wheeling.  We had one but now have a 2004 Acura MDX because...

It has EXCELLENT safety ratings/features.  This is #1 with us.
It has electric 4 wheel lockers so we can do off road 4 wheeling for all easy and most moderate trails.  We gave up a little
    in 4 wheeling but we really drive 99% of the miles on hardtop roads,
It carries  6 adults so 3 couples can go to dinner together in the same car
It got EXCELLENT reliability ratings and EXCELLENT crash test results and decent gas mileage.
It has LARGE windows (tall) for visibility
It is towable 4 wheels down thru the 2005 model.  The 2006 and on is NOT towable.
The M & G air brake system can be installed
The A/C and heater controls are separate front and rear so the folks in the rear can control it themselves
Acura dealer can install rear radar detectors that worn you if anything is close behind you.  We had the
    dealer install them and they work great.
I recognise that everybodies back is different but the Acura MDX's 8-way power seats are more comfortable than were the seats
    on our Jeep GC.  Also the rear seat legroom is much more than was the Jeep GC.

JerryF

I have two toads and I like them both,a Chevy Suburban and a 67 Ford Fairlane 500 wagon (with the new MAGIC DOOR), they both seat 8 so you can bring 4 couples and their luggage with you to dinner and everyone has elbow room after dinner, and go off road in the Suburban when needed to pull out little Jeep's. ;D

If I could have my choice of any vehicle to put behind the RV... IT would be a Jeep. No question

Other options might be variations on that theme (IE: the Hummer, or one of 'em, if they were not so ugly)

But #1 on the list is a Jeep.

I believe the new Grand Cherokees and Commanders safety tests are equal  or nearly so to the highest safety rated vehicles. But then many vehicles have improved in the safety area.  Also many folks have the M&G sytem on their GC.

Jeep seems to be the word.

I have been towing mine for 4 years and it's the greatest. IMHO.

If you don't mind cramped quarters and a rough ride, and looking cool, get one of these.
My DW drives it all the time, while I'm stuck with the old Minivan. And we are both grandparents.  ;D

Take a look at the pix below.  It's a 2000.
carson FL

Attachments

• Jeep side.jpg
    Jeep side.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Jeep large front.jpg
    Jeep large front.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Jeep Wrangler TJ.jpg
    Jeep Wrangler TJ.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 28
When we were shopping for our first toad weight was a big issue for our Pace Arrow so we ended up with a CRV. We just replaced that 2002 with a new 2008 CRV and have had great luck with both of them. We average 23MPG with the 208 and see 28-29MPG on the highway.

With a 275HP Journey the 3400 lb Honda will tow easier than the heavier Jeeps.

When I got back into an RV, I was smart(lucky) to get the towing guide from Motor Home Mag. I almost purchased an 04 GC (Jeep) but Dayton Andrews told me that the 05 had the neatest Transfer Case and my dear ol friend was right. So easy , no grinding, and tows  all over the US with no tire wear. Daimler bailed out but left Jeep(Chrysler) the better for it.

I suspect that if we were in the market to buy a towed vehicle right now, we'd probably get a Honda CRV.

harley man said:
When I got back into an RV, I was smart(lucky) to get the towing guide from Motor Home Mag. I almost purchased an 04 GC (Jeep) but Dayton Andrews told me that the 05 had the neatest Transfer Case and my dear ol friend was right. So easy , no grinding, and tows  all over the US with no tire wear. Daimler bailed out but left Jeep(Chrysler) the better for it.

Actually I think the pre 2005 GC transfer cases.  We have had two previous to the 2006 and had no problems with the transfer cases in any of them.  The 2006 is OK.  I can say that I am not impressed with many things Daimler influenced as far as the 2006 goes but not enough that I plan to change anytime soon.

Before you get a "real" Jeep I suggest that you climb into the rear seat and then TRY to get out.

JerryF

You should have seen Jerry trying to get out of our niece's Jeep Wrangler!  Great laughs by all!  And those of you who know him realize he's a pretty nimble fellow....

ArdraF

Ardra

>>And those of you who know him realize he's a pretty nimble fellow....<<

Was it similar to his folding/unfolding a LaFuma chair.<G>

There are dozens of cars & SUVs that can be towed easily. What do you want in a vehicle besides the ability to tow it? How big in terms of passengers and cargo carrying? Ride, quietness, amenities, etc? Fuel economy? Is offroad capability (e.g. 4WD) a plus? How about a pick-up truck?  Automatic transmission a necessity?  There are numerous SUVs, several sedans, and various pick-up trucks too. Jeeps are one choice, but by no means the only one. Ford, Lincoln, GMC, Chevy, Honda, Saturn, Buick, Suzuki, Pontiac, Mazda, to name a few others. There is even a Mercedes (the Smart car).

Take a look at the Motohome Magzine Dinghy Towing Guide and see what tickles your fancy. Than ask here for opinions about the type of vehicle you would find useful in your life.

Cobalt - factory approved for dinghy towing, economical to buy & drive, reasonable to insure, doesn't tempt anyone to steal it, fits two great & four reasonably well.

What others prefer is irrelevant.  As Gary states, decide what you want your towed to do and then look at vehicles that meet those requirements and are towable.  Once you tell us what you want in a vehicle, we can help you narrow down your choices.

Thanks for discussion. For me light wieght is important. Four wheel drive is not. A little older model as I would like to spend 13 or 14 thou. Move 4 people easily. Be able to tow with 4 wheels on ground - as opposed to Dolly. Prob will be used as my 15 - soon to be 16 YO daughter's first car - So high on safty features.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom